Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default NS "Extension cord" line in SC to be shortlined

NS recently suspended service on the "extension cord" line out of Blacksburg, SC. In a recent STB filing, the Carolina Coastal Railway has provided notification of a lease agreement with the NS for the southern portion of the line from Blacksburg, SC to Kings Creek, SC to serve the Industrial Minerals plant.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.n...e?OpenDocument

Service should be begin the third week of February. This does not include the northern portion of the line from Blacksburg to Shelby, NC. The line was known as the "extension cord" line due to the pratice of placing an MU capable box car, or "extension cord" between the two locomotives used because weight limited bridges on the line could not handle the weight of two consecutive locomotives.

CLNA will likely only be using a single locomotive. I'm not even certain if the spacer car was used south of Blacksburg. Joe may know that info.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
FAdams

The spacer car was mainly used for the Buffalo Creek Bridge on the other end of the line but normally stayed in the consist when the went to Kings Creek.
Great to see someone picked it up!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...50402&nseq=141
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know. I'd heard different things about what may happen to this line and the line north of Blacksburg. Glad to see that at least one segment of the SB line will live on. As Franklin said, they did often just keep the spacer car on south of where it was actually needed as evident in these shots --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This shot isn't possible anymore since they widened Hwy. 5 and ripped this track of. But sometimes they did leave the spacer car in Blacksburg when they used only one unit.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

A few of us on the Carolina Rails YahooGroup are wondering when CLNA power will get to Blacksburg if it's not there already. It would seem they should be starting up operations pretty soon.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
ShortlinesUSA

Febuary 22nd is start date I have heard. A GP30 or GP35 should be the power, but I have no idea if it's made its way out of Wilson yet. Of course, that start date doesn't necessarily mean they'll be running trains then, just a matter having signed on the dotted line for the lease.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Febuary 22nd is start date I have heard. A GP30 or GP35 should be the power, but I have no idea if it's made its way out of Wilson yet. Of course, that start date doesn't necessarily mean they'll be running trains then, just a matter having signed on the dotted line for the lease.
The GP30 has been assigned to Blacksburg. It will leave Wilson tomorrow (Sunday Feb 13) and be taken to Raleigh to be delivered to the NS for transit. Operations will begin on Monday Feb 21 or when the locomotive arrives.

Industrial Minerals is currently transloading their outbound loads via truck to railcar at Spartanburg. Once the take-over takes place, they'll be back to loading directly to railcar at Kings Creek. Provided that NS gets the GP30 to Blacksburg in a timely manner, there should be a CLNA train running on the SB line the week of the 21st.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote