Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
CNWFreak

Default Composition with Roster Shots

I know the subject should almost never be centered, but I thought it was different for roster shots. This shot was rejected for bad composistion, which I would like to improve to improve in my future shooting. Thanks in advance.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=457256&key=0

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
captadam

I had a similar comment about this one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1127865126

While the tag is poor image quality, I extracted more information on appeal, including a complaint that the composition was "very poor." "Dead space" was a factor (although I personally like the sky.) That might have been a factor in yours too--lots of sky and foreground.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Too much snow, is my guess.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
Flowing

Even for roster shots, I usually try to not put the horizon through the middle of the shot; I have just a little more sky or a little more ground, depending on which is photographically more interesting. You applied that concept in your shot, but as has been mentioned, there is just too much ground. Additionally, the sky and snow are washed out and sort of seem to blend together. Try again on a sunny day if you can.

Last edited by Flowing; 12-12-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam
I had a similar comment about this one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1127865126

While the tag is poor image quality, I extracted more information on appeal, including a complaint that the composition was "very poor." "Dead space" was a factor (although I personally like the sky.) That might have been a factor in yours too--lots of sky and foreground.
This one is almost an interesting shot, but the track in the foreground absolutely kills any shot it has of being RP-worthy. I could go either way on the sky. I take it this is a plant switcher and probably is at the same spot a lot. If there is any way to safely gain elevation without trespassing, please consider it. As it is now, a perfect, pristine blue sky on this p[icture would not get the shot in.

Joe
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNWFreak
I know the subject should almost never be centered, but I thought it was different for roster shots. This shot was rejected for bad composistion, which I would like to improve to improve in my future shooting. Thanks in advance.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=457256&key=0
The loco is in the dead center of the shot both top to bottom and side to side, more or less. But there is no contrast in the shot. It's not really black and white, but grey and grey. The sky barely stands out from the snow and visa versa. So the b&w does not work here.l

Also, did you shoot scenes of the whole train? It's a snow scene, get the rest of the trin or engines sitting there and show us the scene. You can shot rosters on pristine, blue sky days.

Joe
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
CNWFreak

Thanks for all the help. Joe, all that train is that and an old SD40 rebuild. It's been there for a few days, and could be back at the leasor any time. Also, judging by the weather around here right now, I'm not gonna have any sun til spring. Here's the unedited version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC101106.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	2376  

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote