Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default Lerro Strasburg Charter.. Who all is coming?

Fellas,

After seeing the Roanoke images from the Lerro Productions charter, I had to attend the next one! With that being said, who all can I expect to meet there from the RP forums?

Should be a fun trip and if I have an enjoyable time that I am presuming, it'll be the first of many Lerro trips I plan on attending.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
lerro984

Im hoping to make it out for it too.
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
cliffmiddl

I will be there Chase - Cliff
cliffmiddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerro984 View Post
I'm hoping you make it too, Pete!

Be the Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I plan to be there as well.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
LOL!

I'll be there.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
NathBDP

Is this one of those things where they set up flood lights and everyone attempts to imitate O. W. Link? Most of all the photos I've seen from these events fall flat, despite much surface ornament.
NathBDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathBDP View Post
Is this one of those things where they set up flood lights and everyone attempts to imitate O. W. Link? Most of all the photos I've seen from these events fall flat, despite much surface ornament.
If you want to call it that.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Everyone who photographs trains has their individual likes and dislikes. Some shoot only current equipment and don't see the point of shooting steam. Others (like me ) have the exact opposite view. Since none of the common carriers run regular steam any more, steam enthusiasts are limited to photographing operations at tourist railroads. Their regular operations are almost exclusively with passenger equipment. In order to see a steam-powered freight, about the only alternative available is chartering. The night photography sessions that you mention are just one component of a typical charter. Most of the shots are done during the day. I believe that the specific charter that you are referring to was done indoors in a museum with inoperable locomotives. This particular one involves actual train operations at a tourist railroad.

BTW, the usual etiquette for private charters is not to discuss them in public forums such as this until after they have been run. Non-participants have a tendency to show up, and that can become a problem when they start fouling the field of fire. I was reluctant to respond to this thread until I saw the operator's sarcastic comment indicating he hoped to make it. We all certainly hope he does!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
BTW, the usual etiquette for private charters is not to discuss them in public forums such as this until after they have been run. Non-participants have a tendency to show up, and that can become a problem when they start fouling the field of fire. I was reluctant to respond to this thread until I saw the operator's sarcastic comment indicating he hoped to make it. We all certainly hope he does!
Kevin,

I understand. I can imagine that is a concern, hence why I didn't list the date, month, etc.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Yeah, some of those flat "ornamental" shots....
Image © Darryl Rule
PhotoID: 304142
Photograph © Darryl Rule

Image © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com
PhotoID: 304514
Photograph © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com

Image © Franklin Adams
PhotoID: 304425
Photograph © Franklin Adams

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 303998
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Image © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com
PhotoID: 304414
Photograph © Pete Lerro - www.Lerroproductions.com

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it does come across as sour grapes. I would have loved to have been at the shoot at Roanoke. And one of these days, I plan on going to Strasburg.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
Flowing

I'll be there. Many factors went into the decision to come:

1. have always wanted to visit Strasburg
2. have always wanted to see the 475
3. was looking for a photo freight to do this year, and this one didn't hurt my wallet too much
4. things at work are a little slow right now so might as well take advantage of it

I'll also be chasing the passenger runs all weekend (thanks for the tips AB2).
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #12
NSFan14

Wish I could make it, Unfortunatly ill be 2 days shy of being 18 and I can't leave town.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Right, because Link had much better equipment to work with back in the day.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
lerro984

Quote:

Gota love negative feedback from people who don't even post just 1 picture. I'd sure like to see what "doesn't fall flat".

Pete
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14 View Post
Wish I could make it, Unfortunatly ill be 2 days shy of being 18 and I can't leave town.
By order of the Sheriff or what?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
NathBDP

Quote:
Gota (sic) love negative feedback from people who don't even post just 1 picture. I'd sure like to see what "doesn't fall flat".

Pete
I have several images on this website. Anyway, since the perceived value of photographic work and one's words are weighed against each other, when Ansel Adams dismisses color photography as merely pretty without much emotional depth, I should keep my countenance? He is, after all, pretty well respected and his work sells well.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
I have several images on this website. Anyway, since the perceived value of photographic work and one's words are weighed against each other, when Ansel Adams dismisses color photography as merely pretty without much emotional depth, I should keep my countenance? He is, after all, pretty well respected and his work sells well.
That's usually what happens when you master something first. If he were taking those photographs today, he'd just be another photographer in the midst of hundreds (and perhaps thousands) who have whored out Yosemite.

