Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default Canon 40D under $700 refurb

Man this stuff is getting cheap! Adorama has the Canon 40D refurbished for $700 minus a nickel. By comparison, Amazon has a new 40D for $890, minus 12 cents. KEH's lowest used price is $789 for LN-.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DR.html

Hat Tip: Bob Atkins, via DPReview forums.

Having just purchased a refurb lens and in general being comfortable with used stuff, this seems like a fantastic deal.

Nonetheless I personally will stick with the trusty 20D as its street value seems to be in the low $400 range and I just don't see spending $300 right now, plus having then to upgrade my PSE3 to PSE7 or whatever. And maybe new spare batteries, don't know. But it is very, very tempting ...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I'd put street value for the 20D a little bit lower than that, but I really like both cameras. Being in your position, I'm not sure I'd justify the upgrade. No feature of the 40D really sticks out for me over the 20D in a way that applies to us.
Now go buy stuff you need.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
I'd put street value for the 20D a little bit lower than that, but I really like both cameras. Being in your position, I'm not sure I'd justify the upgrade. No feature of the 40D really sticks out for me over the 20D in a way that applies to us.
Now go buy stuff you need.
Yes, you might be right. I did a quick look at KEH for used prices and didn't do a scan of the local Craigslist.

The one feature I really would like to have is the 920k pixel 3" LCD; the 20D has a 230k 2.5", I think.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
trainboysd40

You wouldn't want to upgrade for the screen. Trust me on that one. If the 50D has the same screen as my mark II, it would be worth it, but the 40D isn't a 920K pixel screen. Not even close. It's probably a 230K as well, with crappy colour rendition and low resolution for the size.
The only thing I really have a complaint about on my 40D is the screen....
Old 04-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Ween

Yes, the 40D's screen is plenty big, but it's resolution and color is pretty bad...I could better tell things on my XT's screen than on the 40D's.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
trainboysd40

Definitely ditto on that. I've only used a 20D a couple of times, but I think the screen on it works better than the 40Ds when you think about it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
You wouldn't want to upgrade for the screen. Trust me on that one. If the 50D has the same screen as my mark II, it would be worth it, but the 40D isn't a 920K pixel screen. Not even close. It's probably a 230K as well, with crappy colour rendition and low resolution for the size.
The only thing I really have a complaint about on my 40D is the screen....
My mistake, you are right, it is 3" but only 230K.

I can no longer remember what I liked about the 40D when it came out. I'll continue to hold out, for the 50D, or 60D, or 70D ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Cinderpath

I really like the screen on my 40D, I have not had any problems with the color, etc. I thought the camera was a quantum leap from the 20D: Live View (I use this all the time) automatic dust cleaning, faster ISO/Less noise, Highlight tone priority (a good feature again) different menu structure, Interchangeable focus screens. The 30D had little on it different from the 20D, that I did not feel that upgrade was worth it, but from 20D to 40D was a jump. I sold my Eos 1D Mark II, for the 40D, and was surprised what a great value it was. Now I want a 5D Mark II.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4914
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Just think guys, the next round of "Big Player" Pro bodies from the popular brands will drop the price on the current Pro bodies like a rock. I'm very happy keeping my D300 around for quite sometime. However, I'll prob upgrade my D200 in 2 years or so, unless it wears out or I destroy it first! You Canon guys will be able to get a good used 1Ds MKIII at the current price of a 50D and us Nikon guys will be able to get a D3x for about the same price as a D700 is currently, in a year or two of course! I don't see any need to currently upgrade myself, unless someone REALLY needs to.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 04-13-2009 at 01:45 AM.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpath View Post
I really like the screen on my 40D, I have not had any problems with the color, etc. I thought the camera was a quantum leap from the 20D: Live View (I use this all the time) automatic dust cleaning, faster ISO/Less noise, Highlight tone priority (a good feature again) different menu structure, Interchangeable focus screens. The 30D had little on it different from the 20D, that I did not feel that upgrade was worth it, but from 20D to 40D was a jump. I sold my Eos 1D Mark II, for the 40D, and was surprised what a great value it was. Now I want a 5D Mark II.
Agreed, the 40D is a great camera - a very nice upgrade from my Rebel XT (the "baby brother" of the 20D). I love mine, and yes, I think it is worth upgrading from the 20D for. While the screen isn't absolutely perfect, it displays the photo better than my XT did (which differs from the same models as mentioned by someone else here). Though it's not perfect, it's fine to show you how the shot turned out in terms of exposure, color, etc. - it's more than enough for it's intended purpose.

As for the 5D Mark II, my friend just picked one up, and I'm extremely jealous - he hasn't let me play with it yet (course, I wouldn't either), but I've seen the features it has and what it's capable of, and I now intend to get one the first chance I can - a bit pricey, but well worth the money IMO.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Ween

Quote:
Though it's not perfect, it's fine to show you how the shot turned out in terms of exposure, color, etc. - it's more than enough for it's intended purpose.
Maybe mine's bad or something, but mine's too contrasty and soft. It's hard to see in the sun and if you increase the brightness, things look overexposed. Like I said, compared to the XT, it's worse for me. It's almost a handicap you have to learn to overcome.

However, when using Live View, it seems to be fine...
Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Maybe mine's bad or something, but mine's too contrasty and soft. It's hard to see in the sun and if you increase the brightness, things look overexposed. Like I said, compared to the XT, it's worse for me. It's almost a handicap you have to learn to overcome.

However, when using Live View, it seems to be fine...
Chris,
Not sure about Canon's screens but, Nikon's need to be set at Brightness level -2 to be close to accurate for viewing exposure. Also, keep in mind that every camera body has a handicap that needs to be overcome. Like my D200 over 400 ISO, I just bring six strobes to solve that!

P.S. Can you compare your screen to another 40D? If there is a big difference you should send it in for eval. and repair.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 04-13-2009 at 01:50 AM.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #13
Ween

In order to see the screen in sunlight, I have it set on the second highest setting. Anything less and it starts to get too dark (and I think I'm underexposing and I'm not).

I realize every body has its handicaps and I hope I'm not conveying something to the contrary, but the 40D is a terrific camera. It has so many plusses, but since the topic came up, it's easy to talk about the negatives (and the screen is a big negative for me).

But I don't let the screen hold me back. Just like with any camera, you learn its strengths and weaknesses and you use that knowledge to your advantage.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

I recently picked up at Adorama a $700 40D demo refurbished by Canon that puts my 20D into back-up status. The 40D and it's accessories were perfect, you wouldn't know them from mint. The box was a substitute and the cover of the manual was creased. (Neither an issue for me.) I have been using this strategy for a while to buy soon after the new model comes out and get refurbished to maximize the discount. This has been working working out very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderpath View Post
I really like the screen on my 40D, I have not had any problems with the color, etc. I thought the camera was a quantum leap from the 20D: Live View (I use this all the time) automatic dust cleaning, faster ISO/Less noise, Highlight tone priority (a good feature again) different menu structure, Interchangeable focus screens.
I second this. The bigger screen and the automatic dust cleaning are my favorite new features of the 40D over the 20D.

I personally did dust cleaning on the 20D because the sensor was such a dust magnet. I really hated having to. (Just ask my wife!) So far nothing on the 40D after 4 months. We'll see how it holds up.

So far a happy camper. Train Festival 2009 here we come!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
Ed Mullan

Just bought a new, non-refurb D200 from Best Buy..$600! It will arrive tomorrow, can't wait. It will meter with my three AlS manual focus lenses.

Cool Beans!

Ed
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
In order to see the screen in sunlight, I have it set on the second highest setting. Anything less and it starts to get too dark (and I think I'm underexposing and I'm not).

But I don't let the screen hold me back. Just like with any camera, you learn its strengths and weaknesses and you use that knowledge to your advantage.
I have been dealing with TV screens outside on movie productions for over 25 years. Against the sun, rarely does the little TV win by itself.

Here is a product from a company that has made good solutions for the movie industry for years. They now are making products for DSLR's.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017

This is something I'm considering for my 40D. I used a similar rubber loupe by Hoodman for the 20D. It was helpful though not perfect.

I have heard of people claiming that they were able to see this or that TV screen in full daylight. Except on $100,000 Steadicam rigs, I personally have not seen it myself.

As far as exposure determination in full sunlight goes, I look at the histogram and the highlight alert.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 04-13-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

40d = Great Camera. My screen has color issues, especially blue. My XTi has a better screen colorwise. My 40d body only was $790 new. Very happy. I would love a 5d but I like to shoot in the weather and I would rather kill a 40d then a 5d.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Chris,
Not sure about Canon's screens but, Nikon's need to be set at Brightness level -2 to be close to accurate for viewing exposure.
I find a similar situation with my 5D. A shot will look brilliant and well lit on the screen, and then when I open it on my computer it's much darker. Of course, I pay more attention to the histogram for proper exposures, but sometimes it's a tease when I see how great test shots look on the 5D's screen and I let myself get suckered into thinking I have the exposure set correctly.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

How about the screen on the XSi? I'm finding it somewhat difficult to view in sunny conditions and am trying to learn how to compensate for the difference from what I see on the LCD to what it actually looks like on my computer. I really do love the 3" LCD though as it totally dwarfs what I was used to.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
travsirocz

You can use a loupe and/or histogram.
http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3...9639206&sr=8-1
Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
You can use a loupe and/or histogram.
http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3...9639206&sr=8-1
And the not paying attention award goes to...
http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...0&postcount=16

That hoodie thing just looks obnoxious...and at $80, I think I'll use the shade provided by my hands instead!

Last edited by Ween; 04-13-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
travsirocz

Quote:

That hoodie thing just looks obnoxious...and at $80, I think I'll use the shade provided by my hands instead!
I got mine much less then $80. It works a lot better then your hands as it blocks out all light on all sides. Comes with a neck string. I rarely use it but works great when I need it. Histogram is king.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:

Thank you!

The Hoodman thing could be very helpful, blocking out all the sun light AND magnifying so I could see the image very well. (I need glasses to see the the screen critically anyway.) If I'm set up, with a tripod, not moving, and having the time to really analyze the shot, sure.

But if I'm runnin'/gunnin' a chase I'd would have a dorky THING around my neck that would get in the way every time I bend over to get something out of the camera bag; right in my line of sight every time. So...I dunno... still.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #24
odie

Just an FYI...
I picked up a legit NIB 50D with 28-135 IS lens new off of a reputable eBay seller for $1199, minus 14% through Microsoft's Live search cashback program for a grand total of $1031 shipped (arrived in two days).
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #25
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung View Post
How about the screen on the XSi? I'm finding it somewhat difficult to view in sunny conditions and am trying to learn how to compensate for the difference from what I see on the LCD to what it actually looks like on my computer. I really do love the 3" LCD though as it totally dwarfs what I was used to.
John, I have the XS, and I reset the LCD brightness to the 2nd lowest notch, which in testing, most closely matched what was on my monitor.

The center setting was giving me false hope after I blew a few shots because of the cheerfully bright display.

Loyd L.