Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
bigiron

Default So much for trying to be creative, opinions ?

Well I thought I would try to come up with a new night shot and no matter what other issues the photo may have the "PEQ" is pretty much the kiss of death with any shot here so I ask you, do you agree with the rejection reason?
I like seeing signal shots at night but it seems like a flood of them at times and I honestly thought this material being somewhat new and railroad related would be of interest and merit to the site. Thinking outside the box seems to not interest the screeners on this one even if it's something that would be new to the content. Looking for some suggestions as to make it more appealing if possible to the screeners, thanks. I do have shots just of the detector but thought waiting for a possible meet with another train would add interest. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomes and thanks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...08&key=1342065

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Interesting, but it is hard to tell what is going on and there is no real subject.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 03-20-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
WMHeilman

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in that image. It's very grainy as well.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in that image. It's very grainy as well.
Fair enough, but the caption does explain it and if not enough here is more. There are two tracks wide at that point and the front set has a train going from left to right (EB into Selkirk) and the back tracks has a westbound lighting up the spaces in between the autoracks framing. I guess the fact it doesn't explain itself makes it a failed attempt and that is why I'm looking for opinions seeing it is something different not usually seen (definitely not in the daytime).

Rich
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
JRMDC

It doesn't work as representation nor as abstraction. As representation we can't tell what it is, and as abstraction it is a sloppy mess, no composition here, nothing holds the pieces together and helps us go around the shot, and that big white blob on the left is, well, a big white blob. It's just a bunch of chunks of light of various shapes and colors thrown into a frame, that is how it comes across to me. It has no structure.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
bigiron

Janusz, points well taken and that "big white blob" is the light which goes on and stays on for the entire duration of the train and a bit after it passes and does a good job of lighting up everything once there is no train. Guess I'll work on the idea and see what comes of it.

Rich
Old 03-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

What exactly are we looking at? An Andy Warhol painting reflecting raifanning on LSD?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Actually, quite nice - almost.

The caption is a big help but I think your picture needs to carry more weight.

You are definitely on to something good with the laser reader.

Consider lighting the foreground with car headlights, a single flash or even a spot light so the viewer knows what they are looking at instantly and let the caption supplement rather then explain the entire story.

Don't go daylight on it - just enough to light the foreground and perhaps the passing train side, but still dark enough for the laser to properly expose.

I'm impressed. It's getting harder and harder to think outside the box and you're well on your way.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

You need to master that shot. Great thinking outside the box. It is very cool shot I just need to see the rail a bit better, not quite so dark in the train area (but not lit well either) and less grain.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
bigiron

Thanks Mitch and Travis,

I'm well aware of the grain and can take of that and will incorporate your ideas and I agree it doesn't have enough punch as is but a work in progress. Thanks for the constructive help, much appreciated and now I just wish Pan Am had one of those readers as to avoid the 3 1/2 hour travel to see one, lol. I will get back there and work on it though.

Rich