Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
FF16

Question Norfolk Southern & CSX train names

does anybody have info on NS train names and where there orgin and destinations are?

Example NS 18M, Where does it originate from and what is is destination?

I am also looking for same info on CSX "Q" trains.
Any help would be appreciated. many thanks
FF16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
JRMDC

for CSX

http://www.bullsheet.com/

then choose Bulletin Board (the site was rearranged, don't know why they stuck stuff under that heading instead of under Features, where it used to be) and you will find not only train information but also engines

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

For NS and others: http://www.pacerfarm.org/wta.htm

Seems to be limited to the southern PA to VA region though.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

This NS list is ancient, but a place to start

www.trainchaser.us/NS_Trains.xls

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
UCRP93

Well, to get you started, I have some basic information.

First, you will need to know that CSX has certain designations that they use for different types of loads. For example, 'U' would be a "Unit" coal train. The letter designation does not necessarily represent the type of load that is being hauled. Here is a basic look at the lettering system on CSX:

A - locals
B - locals
C - locals
D - locals
E - Empty coal trains
F - locals
G - grain trains
H - locals
J - locals
K - bulk commodity trains
L - alternate routing for normal scheduled train
M - locals
N - Unit coal trains
O - locals
P - passenger operations
Q - standard freight symbol
R - rerouted train
S - second section of normal scheduled train
T - Unit coal trains
U - Unit Coal trains
V - Unit coal trains
W - Maintenance of Way operations
X - Extra scheduled operation
Y - Yard job operations
Z - foreign railroad operations

In the "Q" class, which is the standard letter designation for trains on CSX, the priority of the train can be classified by the numerals following the letter. The lower the number is, the higher the priority of the train.

Even numbers (east/northbound) odd numbers (west/southbound)
Q000 series - Extra moves, reefer trains (highest priority)
Q100 series - Intermodal traffic
Q200 series - Automotive traffic
Q300 series - General merchandise traffic
Q400 series - General merchandise traffic (eastern divisions)
Q500 series - General merchandise traffic (western divisions)
Q600 series - General merchandise traffic (north-south corridors)
Q700 series - Iron Ore, Juice traffic (lowest priority)

This part of the system does not apply to any other letter designations of the CSX symboling system except for L, R, S or X.

----------------------

As for Norfolk Southern, it is a whole different ballgame. Things are slightly more difficult, but you will get used to it after a while. The scanner will come in handy when learning these symbols.

NS does number their trains based on priority, but not in specific order like on CSX. For example, a train such as 117 is a mixed freight on NS, when train 205 is a trailer train. The lower the number does NOT mean that the train is higher in priority. Below is what I can get out of the NS symboling system.

Again, even numbers (east/northbound) odd numbers (west/southbound)
NS 100 series - general merchandise
NS 200 series - intermodal traffic
NS 300 series - general merchandise
NS 400 series - coal traffic
NS 500 series - coal traffic
NS 600 series - coal traffic
NS 800 series - bulk commodity
NS 900 series - extra traffic, passenger operations

That is not even close to all. On the former Conrail routing, train symbols do obtain a letter designation. Like, 10R, for example, is a mixed freight on NS. The 'R' signifies that this train was symbolized based off of old Conrail software, or it is routed solely on former CR trackage. The letter is absolutely insignificant, and does not boost or decrease priority any.

Also, when learning the coal trains on NS, know that the even-numbered coal trains (such as 416) are loaded, and odd-numbered coal trains (such as 417) are empty. NS does not use the directional numbering on their coal trains, like on the rest of their train fleet, or on CSX.

NS also adds letters to the symbol when a second section is present, or on a local train. On local trains, the letter is designated after a certain division on the railroad. For example, NS train "C01" is in the "Lake Erie Division", and any local that has the "C" in the symbol, runs in "Lake Erie division" territory.

When a letter comes into play for the second section of a train, usually the symbol will begin with the variable "M." For example, 11G has a second section - the train will be symboled as M1G. The first numeral in the symbol will be replaced by the letter designation - this signifies that it is a second section. I know the same applies with the variable "U" on coal trains in West Virginia.

As for recrewed trains, I am unsure if they obtain a new symbol, but what you have read here is about the extent of my knowledge of the symbols for both CSX and NS. I hope this comes in handy sometime for you.
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
nsrayman
Banned

NS 000 series - special moves I. E. hi & wide trains
NS 100 series - freight trains
NS 200 series - intermodal / COFC trains / rack trains
NS 300 series - same division freight trains
NS 400 series - grain trains
NS 500 series - grain trains
NS 700 series - coal trains
NS 900 series - extra movements I.E. lite engines , track testing.

extra trains replace first number with the proper letter :

example : an extra 735 would be a Q35.

1 M
2 I
3 W
4 X
5 Y
6 Z
7 Q

www.nslocos.com
nsrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
UCRP93

Well, at least give me some credit for having the basics.
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

http://members.trainorders.com/n8oay/TrainSymbols.htm

This site has some NS symbols. Click on the NS tab along the bottom. Seems slightly dated though, but I think it's newer than that spreadsheet.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
matth

Default NS Special Division Train Symbols

I don't know if this is the case on all NS divisions, but on the Illinois Division the NS has special symbols for their grain train "shuttles". Most of these trains move grain from outlying elevators located on the Lafayette, Brooklyn, and Springfield/Hannibal Districts to the big ADM plant in Decatur, IL. The symbols start with a 2 character district code followed by a letter. The Lafayette District is D1, the Springfield/Hannibal District D2, and the Brooklyn District D6. D is the code for the Illinois Division (a hold over from when it was once the Decatur Division) and the number is the code for the district. On the Springfield/Hannibal District the most common "special" symbols are D2A, D2G, D2M, and D2N.
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #10
NSfutureengineer24

Smile NS train names

Elmira, Ny area.
NS local train names:

NS H2E-----M-F at 5:59am...Elmira

NS H2G-----M-F at 5:00pm...Elmira. The night version of H2E and works the
Chemung steel plant Waverly and O&H at OG

NS H05-----W-Su at 4:30pm...Gang Mills yard job.

NS H06-----Su-Th at 3:00pm...Gang Mills to Geneva. This is Dave Baconís
job and yes it is now an overnight run (for now.)

NS H10-----M-Sa at 7:30pm...Elmira uses H88 power to shuttle Elmira's to
Gang Mills for 309.

NS H11-----M-F at 10:00pm...Elmira I like Mahoopany and Towanda.

NS H12-----M-F at 11:00am...Elmira Sayre Turn to GE Railcar and MT Salt etc.

NS H13-----M-F at 11:59am...Sayre crew may taxi to Ithaca for the Salt train power in yard, if power in Sayre they begin in Sayre

NS H77-----M-F at 6:59am ...Gang Mills transfer job. This train seems to
have two functions: tankers to the B&H, and sand cars etc. to Hornell for
the WNY&P.

NS H85-----Su-Th at 6:00am ...Gang Mills yard job Will also serve the B&H (Bath & Hammondsport Railroad) occasionally.

NS H87-----M-Tu at 4:30pm; F-Su at 7:00am.... Gang Mills yard job
NS H88-----M-Sa at 7:30am ...Elmira to Binghamton turn

Last edited by NSfutureengineer24; 12-06-2008 at 02:25 AM. Reason: speeling mistake
NSfutureengineer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
RAILROADFANdotCOM

Send a message via AIM to RAILROADFANdotCOM

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since bullsheet.com no longer has their CSX train symbol listing, I chatted with the owner of the site, and am trying to compile a new list(lots still need to be added). Members of railroadfan.com are able to edit the information so hopefully the list will stay up to date better than other sources can, have a look:

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols

There's also a start to an NS train symbol list as well:
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/NS_Train_Symbols
________
YR-1

Last edited by RAILROADFANdotCOM; 01-25-2011 at 04:20 AM.
RAILROADFANdotCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
chuckman

This part of the system does not apply to any other letter designations of the CSX symboling system except for L, R, S or X.

A trains are locals down south, B trains are locals in NYS, PA and New England, and C and D are out in the Northwest part of the system.
L trains are Q trains running on a different day than they are normally scheduled for.
R trains are Q trains with a reroute
S trains are a Q train's second section
X trains are 3rd sections, extras, and anything else.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAILROADFANdotCOM View Post
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since bullsheet.com no longer has their CSX train symbol listing, I chatted with the owner of the site, and am trying to compile a new list(lots still need to be added). Members of railroadfan.com are able to edit the information so hopefully the list will stay up to date better than other sources can, have a look:

How would I go about contributing to the list? I'm from Western New Yrk and I can see a LOT of symbols I could add!

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
JRMDC

You didn't get the last list from Alan? Did someone keep it? I have a set but it is a number of years old, maybe 4, and it excludes coal
and local.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
ssw9662

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAILROADFANdotCOM View Post

Cool, thanks for taking the time to put that together! Do you plan on expanding the database to cover the entire CSX and NS systems, or will they remain devoted to the IN/MI/OH area?
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #16
BurghMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
That is not even close to all. On the former Conrail routing, train symbols do obtain a letter designation. Like, 10R, for example, is a mixed freight on NS. The 'R' signifies that this train was symbolized based off of old Conrail software, or it is routed solely on former CR trackage. The letter is absolutely insignificant, and does not boost or decrease priority any.

NS also adds letters to the symbol when a second section is present, or on a local train. On local trains, the letter is designated after a certain division on the railroad. For example, NS train "C01" is in the "Lake Erie Division", and any local that has the "C" in the symbol, runs in "Lake Erie division" territory.

A little correction. The extra letter on the end of the symbol came about following the Conrail transaction but it has nothing to do with a train being routed over former Conrail territory. It was simply needed because more room was needed, primarily in the 100 and 200 series of trains. There are plenty of trains with letters that go nowhere near former Conrail territory. (Ex: 22A, 22N, 21R, 72Z)

C does not mean "Lake Division". Locals with a C prefix are from the Pittsburgh Division.

A = Alabama
B = Dearborn
C = Pittsburgh
D = Illinois
G = Georgia
H = Harrisburg
L = Lake
P = Piedmont
T = Central
U = Pocahontas
V = Virginia
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #17
JRMDC

GREAT NEWS - the bullsheet CSX material survives! (Info learned from John Fuller posting on the VRFD Yahoo group.)

http://www.georgiarailfan.net/csxtrains/freights.html

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post
A little correction. The extra letter on the end of the symbol came about following the Conrail transaction but it has nothing to do with a train being routed over former Conrail territory. It was simply needed because more room was needed, primarily in the 100 and 200 series of trains. There are plenty of trains with letters that go nowhere near former Conrail territory. (Ex: 22A, 22N, 21R, 72Z)

C does not mean "Lake Division". Locals with a C prefix are from the Pittsburgh Division.

A = Alabama
B = Dearborn
C = Pittsburgh
D = Illinois
G = Georgia
H = Harrisburg
L = Lake
P = Piedmont
T = Central
U = Pocahontas
V = Virginia
I'm glad that you picked up on that. Also, atleast on the Harrisburg Division, if a "K" is before the "H" on a train symbol, it denotes a foreign carrier. Example, KH-50. Idk if this helps anyone but, just letting ya'll know.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #19
ns3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghMan View Post

A = Alabama
B = Dearborn
C = Pittsburgh
D = Illinois
G = Georgia
H = Harrisburg
L = Lake
P = Piedmont
T = Central
U = Pocahontas
V = Virginia
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. So H02 (Dover, NJ) means that it's a local on the Harrisburg Division. Cool.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
RAILROADFANdotCOM

Send a message via AIM to RAILROADFANdotCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
How would I go about contributing to the list? I'm from Western New Yrk and I can see a LOT of symbols I could add!
You can sign up for railroadfan.com at this link: http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.ph...rnto=Main_Page

The wiki is editable by anyone who is a member of the wiki group after joining, and I can grant you access, follow this link after joining the message board: http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/ucp.php?i=167

We do plan on expanding to cover all CSX symbols, just is taking time to input all the symbols. Since CSX does change what a symbol does every few years, it's critical that we get a good base to help keep this up to date. I'm glad to see someone got a copy of Allen's work, but manually emailing in each update I'm sure will be hard to have the owner keep up with.
I'm making the wiki searchable, so you can just type in a city name that's on the timetable, and it'll list all the trains that pass through there, instead of only being able to see the "Q" trains for that station.
________
starcraft II replays

Last edited by RAILROADFANdotCOM; 01-25-2011 at 04:20 AM.
RAILROADFANdotCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
LSRC Railfan

Quote:
You can sign up for railroadfan.com at this link: http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.ph...rnto=Main_Page

The wiki is editable by anyone who is a member of the wiki group after joining, and I can grant you access, follow this link after joining the message board: http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/ucp.php?i=167
...or you could join up just because the website rocks. Great railfans. Great train. Great fun.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote