Old 12-10-2002, 01:04 AM   #1
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy
Default Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Welcome to the new RailPictures.Net discussion forums!

Please take this opportunity to make your first post, and tell us a little bit about yourself!

I'll start. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My name is Chris Kilroy, I'm 22 years old and a resident of Louisville, Kentucky, USA. I'm a licensed private pilot with approximately 150 hours total, and in addition, I operate three websites (this one, JetPhotos.Net, and AirDisaster.Com).

I'm a rail and aviation photographer, using a Canon D60 with a Canon 100-400mm IS USM telephoto lense.
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
jcmark611

Hi everybody!

My name is Joel, I am 24 year old, and I live in Harrodsburg, KY (mp 346w on the Louisville District of NS's Central Division). I have been a railfan for as long as I can remember and have spent most of my gerfing days on the 2nd District of the CNO&TP. I did get to spend a short time as a "gofer" on L&N 152 at Kentucky Railway Museum. I have also worked for both NS and CSX as a conductor and engineer out of Louisville and Cincinnati, spending most of my time on the "Short Line".

[img]spammers1.gif[/img]

[ December 15, 2002 03:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by J.C. Marksbury ]
jcmark611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

Howdy all,

My name is Emmett Bell, 30 years old and I reside in Salvisa, Kentucky (Mercer County). I am a Engineer/Conductor for the Lexington & Ohio Railroad, and have worked in the rail industry for almost 12 years now.

Besides railroads and Photography, my other hobbies include Amatuer Radio (KD4JSL), and computers, and maintain a rail photography website (KD4JSL.com) I am married to Wife Kathleen (also a railfan/photographer) and we have a 2 year old daughter, Rachel.
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:07 AM   #4
railohio

Send a message via ICQ to railohio

Okay, here goes...

My name is Brian Schmidt and I'm 19 years old and hail from Napoleon, Ohio. I recently graduated high school and now attend classes at Northwest State in Archbold for a future career in photography.

I am also interested in amateur radio, having recently acquired my technician-class license; my call sign in KC8UYI. In addition to railroad photography, I'm also interested in model railroading, and I have a small N scale layout that sees sporadic work.

Iím looking forward to sharing my photography here in the coming months. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
railohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:12 AM   #5
JJMDiMunno

Alrighty folks, my name's Mike DiMunno and I'm 19 years old. A resident of Bellmawr, NJ, I enjoy spending time doing research on all the historical stuff around the South Jersey area that I wasn't around to see. As an NRHS member, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in Southern New Jersey railroad history, and am happy to answer any questions asked of me.

I presently run a website, at http://www.SJRail.com, dedicated to South Jersey railroading and the Strasburg railroad of Lancaster County, PA.

As for cameras, I shoot with a Canon EOS Rebel G (for prints, for the website), and a Canon EOS Rebel X (for slides for publication and/or archival). Lenses are a 35-80MM, as well as a 75-300MM telephoto. And no, I haven't yet given way to the digital camera revolution.

Glad to be here and a member of railpictures.net!
JJMDiMunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:48 AM   #6
Chessie SD50 8563

Send a message via ICQ to Chessie SD50 8563

Hello, my name is Matt Mitchin, I am 19 and a resident of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (MP125 of the CSX New Castle Sub) I am a Locomotive freak, out of all areas of the hobby I enjoy learning the technical aspects of locomotives. (Im the same way with AirCraft) I am a member of the Cuyahoga Valley Terminal model railroad club here in Cuyahoga Falls. I help run&moderate a great lakes region forum called www.greatlakesrail.com One of my other hobbies is screwing with computers. I am currently runing a home built Athlon-Tbird 1.2Ghz machine that only utilizes 2 fans for its entire cooling needs, yet maintains 105F for Proc and 77F for mainboard at full load. I have repainted MSTS models in the past and I am currently working on a M420/M420B and a B&O I-5a Caboose for MSTS right now.
Chessie SD50 8563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #7
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Matt,

Feel free to post some screenshots of your MSTS projects to our Train Simulator forum!

Chris
Chris Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 02:26 PM   #8
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Alrighty, my turn now!

My name is Chris Starnes and I reside in Gate City, VA (in the western tip of Virginia). I will be 21 (whooohooo!) in August of 03. I am employed by the LENWOSICO Planning District in Duffield, VA as a Regional Planning Intern and I also attend Mountain Emprire Community College (sophmore) three days a week.

I run and maintain my own personal website for both my railroad photography and my parents' wedding photography business, it can be seen at StarnesPhoto.com

I am really excited about this website. I have had thoughts of taking a project on of this nature for sometime. Luckily, Chris and I composed our thoughts and came up with this result. You guys feel free to post and upload photos! And most of all, if you have suggestions or comments we would love to hear them. Contributors like you make databases like this survive!

Chris
Old 12-17-2002, 04:12 PM   #9
hv171

Hey all,

I'm Chris Burchett, will be 18 in February '03, and reside in Logan, Ohio (I&OC MP49.6). Currently finishing up my senior year of high school, and I am a student engineer and webmaster at the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway in Nelsonville (www.hvsr.com). I maintain a few other websites, all of which are listed at www.chescweb.com. I have done and am doing quite a bit of research on the original Hocking Valley Railway, which at one time was the largest independent railroad in Ohio. I also am the president of the Teen Association of Model Railroaders, a nationwide organization of teens dedicated to model railroading and railroading in general (www.tamr.org).

Railroads nearby here include the NS Pocahontas Division's West Virginia Secondary, the NS Lake Division's Columbus District, the CSXT C&O Division's Northern Subdivision, the Indiana & Ohio Central's Logan Subdivision, and the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. The best reception on the scanner comes from the WV Secondary's Athens repeater, as well as the I&OC. Recently, I began a new Yahoo!Group devoted to the Secondary due to an interesting scuffle that occurred on the WVRailfans group. If anyone is interested, this new group can be accessed via http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wvsecondary.

I'd better close here before I get too longwinded than I already am. Looking forward to a bright future for RailPictures.net. Good luck to Chris and Chris with their new website.

Think Safety!

-Chris Burchett
hv171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 04:53 PM   #10
Jose nevarez

Send a message via ICQ to Jose nevarez

Hey guy's, how are you making out?

My Name is Jose Nevarez I live in Manchester, NH, I'm 37 years old and I'm currently employed by Guilford Rail Systems as a Chief Train Dispatcher for 6 years now. I enjoy preaty much all aspects of railroading but mostly the historical part of it. I'am a speed freak, so I enjoy watching fast moving freight like on the Chicago Line. It was nice when Conrail use to run the vantrains at 70MPH. Don't get me wrong I defenetly do enjoy watching mountain railroading. My favorite place was down in the Appalachia, VA and the Kingsport, TN area on the Clinchfield RR, Southern RR and L&N RR areas. My other interest behind railfaning is Military air power and auto racing, not NASCAR but American Le Mans Series. This is one of the reasons why I'm a speed freak. After getting some experience on the track, me and my buddy strap on the 4 point seat belts and hit the back mountain roads train chasing. The camera I shoot with is a Canon EOS Rebel G with a 28mm to 70mm 2.8f and a 135mm to 400mm lens which never comes off the camera I just purchased a new slide scanner from Minolta and I'll be looking load some images as soon as I settle down with the scanner. This web site does have some grate photographer in it and some great photo too.

Safety First & Speed safely
Jose Nevarez

[ December 17, 2002 12:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Chief ]
Jose nevarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:50 PM   #11
railfan1

hey all im mike the lifesaving railfan been a railfan 18 years and i have seen my fair share of stuff go down currently sitting on 2 NS lines one being the former conrail and all i see are black and horses maybe a little forein power thats all but not much if i do get forein power then it is a welcome sight and a change to the black and horses also get 3 amtrak trains the capital the pennyslvanian and the lake shore i also have fanned csx as well besides ns i also know just about every type of loco thats running out there today any questions e-mail me at csx5000@hotmail.com
railfan1 out [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
railfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:12 AM   #12
RobR

Greetings!

I am Rob Richardson. I live in Bedford, Ohio, a suburb on the southeast side of Cleveland. Milepost 110 on the NS Cleveland Line is a frequent destination for dog walks. I own http://clevelandrails.railfan.net and the ClevelandRails discussion group on Yahoo. I am a volunteer brakeman for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. Most of my railroad photography is done with a Canon AE-1 and a Canon 70-210-mm zoom lens. I am also interested in non-railroad photography, for which I mostly use a Toyo View 4x5 camera and black and white film.

RobR

P.S. I have a 4x5 enlarger for sale!
RobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:50 AM   #13
pullin4u

Name is George Widener, age 32 (am I that old already? jeesh). Locomotive engineer for the CN (Wisconsin Central Division). Have been here since 1/94, prior to that with the BRC and before that the C&NW.

Chris, seeing as how you are an aviation buff, I'm sure you can appreciate this:

Taken from my front yard during this year's EAA fly-in.

Regards,

-George Widener
pullin4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:20 AM   #14
Terry Schneider

Hi from Toronto, Canada.

Happy to join this group. I'm 46 and have had some interest in trains and other transport methods for most of my life. It all started when I rode up and down our subway lines over and over at about the age of 10. I'm no expert, just a regular guy with a much greater than average interest. Looking forward to some train banter with you all.

..Terry
Terry Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:33 AM   #15
Amtrack36

My name is Alex Trude. I live in Carbondale, Illinois, 2 hours from St. Louis and 6 hours from Chicago. We have an Amtrakc station in Carbondale, and we have two schedules that leaves, 4:00 PM to Chicago, and A train from SEattle to LOuisana, which stops in Chicago and Carbondale and many other cities which is the superliner stops in Carbondale at 9:30 pm. So we also have TONS AND TONS of frieghters go by about 10-12 per day. I guess thats it, so long!!!
Amtrack36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #16
ddavies

Dave Davies, retired FBI Laboratory photographic expert witness (examination of photographs used in crimes, including testimony in photography, video and digital imaging) living in Fairfax, VA.

Past RF&P editor for CTC Board magazine. Member of Northern Virginia Model Railroaders (HO club) with a permanent layout in Vienna, VA, and board member and newsletter editor for Northern Virginia NTrak, the largest NTrak organization in the world.

I have be interested in trains since childhood, since my father was a LV station agent when I was born, but only started photographing trains about the time my son was born in 1980.

My website is at: http://members.cox.net/dbdavies
which has a current events page of my latest trips or unusual sightings, and changes sometimes daily.

Moderator of three yahoo groups, including Pope's Creek, and member of Northern Virginia Railfan Elert, which spreads notices of unusual motive power or special moves in Northern Virginia to members (which has resulted in me taking off to chase trains on a moments notice. javascript: x()
Wink
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:28 AM   #17
Bryan Jones

hello, I am Bryan Jones, a 24 year old employee of Ford Motor Company from Brooks,KY, a small town about 15 miles south of Louisville. Weekends ususally find me somewhere next to the tracks, most often in the Louisville,KY area. To date I have been primarily a roster photographer as I am a big locomotive fan, but have been working to add some more action to my collection. I Look forward to viewing the shots posted to the site as well as posting my own for others to enjoy as well as talking with other contributors.

Bryan Jones
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:32 AM   #18
Katamarino

I'm Kat, 18, love aviation (mainly civil), also interested in impressive railroads but know absolutely nothing about them! Cant beat some of the amazing shots on this site so far for sheer awe though! Also an avid sailor and compete in Formula 18 Catamaran racing as well as instructing for a little cash!
Katamarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 01:19 AM   #19
Coyote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Starnes:
...I also attend Mountain Emprire Community College (sophmore) three days a week.

Mr. Starnes, could you do me a favor, and yes, its a bit OT (Off Topic) [img]offtopic1.gif[/img]

I attended "MEC Tech" for 3 years taking Electronic Engineering.. would it be too much trouble to have you find out of Roy Powers and Roger Greene are still the Electronics Dept. Instructors?

Thanks!
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:50 AM   #20
Chris Starnes
Administrator

The Greene name sounds familiar, but I am very seldom in D-C Hall where they would be at...

Chris
Old 12-27-2002, 05:26 AM   #21
SJCAlien

Hi Kids- hopefully this will land in the introduction forum. I'll probably be 'Gramps" to most of you. I'm a longtime railfan...born, raised in Seattle,WA- lived above Boeing Field on the east side of the runways-and played as a kid on the railroad tracks east of the airport-so I had the best of both worlds. Planes and Trains. Got to watch the rail traffic below our house until we moved to California in 1964, and saw plenty of old-time trains-too poor for a camera. I've been photo/video-ing airliners for many years-and always a train or two whenever I had the time.
I've been video-taping trains since mid '80's -as I love the sounds and action of passing Amtraks, Caltrains and Freights through the San Jose-Gilroy area. I've been to 4 Rail Museums in the USA- Sacramento,CA-Carson City, NV-Colorado State Rail Museum in Boulder,CO and last summer, The National Rail Museum in Green Bay, WI - an excellent museum.

I don't have that many photos, but will add some when I can master the scan and photo editing equipment at a later date.

Alien
SJCAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:54 AM   #22
csxfandan

My name is Dan and I live in the railroad capitol of America, The Baltimore Md region. I fan at St Denis and at Riverdale Md ( you can also find me at the Cumberland Md hump.) I am fairly new (3 years) at this but am willing to not only learn but to teach as well. I am 45 years old and until I broke my 21 year old camera I enjoyed shooting picts, so I can now just shoot vid. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Remember real railfans don't wear "ties"
csxfandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:04 PM   #23
fquig

I am Frank Quigley and I live in Allison Park, PA near the CSX P&W sub.

Most of my train watching is done either on the way to work or at work.

My drive to work follows the NS Conemaugh division from Etna to Herr. I get to see frequent eastbounds and enjoy seeing the SD80 MACS at Etna waiting to go to work on the Shelocta coal train.

From the parking lot at work, I can see tons of trains moving across the Ohio River on the CSX P&LE line and the NS Mon Sub. A mile down the street is the NS Pittsburgh line and the Ohio River Connecting Bridge. Lots of action there also.

I am photographically challenged, but one of these days I hope to borrow my wife's Pentax and get some pictures.

I like the format of this site and look forward to using it.
fquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:48 AM   #24
NikonF5

Okay...this is my 2nd post, but here goes...

My name is Mark and I live in Austin, Texas....

My main photo interestes are birds and wildlife, but a fellow Nikon photographer (named Brian Schmidt) I met on Nikonians (www.nikonians.org) has started to get me interested in rail photography....

So, as soon as I figure out some places around town to shoot some trains, I will get the images scanned and posted.

Looking forward to having some fun here...

Cheers!!

by the way, are there any other Texas rail photopgraphers here????
NikonF5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #25
benrussellpa

Next....

Hi all.

Ben Russell, age 26. I'm a biologist for the Pennsylvania Dept. of Environmental Protection.

My first train memories come from when I lived in South Philly. I had a very distant view of the Conrail (ex Pennsy) Delaware extension. It always used to have coal/ore trains parked on it awaiting entry into Greenwich Yard. Later, the family moved to "suburbia" and I really got into trains growing up next to MP 8.0 on the CSX (Chessie/B&O) Philadelphia Sub. Now, I live, essentially, across the Schuylkill River from NS's (ex-Conrail) Abrams Yard on the Harrisburg Line. It's a 7 minuted drive for me to stop and see what's going on at the yard.

I've never been a master photographer, I just like to take pictures of trains. Unfortunately, I am camera-less ever since my 35mm point and shoot Fuji broke. It wasn't spectacular as far as cameras go, but I got some good prints and slides over the years with it. I've been hesitant to dive into the digital revolution so far. I've had my eye on the Fuji S602 Zoom, but I think I will wait for the next generation based off that model.

The digitals I have up here now have been taken with a borrowed (from work) Olympus C-2000Z.

Lately, I've been devoting a large chunk of time formerly used for train watching to volunteer firefighting. You get to learn a lot of good stuff and the feelings of being able to do something to help others cannot be beat.
benrussellpa is offline   Reply With Quote