At any rate, it's clear you have a disdain for steam photo charters. But what's the point in trying to diminish something that LOTS of people put their heart and a lot of hard work into? It makes no sense.

And just because Link did it first, all future attempts should be abandoned? Why even bother with ANY photography if that's the case?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-29-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
NathBDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Right, because Link had much better equipment to work with back in the day.
I saw three of Link's prints at a Christie's Photography auction here in NY a couple months back. One was the famous shot at the drive in theater with the articulated locomotive in the background, the second was a shot of a J class at the wash line with a workman dwarfed by the engine -- both surrounded by steam -- and the third a couple watching a train from a white porch.

They all had something in common. There was a depth given to the photographs through minimization of the actual railroad subject matter in the image. Not just photographs of trains, but much of his work had a larger narrative which encompassed the railroads running through his images. Independent of his technical approach, this is what makes his images so striking. Comparisons between Link and others are made in bad taste when they are similar only because they are taken at a certain time of day with similar lighting.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
I saw three of Link's prints at a Christie's Photography auction here in NY a couple months back. One was the famous shot at the drive in theater with the articulated locomotive in the background, the second was a shot of a J class at the wash line with a workman dwarfed by the engine -- both surrounded by steam -- and the third a couple watching a train from a white porch.

They all had something in common. There was a depth given to the photographs through minimization of the actual railroad subject matter in the image. Not just photographs of trains, but much of his work had a larger narrative which encompassed the railroads running through his images. Independent of his technical approach, this is what makes his images so striking. Comparisons between Link and others are made in bad taste when they are similar only on a technical level.
Yeah, because there aren't any photographers today capable of depth and narrative. And just how effective would that drive-in shot have been had he not "photoshopped" in an airplane on the big screen?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
NathBDP

Quote:
Yeah, because there aren't any photographers today capable of depth and narrative. And just how effective would that drive-in shot have been had he not "photoshopped" in an airplane on the big screen?
No, I am not saying that. I was confining my thoughts to the genre of night railroad photography with steam trains -- something these productions aim to recreate. Some of that stuff about minimizing the railroad aspect in a photograph is important beyond the genre.

Manipulation has been around since photography, no where am I taking issue with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #21
NathBDP

Quote:
That's usually what happens when you master something first. If he were taking those photographs today, he'd just be another photographer in the midst of hundreds (and perhaps thousands) who have whored out Yosemite.
Then who would all those imitators have to look to for "inspiration"?

Quote:
At any rate, it's clear you have a disdain for steam photo charters. But what's the point in trying to diminish something that LOTS of people put their heart and a lot of hard work into? It makes no sense.
I'm not diminishing it. I'm simply trying to understand it better.

Quote:
And just because Link did it first, all future attempts should be abandoned? Why even bother with ANY photography if that's the case?
History is a great teacher but a lousy original.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
No, I am not saying that. I was confining my thoughts to the genre of night railroad photography with steam trains -- something these productions aim to recreate. Some of that stuff about minimizing the railroad aspect in a photograph is important beyond the genre.
"Minimizing the railroad aspect" is only one approach - why are you so stuck on that concept? Who declared that the standard?

Quote:
I'm not diminishing it. I'm simply trying to understand it better.
You ARE???? Well, you are doing a fine job of disguising yourself as closed-minded.

Quote:
History is a great teacher but a lousy original.
This sounds like one of those quotes that is believed to be profound but is actually without meaning.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Is there a link to where I can get information on this photo shoot. I wouldn't mind going or this strictly a private deal?

Chris Z.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Okay, I found it on Peter Lerro's web site. Amazingly nice stuff. I wish I could take photos like that.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
John Craft

Quote:
Is this one of those things where they set up flood lights and everyone attempts to imitate O. W. Link?
While I can't speak for Pete, I've put together a few night photo sessions over the years, and characterizing them as 'attempting to imitate O. W. Link' is mistaken. I certainly admire the work he did, and derive some amount of inspiration from it, but I've never tried to 'imitate' a particular image or style.

The characterization also just ignores the majority of the event - the part happening in daytime. And the fact that, for most of us, the photos are only a small part of the reason for attending - it's fun.

So yeah, I'll be there at sunrise, not imitating anyone.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote