Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
abr

Default Trenton Derailment Cleanup - Similar to Previous Photo

Last Friday, NJ Transit had an incident in Trenton, where a locomotive in push mode and the coach ahead of it derailed. Since I work in the area, I was able to grab a few photos during my lunch hour. While I was there, an Amtrak crew began the cleanup process, separating the bulk of the trainset that remained on the rails and placing it on an adjacent track. This shot depicts that action in progress:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...24&key=5310612

I find the reason for the rejection to be very odd. No other contributor has published a photo of this incident. While I have a number of photos from Trenton on here, they are from other parts of the station and they certainly don't depict a scene like this. I had one other photo accepted from this shoot, but it's from the other end of the station and captures a different part of this process:

Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 665320
Photograph © Adam B. Reich

Any thoughts? Is it because of the number of photos I have from Trenton in the database? Are there other causes you see for rejection or is this one to hold and try to resubmit in a few months/years?

More than anything, I want to figure out whether to bother submitting any other photos from this incident. I hesistate to upload anything else for fear of rubbing the wrong screener the wrong way because I don't have a clearer understanding of what the issue is.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
Joseph Cermak

Other than not being able to explicitly tell that its a derailment or some type of incident without reading the caption and looking at the workers there, I don't see why it would be similar to something else. That rejection has always perplexed me in where it is and isn't applied...
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Decapod401

At first glance, all I noticed that was different was the presence of a passing train. Otherwise the end of a passenger car at about the same angle and same location in the frame was the same. Of course it was taken in a slightly different location with a different background.

To me, the accepted photo is uninteresting with a lot of dead space to the left. The rejected image is much more interesting, but the main subject of the photos, the train that derailed, is pretty much the same.

The takeaway here is pick the best image and go with it - quality over quantity.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post

The takeaway here is pick the best image and go with it - quality over quantity.
I agree. I prefer the rejected photo, simply because it has more interest (neither photo conveys a derailment).

Loyd L.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
KevinM

I think Joseph, Doug and Loyd have pretty well nailed it. Neither of these photos really looks like an accident photo, and without that "interest", you have to ask where the "interest" is. The screener probably decided to be generous and allow one, because there is an audience that likes that sort of stuff, but when he saw another one appear in the queue, decided that one was enough. I agree that the second one was the more interesting shot.

I've never been a fan of accident photos. I've posted exactly one in 10 years and I only posted that one because I watched it happen from the next car over.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
abr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I agree. I prefer the rejected photo, simply because it has more interest (neither photo conveys a derailment).

Loyd L.
I had a few photos from later in the afternoon that showed the derailed engine. The initial shot of it I submitted (before uploading these) had an issue and I had been so busy lately that I hadn't had the chance to go back and edit another one of my images of it until this week:

Image © Adam B. Reich
PhotoID: 666281
Photograph © Adam B. Reich

Here's my problem with the similar to previous rejection photo and the idea of choosing a "best photo" here: My intention was to tell a story and show some different parts of the "aftermath" of this minor derailment. With the first accepted photo, I wanted to highlight a few things that were somewhat unusual. Specifically, the sight of an open vestibule on NJ Transit is very uncommon. In those rare occasions where it is seen, it almost never has people in it, as it tends to be locked. The presence of an Amtrak crew in one is all the more unusual. Finally, I felt that the bridge at the west end of the station that added an interesting backdrop.

The rejected photo was taken facing the east end of the station, with a focus on the crew working on the derailment site itself. The overall scene was more interesting, but the background behind it was much different: a relatively dull concrete overpass. These weren't two photos from the same vantage point or with a slight shift. They were at different ends of the station, facing different directions and having much different backgrounds. Take away the location info and the only thing that even hints that these shots might be from the same location is the fact that they happen to feature the same type of coach with an open vestibule.

Given those differences, I did not/do not agree with the "similar photo" rejection. In a way, I found it ambiguous, such that I nearly avoided going back and uploading the photo of the derailed engine for fear that it might still be considered "too similar" since it still relates to the same event and was taken at the same location as the first accepted photo.

I do appreciate all of your insights and your clarification. I will certainly keep your points in mind when selecting what images to upload from a given event/scene going forward. With that being said, I would encourage the admins/screeners to be a little less broad in applying a "similar photo" rejection. If the vantage point/backdrop are different, as they were here, please consider the image on its own merit and the story the photographer may be trying to tell. Applying the "similar photo" rejection in this sort of situation without further explanation is liable to discourage less seasoned/younger contributors as appearing arbitrary...particularly if they don't know to take advantage of the wisdom of the regular contributors to this forum.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
ATSF666

Top shot when I just logged in!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Decapod401

In defense of the OP, the two photos below had only one other photo separating them. Nice shots, but definitely candidates for "similar to previous".

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 666666
Photograph © Steve Carter

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 666668

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
In defense of the OP, the two photos below had only one other photo separating them. Nice shots, but definitely candidates for "similar to previous".

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 666666

Image © Steve Carter
PhotoID: 666668
I noticed these as well. Never understood why someone would submit like that. I'm all for seeing different angles of the same train, but why not wait a week between submissions or something....
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I noticed these as well. Never understood why someone would submit like that. I'm all for seeing different angles of the same train, but why not wait a week between submissions or something....
Beats the hell outta me too.

Loyd L.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
ShortlinesUSA

And why would someone whose photos already get a lot of views without help employ a script to ensure their photos invariably make it to the front page? Many of us who do not participate in social media can't understand the need for "likes" and view counts. But for those who are afflicted with the disease, it's all that matters in the world.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #12
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
And why would someone whose photos already get a lot of views without help employ a script to ensure their photos invariably make it to the front page? Many of us who do not participate in social media can't understand the need for "likes" and view counts. But for those who are afflicted with the disease, it's all that matters in the world.
I'll second that while Im scratching my head trying to figure the mere fact that you can "write a script to boost views..." I didn't know there was such a thing. Guess I should've not slept in typing class cuz that was the closest thing to a key board we had back in the day....
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #13
miningcamper1

As soon as we enter school, we are graded on everything. There is nothing wrong with "good grades", provided we did not cheat to get them!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote