Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Kyle Korienek

Default I'm An Adult, I Can Handle Criticism...

Alright folks, got a pair of bad contrast rejects, need some "professional" guidance on them. Not the most appealing or have the "wow" factor, but you know, why not try and share them:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...97&key=7810234
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...96&key=2132477

As always, your help is appreciated...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
coaststarlight14

The first one could definitely use contrast. It looks like you used too much fill light as the trucks are very noisy as well as the rest of the train and road.

Boost the second one's contrast, that should fix it.

Photos on RP: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=39940
coaststarlight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Insert_Name_Here

Both need more contrast and both have a bad yellow tint to them
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
Both need more contrast and both have a bad yellow tint to them
Yup. They both look a bit flat and lack any "pop." Boost the contrast and saturate just a touch.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Kyle Korienek

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 461871
Photograph © Kyle Korienek

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 461872
Photograph © Kyle Korienek

Contrast boost on them both, added just a touch of saturation on one, and boom, we have success...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation A Different Version

Name:  RPRP.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  791.8 KB

d
f
g
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Good Lord... I know I shot this at ISO 800, but I don't think you got this one grainy enough...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Kyle Korienek

Or maybe I wanted to copy a trendsetter and put a Travis Dewitz style to it...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Good Lord... I know I shot this at ISO 800, but I don't think you got this one grainy enough...
My intent was to show what the process would do color and contrast wise.

It does make things grainy when you start with a small file size and it works much better shooting RAW.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
My intent was to show what the process would do color and contrast wise.

It does make things grainy when you start with a small file size and it works much better shooting RAW.
Looking at them side by side, it does show I was grossly flat, and I may redo the standard wedgie with a little noise reduction. Winter is such a weird time to shoot, RP really likes them "Norman Rockwelled" when there is snow on the ground or snow falling, kind of opposite from what I notice with the other 3 seasons (we have 4 in MI, HG...).

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
coborn35

Kyle, FWIW Im not sure how much that railroad would care but generally posting a picture of a clear and obvious rules violation (especially with how sensitive that one is) is generally frowned upon, as a courtesy to the crew. Im sure you know the crew and all that just passing it along.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

And the violation is?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #13
Kyle Korienek

He's referring to the loco in the foul with the switch against it, I know the conductor quite well and I did ask in regards to whether it was okay later that night when his shift was done, he stated he had track authority, and it was ok, so no worries on that, even though I knew it was, and the reason I asked...

It can't be any worse than the CN employees I witnessed the other day beating on switch points with a crowbar to line it, and in between swings, hurling f-bombs at the RTC because it was broken.

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Kyle Korienek

Besides, Max, ask Steven Mckay, he knows even better than me how that RR functions, so I got backup on that lol!

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
He's referring to the loco in the foul with the switch against it...
I have no idea what this means. Can you explain?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
In simplest terms, were another train to roll across the switch from another direction, it would smack the one in the picture.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Like HG said, the locomotive is too far into the switch, it is supposed to stay back where it could not impede traffic on the line to which it is entering. On CN for example, it is rule 601:

"Leaving Equipment In The Clear: Equipment must not be left where it will foul another track or cause injury to other employees while riding on the side of cars or engines."

The foul zone is anywhere where the where the switch still maintains its curve into the other track, or where it would be deemed as safe as to not injure others. Not the one from the CN rule book, but close enough for this discussion:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aldon2012pg9-foulingtrack.jpg (48.0 KB, 102 views)

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Like HG said, the locomotive is too far into the switch, it is supposed to stay back where it could not impede traffic on the line to which it is entering. On CN for example, it is rule 601:

But the reality is, if you are in Dark Territory (track warrant) and you are the only job out on the line that day, or perhaps the entire railroad, it is ludicrous to park that far back from the points and have your conductor, switch man, brakeman, fireman or whatever the other guy who is not driving is called that day, walk all that way.

It really depends on where you are and who you are working for as to whether it is an actionable violation.

Sure under GCOR it is a no no, but big deal, unless the FRA is on your butt.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:

In simplest terms, were another train to roll across the switch from another direction, it would smack the one in the picture.
Ah, ok. I guess I didn't see any "switch against it" in the photo in question (the second one, I assume).
Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #20
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

On a class one, the engine in the picture with the guy hand throwing the switch is too far into it and therefore blocking the path of a train running strait through.

That is technicality a no no under the GCOR which is what most RR's follow.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Kyle, FWIW Im not sure how much that railroad would care but generally posting a picture of a clear and obvious rules violation (especially with how sensitive that one is) is generally frowned upon, as a courtesy to the crew. Im sure you know the crew and all that just passing it along.
Depending on the railroad, they might actually appreciate it and use the photo as an enforcement mechanism.

I think what you meant was "I'm not sure how much that EMPLOYEE would care about posting a picture of him clearly breaking the rules".

In which case, I would answer, dont f'ing break the rules then buddy...

I'm not a railroad employee nor pretend to be one, but personally, I think you all are making too much of this silly minor possible rule infraction. Depending on the territory, his track authority, etc, it could or could not be a rule violation. Hell, the guy could be in yard limits or have absolute block authority with no possibility of any other trains in the block and I dont think it would matter at all.

I'm not an armchair railroader and would never second guess something these guys who are professionals are doing...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
.....I'm not an armchair railroader and would never second guess something these guys who are professionals are doing...
I am, and I get all my information from both the Internet and Trains Magazine.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #23
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Depending on the railroad, they might actually appreciate it and use the photo as an enforcement mechanism.

I think what you meant was "I'm not sure how much that EMPLOYEE would care about posting a picture of him clearly breaking the rules".

In which case, I would answer, dont f'ing break the rules then buddy...

I'm not a railroad employee nor pretend to be one, but personally, I think you all are making too much of this silly minor possible rule infraction. Depending on the territory, his track authority, etc, it could or could not be a rule violation. Hell, the guy could be in yard limits or have absolute block authority with no possibility of any other trains in the block and I dont think it would matter at all.

I'm not an armchair railroader and would never second guess something these guys who are professionals are doing...
Well no... its a rules violation. Plain and simple. The safety bulletins the FRA puts out are pretty adamant about this one. There is no authority or whatever which could give you a pass to do this. Its my job to know these rules.

Furthermore, I don't think I made a big deal out of anything. I merely pointed out to Kyle that this could could get someone time off, as has happened to employees around here when managers find pictures like this. Most of the discussion was centered around two people arguing over what the rule is

I couldn't care less that he did it, didn't do it, did it 5 times fast or whatever. Not my railroad, not my problem. Just giving him a heads up, because like Jim said, most people on here aren't familiar with rules.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Well no... its a rules violation. Plain and simple. The safety bulletins the FRA puts out are pretty adamant about this one. There is no authority or whatever which could give you a pass to do this. Its my job to know these rules.

Furthermore, I don't think I made a big deal out of anything. I merely pointed out to Kyle that this could could get someone time off, as has happened to employees around here when managers find pictures like this. Most of the discussion was centered around two people arguing over what the rule is

I couldn't care less that he did it, didn't do it, did it 5 times fast or whatever. Not my railroad, not my problem. Just giving him a heads up, because like Jim said, most people on here aren't familiar with rules.
You are correct, it is a violation. What he technically did was illegal, are there other things that I have witnessed on other roads? Yes. Do the smaller ones really care that awful much from what I have noticed? Not really, but, it does create something that we don't discuss on here much: rules. Most people on here are not familiar with them at all, they know the rule of staying off railroad property, and even then, some people fail at that.

The rapport I have developed with these railroaders made my conscience say "I should ask if this is ok to share publicly." He stated he was ok with it (despite the rule, which I did bring up), and I went for it.

I personally thought it was cool that the rules were brought up, we went beyond the "technical photo theory" of the photo, and discussed the elements of the photo as pertaining to rules. I am interested in it... (sorry if I sounded like a nerdy asshole explaining what we discussed, it was how I baffled my professors with bullshit in college to get my degree).

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
On a class one, the engine in the picture with the guy hand throwing the switch is too far into it and therefore blocking the path of a train running strait through.

That is technicality a no no under the GCOR which is what most RR's follow.
What if that train was the only one with permission to be at that switch (or area) at that point in time? In that case, how could there be another train running straight through? What difference does it make when the switch was thrown in relation to where that train is if that train is the only one that could possibly be there?

Honest questions. I'm just a guy who takes train pics.