Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #651
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The image sat at the To24 position for the better part of the day, which will generally get you thousands of views. I'm lucky if once and a while, I can get one in the top 4 for an hour before its 24-hr clock expires. But mostly these days, I watch the heavily campaigned stuff whiz past mine.....or perhaps I should say whiz ON mine.
I find it is kinda luck of the draw??? I had a nice little snow blast photo Sunday that might have made it. Then a few showed up, not too obvious when there are almost 500 views and anything around the same time has 150 tops. Then a screeners choice shows up and the one we are talking about so mine died at 1000.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-14-2018 at 08:41 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #652
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Bad editing that is fixable in photoshop. A quick "hue" fix would have made it much more presentable. It's not going to fix the blown out parts, but the color would at least look a little more natural.
Well he was going for the sunrise look (per his comment) even though it appears the sun was above the horizon for at least an hour lol

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #653
RobJor

Quote:
The image sat at the To24 position for the better part of the day, which will generally get you thousands of views. I'm lucky if once and a while, I can get one in the top 4 for an hour before its 24-hr clock expires. But mostly these days, I watch the heavily campaigned stuff whiz past mine.....or perhaps I should say whiz ON mine.
Image © J Neu, Berlin
PhotoID: 648271
Photograph © J Neu, Berlin

Here is one poster I don't want to show up after one of mine. Maybe one of the steam guys can fill me in on this little gem to make it so popular, as there is little description.

Bob
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #654
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Image © J Neu, Berlin

Here is one poster I don't want to show up after one of mine. Maybe one of the steam guys can fill me in on this little gem to make it so popular, as there is little description.

Bob
The list of "linkers" is growing by leaps and bounds. It's not always Facebook either. There are some railroad forums out there, even in foreign countries, in which photographers are campaigning their stuff. Since RP took away our ability to see where the links come from, we can only wonder.

In a previous post, you mentioned that an image of yours had gotten 1,000 views in 24 hrs. Based on my observations of recent history here, any image that hits 1,000 views in 24 hrs without the benefit of a linking campaign or RP home page exposure, has done pretty darn well. One strange thing that I have been noticing is that once an image passes the 24-hr mark on RP, the views seem to stagnate to a much greater degree than in past years. Obviously, once an image disappears into the database ether, one would expect that views would accumulate much more slowly, but in past years, I have found that even shots that barely broke 500 views in 24 hrs later ended up with very respectable view-counts in the ensuing months. These days, not so much.

Perhaps the data base has gotten too massive.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #655
Decapod401

Quote:
The list of "linkers" is growing by leaps and bounds. It's not always Facebook either. There are some railroad forums out there, even in foreign countries, in which photographers are campaigning their stuff. Since RP took away our ability to see where the links come from, we can only wonder.
Lets face it Kevin, the world is changing. TO24 used to be a recognition of truly interesting and well-done photos. Now everybody wants a participation award. My mental checklist of "linkers" is also growing, including one contributor who used to be on the forums regularly. I don't like to call anybody out, but he has two shots positioned for TO24. At the same time, I have a shot with over twice as many favorites as his two images combined that will not make it, partially due to being "link-blocked". At least I have the satisfaction of not clicking on any of the linked photos to add to their inflated view counts.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #656
chris crook

Honest question: why does everyone get worked up about linkers and fake internet points? What does getting a top 24 mean to anyone? I has rarely been about merit, especially if you put a. a bunch of power, b. a wreck, c. boobs/legs/skin.

The truly great images will rack up views regardless, and everyone knows they are truly great images. But if guy links to his pictures and all his buddies go and look at it, who cares? If you are that concerned about numbers, do the same thing. Don't pretend there is honor in clicks.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #657
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook View Post
Honest question: why does everyone get worked up about linkers and fake internet points? What does getting a top 24 mean to anyone? I has rarely been about merit, especially if you put a. a bunch of power, b. a wreck, c. boobs/legs/skin.

The truly great images will rack up views regardless, and everyone knows they are truly great images. But if guy links to his pictures and all his buddies go and look at it, who cares? If you are that concerned about numbers, do the same thing. Don't pretend there is honor in clicks.
I'm not upset over my image not getting to TO24 - there is a good number of worthy images ahead of it in view counts right now. Yes, your examples have always been there, but they never dominated the front page. I've had more than my share of TO24 slots, and over the past three years, I've had a good run with view counts.

When I joined the site, I had two objectives. As a long-time slide shooter who had been largely dormant for 15-20 years, I wanted to get critical feedback of my learning process in digitizing my stuff, and I wanted to see if my old photos held up to modern standards. I've long since met those objectives, and that's fine.

The issue for me is what the site is about. If it has morphed from quality to view counts, that's admin's prerogative. It still annoys me when I see images like "New Brunswick meets Hiroshima" within spitting distance of the tagline, "The BEST railroad photos on the net". With the possible exception of "WTF" clicks, they would not be there based on an organic view count.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Last edited by Decapod401; 02-15-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #658
bigbassloyd

I don't have to be worked up to post my feelings... Boredom works equally well.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #659
KevinM

Quote:

OK, so why do you suppose that folks engage in linking campaigns? What's rationale behind that? And why put the images here vs Facebook, when you have a Facebook Page like Kevin Burkholder with a million "friends"?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #660
Grewup on the CW

Quote:

To me its easy to distinguish between who is posting and linking to other sites, the blown up view count speaks for itself. I dont post my "RR" pics anywhere other than here on RP and rrpicturearchives.net (and neither is linked to each other). Why? Because I am looking to perfect my "RR" photography. Who is better to get opinions, feedback and true view counts from? Social media trolls or railfans? To me, its those who truly appreciate the subject matter, and that would be the railfans. At least when we could see where the views where coming from, we had a gauge and knew how well the railfan community appreciated ours or other's photos. Before the campaigning, if and when our pics hit TOP24 on their own and with no other help from outside of RP, we knew how well it was appreciated. Now we just have to do more digging and process of elimination to determine what us true railfans want to know. So how about it RP??? Will you reinstate the view count link?
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #661
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
So how about it RP??? Will you reinstate the view count link?
Better yet, do this: Allow all of the linking that people's hearts desire and let 'em hide the links if they like. Just don't count linked views in determining which shots get homepage exposure under To24.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #662
amtrak07t

It's annoying when you have a bunch of good images that climbing in views...and someone submits a miserable photo to a blind screener and links it everywhere on the internet. When this happens, your photos don't get the would-be organic views from being displayed on the TO-24 and you miss out on PCA opportunities.

I remember when it was difficult to get a shot onto Railpictures. What happened? They'd never accept the "New Brunswick meets Heroshima" shot a few years ago.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #663
Decapod401

Quote:
Better yet, do this: Allow all of the linking that people's hearts desire and let 'em hide the links if they like. Just don't count linked views in determining which shots get homepage exposure under To24.
It has occurred to me that this may actually increase the total number of site views. The linked images will continue to get their high view count, but better images in the TO24 slots will receive more clicks from casual viewers than the crappy ones.

Eliminating the linked views from the TO24 count can't be that difficult. If the data about how many views are linked is there, and we all know that it is, it's a simple matter to subtract that number from total views. Just sayin', admin.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Last edited by Decapod401; 02-15-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #664
Joseph Cermak

What happened here? Over sharpening? Too much shadow correction? It's at a low enough ISO so what happened.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #665
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
What happened here? Over sharpening? Too much shadow correction? It's at a low enough ISO so what happened.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
I'd say overuse of the shadows tool for starters. It looks like an attempt to brighten a shot with really filtered sunlight. That can work, but a massive dash of shadows alone isn't the solution. The image looks washed out from a contrast and color standpoint.

It would be interesting if the photographer could tell us what he did to it and what software he used. I personally find that the shadows and highlights tools in Lightroom are far less harsh than they are in PS or PSE. The shadows tool in the Lightroom Tone Curve is especially gentle.

All I can say is we've probably all been there and done that.....and learned our lessons. Editing photos definitely has a learning curve.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #666
vcode455

Been on RP for 2 years but new to the forum. Primarily a slide shooter from 1983 to 2010. I've had stuff I thought was a slam dunk rejected, and stuff I didn't think would work be accepted. I think we are all a bit competitive whether we like to admit it or not. I know I question how a nice CN shot here in Wisconsin struggles to get 500 views when other CN shots get 10 or 20 times that amount. Or when 3 Alco's on an ore train get beat by a simple roster shot. I do post to a few selected Facebook sites, but I actually post the same image I use here, not a link to RP you have to open to see the shot. That said, I'm just glad I can share some images from the past (and a few current ones as well) for all to enjoy.

Greg

Last edited by vcode455; 02-16-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added name
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #667
Joseph Cermak

Quote:

All I can say is we've probably all been there and done that.....and learned our lessons. Editing photos definitely has a learning curve.
Ain't that the truth, I know I've come a long way since I started shooting 2 years ago.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #668
RobJor

Quote:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Well to use current slang, it is a nothing Burger. Three CSX units sitting in a yard? with no description to give them any significance. So no special reason to accept it.

The fore ground is all blown out snow, if you can't control that then try to compose to minimize it. The power looks poor. This is case where the screeener's would have done him a favor to reject it.

But then we don't know if this was a rebound on a rejection. I know sometimes myself what I end up with is not what I wanted to start.

Bob

We have come a long way Baby!! Here was my first photo rejected for unlevel and then accepted on appeal. I had one more and bowed out for 6 months.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 469161
Photograph © Robert Jordan
Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #669
KevinM

Quote:

The truly great images will rack up views regardless, and everyone knows they are truly great images.
Yep, truly great images rise to the top.

Here my friends, is the most popular image on RP.net for the past week, outclassing even John Peters' PotW and Luke Renish's SC from snowy Ely:

Image © J Neu, Berlin

This just points to the absurdity of allowing linking campaigns to determine which images get RP homepage exposure.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #670
miningcamper1

Quote:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Someone removed the shot. Interesting...

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #671
miningcamper1

Quote:
Yep, truly great images rise to the top.

Here my friends, is the most popular image on RP.net for the past week, outclassing even John Peters' PotW and Luke Renish's SC from snowy Ely:

Image © J Neu, Berlin

This just points to the absurdity of allowing linking campaigns to determine which images get RP homepage exposure.
10,000+ views for a b&w foreign steam shot- not even his best work...

If Chris and Chris won't do anything about the linking, they could certainly put 50 or 100 new photos on the front page rather than just 4. Just place them all on the bottom for convenient scrolling.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #672
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Bad editing plus terrible screening coming together to provide another facebook campaigned TO24 that should have been destroyed with rejections.

Great job to all involved with that disaster...

Loyd L.
Excellent synopsis. One of the worst processed shots on this site. Maybe only after this one...

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #673
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Image © Phillip Johnson
PhotoID: 647978
Photograph © Phillip Johnson

Holy color
Candyland is alive and well in North Carolina.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 AM   #674
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Image © Matt Landry
PhotoID: 648079
Photograph © Matt Landry

Just throwing this out for thoughts??

Bob
Third top shot of the week goes to this shameful shot!
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #675
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Third top shot of the week goes to this shameful shot!
Making Helen Keller squint..

Loyd L.