Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
jnohallman

Default Need help/opinions with a reject!

Hi all,

Just had this one rejected for being blurry. http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1035097779

Perhaps it's been too long since I've dealt with a photo submission, but I'm not seeing it. So, I need a few other pairs of eyes to point out the obvious to me and let me know if I can fix it. Thanks for the help!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
DWHonan

To me, it's pretty obvious that nothing in the image is crisply in focus. (You asked for "the obvious"...)
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
jnohallman

Ok. Back to the pictures folder.

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Just to pile on, the first thing I noted was the Amtrak on the nose was not crisp. Could be a sharpening issue, but it looks like a focusing thing to me.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
mark woody

I like the shot, not sure of the cropping but I have been no good at my own lately. Had a go anyway, sharpened 30/.5/0 PSE7.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-27-2014 at 10:52 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
JRMDC

For the train ID, don't just put in "66" (same number as the engine!), put in the right thing, please. If that is CSX track, it would be "CSX P066"

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

It looks like a lot of noise reduction was used and then it was sharpened.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
jnohallman

There was no noise reduction - but it was pretty heavily cropped down, so that's probably the issue. I'll let it go. As far as reporting the train, out of curiosity, if its CSX PO66, what does it become when it leaves CSX rails and enters the NEC?

Jon

Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
There was no noise reduction - but it was pretty heavily cropped down, so that's probably the issue. I'll let it go. As far as reporting the train, out of curiosity, if its CSX PO66, what does it become when it leaves CSX rails and enters the NEC?

Jon
I have no idea!

I have just looked at recent Amtrak shots on RP, and the numbering/naming is all over the board, no consistency at all, NEC or otherwise.

So my previous belief is incorrect, and I take back the comment. But I would like to see something more informative than just "66", just as for an engine number - and this I am sure of! - you don't just give the number, you give the railroad, as in CSXT 7521 or some such. Just doing 7521 is bad RP form.

For my NEC shots I did AMTK xxx but that is hardly authoritative. I thought I was copying the general pattern, but I guess not. And, looking further, my non-NEC Amtrak shots are not consistently identified either. I even have a CSX-located Amtrak shot that is AMTK P029 instead of CSX P029. Aargh!

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I have no idea!

I have just looked at recent Amtrak shots on RP, and the numbering/naming is all over the board, no consistency at all, NEC or otherwise.

So my previous belief is incorrect, and I take back the comment. But I would like to see something more informative than just "66", just as for an engine number - and this I am sure of! - you don't just give the number, you give the railroad, as in CSXT 7521 or some such. Just doing 7521 is bad RP form.

For my NEC shots I did AMTK xxx but that is hardly authoritative. I thought I was copying the general pattern, but I guess not. And, looking further, my non-NEC Amtrak shots are not consistently identified either. I even have a CSX-located Amtrak shot that is AMTK P029 instead of CSX P029. Aargh!

J
Most of my photos have no train information at all, because I'm not enough of a railfan (apparently, anyway) to know the ID info for the trains I photograph on modern Class 1 roads. I don't use a scanner, so I can't get the info that way either. And of course when it comes to tourist railroads, what is the proper etiquette anyway?

When it comes to Amtrak, I would think the number - 66 is this case - is informative. If you look at Amtrak's timetables, that's how you'll find it listed. In this case the train number happened to coincide with the locomotive number - a pleasant coincidence. However, if someone can point me to the correct rule for identifying an Amtrak train ID for RP purposes, I'll be happy to follow it for the benefit of others.

Jon

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
JRMDC

The issue is search. If I am looking at a picture labelled CSXT 7521, I can click on that and see all the shots on RP that report that engine. If I click on 66 in the train slot, what do I get? A mess.

Of course, as the train ID field is essentially unorganized on RP, at least in terms of passenger trains, the benefit of any one of us starting to follow some particular system is pretty small.

I personally take a modest interest in train numbers and in engines. I try to record the info anyway because I know others are much more interested.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
...... the Amtrak on the nose was not crisp.

You could fix it, but the whole nose is slightly out of focus.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #13
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The issue is search. If I am looking at a picture labelled CSXT 7521, I can click on that and see all the shots on RP that report that engine. If I click on 66 in the train slot, what do I get? A mess.

Of course, as the train ID field is essentially unorganized on RP, at least in terms of passenger trains, the benefit of any one of us starting to follow some particular system is pretty small.

I personally take a modest interest in train numbers and in engines. I try to record the info anyway because I know others are much more interested.
Another annoying thing is when people enter the train date as part of the ID (ex: Q541-22) which makes it impossible to crossreference. I guess its technically correct but defeats the point of having a separate field for train ID.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

My understanding is that the train ID is AMT 66 17... CSX calls it CSX PO66 17.

Note that Amtrak train IDs do not use Amtrak reporting marks, but rather an abbreviation. If you are to follow the rules of RP, that state that you need to put in the reporting marks and the symbol, that would actually make it AMTK AMT 66 17, which seems a bit unweildy.

As to the dislike of using the dates in the symbol, I understand the frustation that causes, but the date is part of the symbol. I've gone back and forth on that myself.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Another annoying thing is when people enter the train date as part of the ID (ex: Q541-22) which makes it impossible to crossreference. I guess its technically correct but defeats the point of having a separate field for train ID.
I think I may have entered the date like you listed above a time or two, but for the most part I try to avoid that. It's really irrelevant info as far as I'm concerned, even though the date of the train is often off a day or two from the actual date of the photograph (pretty common with coal trains in my area).

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #16
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
My understanding is that the train ID is AMT 66 17... CSX calls it CSX PO66 17.

Note that Amtrak train IDs do not use Amtrak reporting marks, but rather an abbreviation. If you are to follow the rules of RP, that state that you need to put in the reporting marks and the symbol, that would actually make it AMTK AMT 66 17, which seems a bit unweildy.

As to the dislike of using the dates in the symbol, I understand the frustation that causes, but the date is part of the symbol. I've gone back and forth on that myself.
It is but it negates the purpose of having a separate train ID field, I normally enter the train id without symbol in the field and then put the full symbol with the date in the caption.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
WMHeilman

I just have to jump in here and say that personally, I find it a little annoying when people enter false information. They may not realize it, but sometimes it's incredible how insanely wrong they are!

Oh, and while I'm at it, there's a box for the caption for a reason.. USE IT!

Irrelevant to the topic? Possibly.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
I just have to jump in here and say that personally, I find it a little annoying when people enter false information.
That's because you are a silly train geek.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote