Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Damaged

Default Extreme Trains

New series airs Tues. night Nov.11 on the history channel. Check your local listings.
http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=60696

Last edited by Damaged; 11-06-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
MTM9

Thanks, I always like to know when something like this is going to be on because I normally miss it.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM9
Thanks, I always like to know when something like this is going to be on because I normally miss it.
I'm just looking forward to something besides regurgitated sitcoms and idiotic "reality" shows. Like anybody acts real with a film crew around em.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

There's also Trains and Locomotives on RFD TV. "New" episodes air Monday eves. at 1800 EST, with replays at either 0100 or 0200 Tues. AM, and 0900 on Saturdays. The shows are usually Mark 1 videos played on air, but they runs spurts of vintage stuff too.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Also, Tougher in Alaska did a railroad episode.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Also, Tougher in Alaska did a railroad episode.
I saw that one. I don't like the host that much ( I think he's a tool) but I did like the episode."moose goosers" and blasting shells to trigger avalanches,very cool stuff.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged
I saw that one. I don't like the host that much ( I think he's a tool) but I did like the episode."moose goosers" and blasting shells to trigger avalanches,very cool stuff.
The host, I don't think anyone he interviews likes him either.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
travsirocz

Train info videos from the History Channel.

http://tinyurl.com/5vuk58
Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Damaged

Modern Marvels on Mon Nov 10 is Locomotives
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged
Modern Marvels on Mon Nov 10 is Locomotives
that isn't the one including Brookville Locomotive Corp., is it? I saw it includes mining locos. I missed that episode and haven't seen it replayed yet. I was to Brookville Loco Corp. a few weeks ago and got a tour. It was pretty cool.

There's another episode on Tues. about bullet trains:
http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...1&mini_id=1335
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
that isn't the one including Brookville Locomotive Corp., is it? I saw it includes mining locos. I missed that episode and haven't seen it replayed yet. I was to Brookville Loco Corp. a few weeks ago and got a tour. It was pretty cool.

Modern Marvels : Locomotives
Airs on Monday November 10 07:00 PM

Zip through the French countryside at nearly 300 MPH on the TGV--the fastest locomotive in the world. Ride on the little engines that could as they guide giant ships through the Panama Canal. Watch two locomotives crash head-on as the federal government monitors safety. Descend 700 feet below the earth's surface where mining locomotives move miners through a maze of tunnels. Then, it's a "jiffy lube" for locomotives inside America's largest maintenance shop. Finally, glide into the future with a locomotive that levitates on a cushion of air.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

For those who didn't watch, they did the series on NS's Manor Branch, close to where I used to live, now I live around 40 miles away. They're showing the mining at Bailey, the loading at Bailey on the MGA. Damn, it's only 7 minutes in and this is really cool to see this. To think, I've lived and grown up here and to see this on TV, pretty dang cool! My uncle works at Bailey as an engineer (Building and Mining, not train )

Last edited by asis80; 11-12-2008 at 06:08 AM.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
asis80

Pretty cool stuff. Too bad they only showed the mine and a few parts of the OC bridge and a few miles of the Pittsburgh line around Pittsburgh. They showed the Junita shops which was cool, Tunnel Hill, Johnstown, everything on the East Side on the Pittsburgh Line. The really cool thing I liked was the helper set they rode in. They showed the Curve, they even showed Steamtown and a bunch of other recognizable Pittsburgh Line stuff. They showed some loco physics, dynamic braking, "feeling" the train. It was very informative and very cool. Those of you who know the Pittsburgh Line, you should find this VERY VERY awesome.

Last edited by asis80; 11-12-2008 at 06:35 AM.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
NYC Nick

Anybody besides me notice that the train they rode on and the train in the aerial shots weren't the same.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
asis80

The train they were in was an EMD, 6733 I think, a SD60I. The aerial I THINK was a GE, Dash 9 perhaps.

Ben
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
PLEzero

I thought the show was overall poorly done. The host had nothing interesting to say and only seemed to make goofy sounds and make elementary comments. This was obvious in how little the crew seemed interested in speaking with him. The flashbacks like the Johnstown flood for example seemed irrelevant to what the show was supposed to be about and really broke up the flow. The videography also seemed to be below par. A lot of awkward zooms and pans. They showed a lot of the same shots over and over again, especially the arial views. Many of them were also run backwards to make it seem like a train they shot running forward was running in reverse. That makes it seem like the writers didn't write in enough shots for the entire show or the camera crew was too lazy to wait around to get proper shots for the editors to work with.

Overall, I think this show had a lot of potential to be interesting but failed miserably. Hopefully, future shows are done better or there might not be many more after that.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #17
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
I thought the show was overall poorly done. The host had nothing interesting to say and only seemed to make goofy sounds and make elementary comments. This was obvious in how little the crew seemed interested in speaking with him. The flashbacks like the Johnstown flood for example seemed irrelevant to what the show was supposed to be about and really broke up the flow. The videography also seemed to be below par. A lot of awkward zooms and pans. They showed a lot of the same shots over and over again, especially the arial views. Many of them were also run backwards to make it seem like a train they shot running forward was running in reverse. That makes it seem like the writers didn't write in enough shots for the entire show or the camera crew was too lazy to wait around to get proper shots for the editors to work with.

Overall, I think this show had a lot of potential to be interesting but failed miserably. Hopefully, future shows are done better or there might not be many more after that.

I agree with this also. cool seeing our local parts of railroading, but the way it was presented was lacking. I would have liked to see the street trackage through west brownsville, Shire Oaks yard (which I think is where the host was when they left "the yard" ), Southside, Homestead. But instead just a few seconds of the OC bridge. After that all it was, was a lot of helper crap over and over, cool for a second but MOVE ON, lol. And "GETTING THE TRAIN OVER THE ALLEGHENIES, OMG!" lol. Eh, it was o.k.

Ben
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
travsirocz

I thought the show was well done and interesting. The host was a little over the top but I am sure he was directed to be. You have to remember that this is a show for the general public. They are not railfans so it has to be entertaining for them. I liked the camera angles and all shows do the same tricks with there camera work. I am in the automotive field and I see many tv car mistakes so as railfans we see the errors there that others don't.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #19
nsrayman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
I agree with this also. cool seeing our local parts of railroading, but the way it was presented was lacking. I would have liked to see the street trackage through west brownsville, Shire Oaks yard (which I think is where the host was when they left "the yard" ), Southside, Homestead. But instead just a few seconds of the OC bridge. After that all it was, was a lot of helper crap over and over, cool for a second but MOVE ON, lol. And "GETTING THE TRAIN OVER THE ALLEGHENIES, OMG!" lol. Eh, it was o.k.

Ben

i agree with both of these comments.
nsrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #20
troy12n
Banned

The host was obnoxious. I felt sorry for the crews that had to endure this idiot. The editing gave me a headache, cutting from this scene to that scene. The content seemed aimed at a middle school student, some of it was actually WRONG, like the description of dynamic brakes.

I was pretty dissapointed. I wish they would bring back the series "Trains Unlimited", it was much better
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #21
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Tremendous potential, but in my view, a catrostrophic waste. By the time the Juniata shop tour rolled around, I was hoping the host would fall under the moving turntable. The guy is incredibly annoying and over the top.. hard to believe he's supposedly a real railroader. "Are you scared yet?" Please. Really makes you appreciate guys like Mike Rowe.

I turned it off after about 30 minutes, just as they cut to commercial with the teaser about the upcoming trip through "THE Horseshoe Curve."
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #22
lock4244

I don't think that show is available here in Canada... our Gov't tries to protect us from those Bad Americans by restricting alot of US content and forcing Canadian made s**t on us that nobody really watches

So anyways, I didn't see the show.

That said, I think it is usually wise to avoid anything with extreme in the title. If there is a more annoying buzz word in todays English, I haven't heard it. When extreme is used in a title of a show I think it's code for either "extremely annoying host" or "warning, an attempt has been made to make what is normally boring, average or decent content seem like it's far more exciting than it really is". EXTREME Lawnbowling, EXTREME Chess, EXTREME house sitting, EXTREME waiting at the bus stop... almost sounds interesting.

Well, thanks for reading, I'm off to do some more EXTREME posting

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #23
EMTRailfan

Agree with most that the show had potential, but lacked. I DVR'd both Extreme Trains and Extreme Logging that was on right behind it. I enjoyed the logging show much more. I say either get rid of THAT type of host, and find someone like Mike Rowe that actually get down and works with the job crews, or just let the RR personnel do the commentary like the Extreme Logging did. Nothing against the ET host, as I'm sure the show was probably written that way.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #24
Damaged

Default Episode 2 Cajon Pass

Wow! Very surprised at the negative feedback after episode 1. I think its pretty cool so far. Not everybody is a railhead who has been to Horseshoe or Cajon pass. I find it interesting to see the routes,MOW equipment in use etc. I thought the bit on the LA corridor was pretty good.

As far as the host goes hes a little over the top but better than some of the milk toast narrators on other History channel shows. Maybe we can get Brooke Burke to host a couple shows when shes done with Dancing with the stars.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
mw25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
I don't think that show is available here in Canada...
If you're interested in watching it , try the iTunes store. They have the first episode up right now for free and the second one for $1.99. It looks like it applies for both the US and Canadian stores.

Click here for my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here for my photos on Flickr
mw25 is offline   Reply With Quote