Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default Just one of those shots!

Have you ever had a special shot that everything just fell together for you. This is mine. I am a CNW fan so just getting a shot of UP 1995 and CNW 8701 is cool. I have been lucky enough to see UP 1995 once a year for the last two years but it is always heading West in the morning away from the sun. Well this year it didn't come into Altoona, WI till 1am and left soon after. I was lucky because it came back from St. Paul the next morning. I thought I would be able to chase it East towards the sun but it was a crappy day. Instead UP 1995 and CNW 8701 waited in the yard untill the afternoon and was going to head back West to Saint Paul, MN. By the time they were getting ready to leave, the clouds broke and the sun came out and was now in the Western sky.
I set up in a favorite spot and waited. The sun was going in and out of the clouds so I was crossing my fingers. As I could hear the train blowing the crossings in Eau Claire, WI a big cloud covered the sun. 30 seconds before the locomotives hit the trestel the sun broke from the clouds and I got one of my favorite shots. The sun was out, the sky is interesting, and only CNW 8701 and UP 1995 were leading this train. Do you have a shot that you didn't think was going to work and then everything fell into place in the nic of time?

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 228667
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Last edited by travsirocz; 03-28-2008 at 03:40 AM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Not sure how I missed this shot when it was uploaded, but it's a beaut!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Here's my favorite "I can't believe that just worked out" shots which I'm sure most if not all are familiar with.
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 162453
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

After chasing the Steam to the Gap train from Scranton to East Stroudsburg, clouds began to roll in. We got word that the NS local was sitting in Portland (hadn't figure out the schedule yet) so after some discussion it was agreed to skip the northbound tender-forward trip back to Scranton for the west/south trip of H76. Just as we got to Portland about 10 minutes from East Stroudsburg, the train started rolling. As we pulled onto Rte. 611 to head out of Portland, I directed my cousin down to the "Horse Farm". We waited and waited along with two other railfans as the sun went in and out of the clouds. With clouds blocking the sun, the rumbling got closer and the nose of the Geep rounded the curve at a grueling 10mph. Lucky for us the winds were a bit faster than the train and the sun crept up on the train and stayed there. It was like one of those doomsday movies where you can see the big shadow coming closer and closer but in this case it was the sun and the train was staying just behind the line! Everything fell into place, our decision to chase H76 instead of the excursion, our choice of location, the sun, and the timing of the train. I've chased the local some 6 or 7 times after that and not once has it passed the "Horse Farm" when the sun lines up!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
TonytheTiger
Ex. Railroad Employee

Default Timing is Everything

HersheyPark's hours of operation in the spring have it closing at 6pm. I had been hoping for a "Richmond"-like photo of a monorail and an NS train crossing. Since the monorail crosses the mainline twice at this location, my chances were at least twice more than nil. I heard an eastbound approaching on my scanner at around closing time for the park, so I thought that my chances for this day where done. However, one of the two trainsets were heading back to the barn for the night, and, as it would happen, the eastbound arrived just at the right time. The only thing that would make this better is to have a westbound pass underneath. Something for me to try for maybe this year, eh?

Image © Rob Kitchen
PhotoID: 145227
Photograph © Rob Kitchen

You know you are old when the first car you owned is now considered a "Classic".
TonytheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

Here is mine...taken back in February...it was very cold and windy for the Vegas area...the cloud cover was complete one moment, and then partial the next...the dark again...until the train hit the detector 2 miles away...the sun finally broke again.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220964

Last edited by Nscalemike; 03-26-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscalemike
Here is mine...taken back in February...it was very cold and windy for the Vegas area...the cloud cover was complete one moment, and then partial the next...the dark again...until the train hit the detector 2 miles away...the sun finally broke again.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=220964
Tremendous, Mike! But the watermark detracts soo much.

Image © Nscalemike
PhotoID: 220964
Photograph © Nscalemike

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

You had just the perfect timing on that Rob. I almost caught the locomotives of a UP and BNSF coal trains at track speed in Grand Island, NE where the BNSF main crosses over the UP. Mike, your shot is cool and you can actually see how close you were to the shadow. Andrew's shot is awesome too.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Tremendous, Mike! But the watermark detracts soo much.

Image © Nscalemike
Photograph © Nscalemike
Not to mention ineffective, the attached file took me about 30 secs and I can think of at least 2 or 3 other ways to get rid of the watermark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UP_7746_at_MP_305_012808.jpg.86960.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2666  
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

Ok...I have to ask...how do you insert the smaller image into your text?

And now that I have had a chance to look at it more...I agree the watermark is distracting...it was the only time I have used it here on RPnet.

Mike
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nscalemike
Ok...I have to ask...how do you insert the smaller image into your text?

And now that I have had a chance to look at it more...I agree the watermark is distracting...it was the only time I have used it here on RPnet.

Mike

[photoid=######] Where the #'s are the image number.

Image © Nscalemike
Photograph © Nscalemike

Last edited by ken45; 03-26-2008 at 10:08 PM.
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Image © Glenn Davis
PhotoID: 199676
Photograph © Glenn Davis

Thats one where most of the elements fell together well, although it wasn't too hard, what with being next to the busiest runway at one of the busiest airports in the world, and a train going 15mph!
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

We went by this spot on our way down to Peoria, and I thought how cool it would be to get a shot here.
Image © Mike W.
PhotoID: 197519
Photograph © Mike W.

Then on our way back up this road to get to another spot, we spied this train going down the line, and quickly gave chase, of course, stopping at this spot.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
lock4244

This one. Nothing overly impressive about it... not exactly hard to catch a train doing 10mph or getting the flying snow on a line that gets 3 trains a week...plenty of time to build up the snowbanks.

But as the train approached I changed my mind and decided I did not like the broadside view and thought more of a head-on shot was in order, so I had to re-position. Now the great thing about snow is that it has a way of making the ground look flat after the wind has been blowing for awhile. Looking at where I was, where I wanted to be, and that the train was (albeit slowly) approaching, I had to hurry-up to get repositioned. Took a few steps, 6 inches of snow became two feet, down I go but recover quickly. A few more steps, down I go and fall on my face this time, snow all over the camera but NOT on the lens somehow! Get back up, again, more deep snow. I wind up standing in about 3 feet of snow... the trackside drainage ditch, leaning over as much as I can to get the train between the crossbucks.

I bet the crew laughed their butt's off if they saw me fumbling around.

Image © Mike Lockwood
PhotoID: 226271
Photograph © Mike Lockwood

EDIT: Can anyone out there explain why the [photoid=******] never, ever works for me?!

As an aside, a week later at the same spot, in the bottom left corner beyond the crossbuck there was a now a snowbank roughly 6 feet high. A pretty handy way to get some elevation. Got up on the snowbank and got the shot, turned around to see what the going away shot looked like, lost my footing and fell off... all in a days work

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #14
Mark Rosnick

This is one where I saw the fishermen in the boat and was hoping that a train would come by...and sure enough one did.

Image © Mark Rosnick
PhotoID: 164857
Photograph © Mark Rosnick
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #15
WembYard

One that sticks in my mind is this

Image © Janet Cottrell
PhotoID: 162094
Photograph © Janet Cottrell

We had just arrived at London City Airport during some changeable weather and were waiting on the platform for a train. Just as it came into view, a rainbow appeared, causing a minor panic as I fumbled in my bag for the camera - taking a picture was the last thing on my mind until then. There was just enough time to alter the camera settings and take a couple of steps to avoid some other passengers, so I was pleased it worked out in the circumstances.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #16
Mgoldman

From a series of 4 pans, I have to say I got lucky on this recent unshoeboxed negative - the sharpest of the series, rods down and
some cooperative smoke form the plume hovering within frame.

And, add to that, a scan that didn't pan out grainy.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 229172
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #17
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosnick
This is one where I saw the fishermen in the boat and was hoping that a train would come by...and sure enough one did.

Image © Mark Rosnick
PhotoID: 164857
Photograph © Mark Rosnick
Oh yeah, so tough to get a train over Rockville!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 03-27-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

I had been wanting to catch Ohio Central going across the Scioto for a while on this bridge, but I seem to never be in this area when they head home, finally I got lucky, this was a day when it was 5 outside, with the wind chill well below 0, and I'm standing on an overpass with a narrow walkway on it, finally the wait paid off:
Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 219805
Photograph © Geoff Brozny
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
Aaron Jors

Travis excellent shot you couldn't ask for anything better. I have yet to have this happen when shooting trains but I experienced this while shooting landscapes and it is great!
Aaron Jors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
Darryl Rule

Good topic Travis. I actually have two that fit this criteria, both pretty recent. I send out a homemade Christmas card every year, as I am sure many of you do as well. I was waiting at Lehigh Rd. crossing for the Eastbound Ice Harvest Train back in January. The day started out cloudy, but the sun had come out while I was at the crossing. Lehigh Rd crossing is in the middle of a pretty steep part of the Pocono Main, and we could hear the train coming. As the gates started going down, a cloud rolled over, and I thought we were done. However, just as the engine rounded the curve, the sun slowly started to reappear, just in time as it turned out to get my card shot for this year:
Image © Darryl Rule
PhotoID: 219691
Photograph © Darryl Rule

This one, I saw this location when we were heading West the day before, and wanted to get a train here on the way back. I got out of bed in our hotel in DeKalb, IL just in time to see the UP SD40 in the United Way scheme go ripping by the window. Depressed, I got dressed and we heading East back towards Indiana. As luck would have it, the train with the United Way SD40 got stopped due to track work around West Chicago allowing us to get ahead of them and get the shot I wanted:
Image © Darryl Rule
PhotoID: 193183
Photograph © Darryl Rule
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
EDIT: Can anyone out there explain why the [photoid=******] never, ever works for me?!
I think it happens or doesn't in this case if there is an underscore in the file name.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Here my shot that i all most didn't get, Craig had to stop short of crossing's to clean the snow off the window as the wiper gave out. Giving me a chances to get ahead and set up a new shot's.

With the wind blowing 25 to 35 MPH driving around drifts, and some times just no way to get in to a shot , as getting out and walking in wasn't smart by ones self. This was one of the Get out of the JEEP and walk 10 feet shoot and turn, duck , covering lens to keep the snow out. Thanks for the help
Image © Scott Marsh
PhotoID: 226683
Photograph © Scott Marsh

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 03-28-2008 at 02:57 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
I think it happens or doesn't in this case if there is an underscore in the file name.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll loose the underscores in the future and see if it starts working.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
Here my shot that i all most didn't get, Craig had to stop short of crossing's to clean the snow off the window as the wiper gave out. Giving me a chances to get ahead and set up a new shot's.

With the wind blowing 25 to 35 MPH driving around drifts, and some times just no way to get in to a shot , as getting out and walking in wasn't smart by ones self. This was one of the Get out of the JEEP and walk 10 feet shoot and turn, duck , covering lens to keep the snow out.
[PhotoID 226683]
You need an equals sign between photoID and the number.
Image © Scott Marsh
PhotoID: 226683
Photograph © Scott Marsh

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

This one would have to be mine.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After hearing of the OCS heading towards Pittsburgh,and getting a late start and getting held up along the way, i headed west to find a good angle. After talking with another RP contributor about spots, i stumbled across this spot, which was closed after 2 kids were killed when they pulled out in front of an EB Intermodal a few years ago. So i waited. I could hear an EB getting closer on the scanner as i waited for the OCS to show. The EB cleared about a minute before the OCS rolled around the bend. I waited till he was past the signal to start shooting. What could be better, Blue sky, ton of sun, nice train?

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote