Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Default New Camera Advice

I would like some thoughts and ideas on a new camera. I would like something that is in the $400 - $500 range at most. I would like a minimum of 5MP, and a minimum of a 10X (preferably 12X) optical zoom. I will be purchasing this new camera within the next four months, I thought it would be a good time to get thoughts and ideas from people that use these forums on RailPictures.net. I've been looking into the Sony Cyber-Shot line (H1, H2, H5).

Thank You.

Last edited by BSU John; 03-22-2006 at 11:43 PM.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
alexramos

Don't waste your money on a point and shoot camera. I think it would be best if you saved up a couple more hundred and bought a new or used DSLR... www.dpreview.com

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Pat Lorenz

I agree, there is nothing you can really do with a point and shoot. I am sure you could find something better as far as SLR or DSLR goes. Cannon has some simple DSLRs out i belive for that price range, but you wount be happy with a point and shoot.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
ssw9662

While a DSLR is probably the best choice if you can get some extra cash, I'd take a look at the Fuji S5200. I have one and it's a very good camera. It's technically a point and shoot but it has plenty of advanced features you'd find in a DSLR. You'll probably find one in the $300-$400 price range. Though, as I said before, if you can get a couple hundred extra dollars you'd be better off with a DSLR.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I appreciate the comments so far. I would love to get a camera that was a couple hundred dollars more than that but being a student I'm on a very tight budget with little cash to spare. The camera is going to be partially paid by me and partially paid by a birthday present to me. I really need to keep it below $500.00...someday I can upgrade again but for now this will have to do.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 AM   #6
alexramos

For around $550 you could get a decent good condition used Canon Digital Rebel with a lens on eBay.com. Check this out......

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCELLENT-Canon-...QQcmdZViewItem

After looking really quick on eBay most of the used Canon Rebel DSLR's are going for less then or around $500.

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
busyEMT

Take a photography class and use student loans to pay it off. But really, are there any camera shops which sell used ones? Chances are you may find one and have money left over to buy a medium range lens. $500 sounds like a lot for a "it will have to do" for now camera. There are reputable stores on eBay, or if you ever make down to the cities, National Camera Exchange is great.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
jaanfo

I won't recommend anything... I'm just going to tell you what I have and what I paid. It's point and shoot (sorry, not dedicated enough for an SLR here) but I think it's been great so far.

Olympus SP500-UZ, 6.0 Megapixels, 12x zoom, Fully manual / Shutter priority / "P" (dunno what it is, don't use it) / Fully automatic (sucks) / video. A couple other options I don't use as well.

I paid $299.99 on sale, stickers for about $370.

I've been using Olympus digitals since the 90s, love them... High quality, lasts years (just slowly burning out the family's older one from 2002... still takes pictures, but some of the buttons don't work), relatively inexpensive, uses common hardware and software: meaning they are easy to use.
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
Frederick

What kind of camera?

For Point and Shoot, there is also the S2 IS. They just came out with the S3 IS, though.

If you would like a dSLR, try the D50. It seems to be a really good value for the money. You can find the Digital Rebel XT on reputable sites (Like B&H photo, Profeel, and Beach Camera.) close to $700 with no lens. Keep in mind that the price will only drop over time...

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I'm seriously considering this camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch5.asp

Has anyone here used the Sony H1? The Sony H5 is the link I provided, the H3 also comes out around the same time with 1 less PM for $100.00 less and I think a few less features. Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSU John
I'm seriously considering this camera: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch5.asp

Has anyone here used the Sony H1? The Sony H5 is the link I provided, the H3 also comes out around the same time with 1 less PM for $100.00 less and I think a few less features. Any thoughts?
I use the Sony DSC-P200-I'm not working (disability) so DSLR is totally out of the question-I definitely sympathize! It works well for a P&S and am still much happier with it than film, and I shot slides for years.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4208 is where my shots are; anything after March 2005 is shot with it if you want to check them out. Bear in mind everything is post processed in Photoshop, though.

Rich
Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSU John

John, I have the H1, never had such a problem with it, great camera to take pictures of trains with or anything else and with the 12x optical zoom you can get some nice telephoto shots, plus I spent an extra 250 bucks Cdn for the telephoto for it.

trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Sounds like a good camera! As of right now I'm leaning towards the Sony H5 when it comes out, I'll have to read up on it and maybe go play with one to see how I like it. Keep the thoughts and comments coming! Thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #14
Bryan Jones

If you really want a good camera for the money, B&H Photo Video currently has the Nikon D50 DSLR body only for $485 (using promotional code PSMAR) which is an incredible price for a brand new DSLR. Its currently out of stock but you could still order once. Scrape up a little extra money to get a modest lens to start with and a mempry card and you have a camera that will blow away any point and shoot model of similar price or higher. $600 would get everything you need to get started and the flexibility of a DSLR will allow you much more growing room and more options to work with.

Bryan Jones
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote