Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
willig

Well, the two A4s have now arrived in UK.
They were lined up for a one-off photo shoot with home resident 60009 at Shildon. This is the only chance to line up three green A4s. 60010 will be painted LNER blue in two weeks, as part of its loan deal.

An amazing night for an old Brit like me.

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 412617
Photograph © Graham Williams

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 412618

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 412619
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
JRMDC

Looks like you had a great time, Graham! And the 60010 will certainly look great in the new paint, it needs it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
Dennis A. Livesey

I have seen exactly one A4, the Mallard. You are most fortunate to see this wondrous sight!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
willig

Well, the big event is almost upon us.
http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/mallard75.aspx

Is anyone going? Line up will be repeated in October and Feb. If you can get there, it will be amazing.

Dominion of Canada has now been repainted and the valances refitted, here she is before and after.
http://locoyard.com/2013/05/17/a4-do...rtesy-of-ukhh/

I'll be going, but I'm sure there'll be lots of submissions of the great event.

Incidentally, one of the A4s, Bittern, has just done a test run at 91 mph ready for a 90mph railtour. Now that will be a sight!

Last edited by willig; 06-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
willig

75 years ago today, on 3 July 1938, a London and North Eastern Railway A4 locomotive, no. 4468 Mallard achieved a never to beaten world speed record for steam traction of 126mph.
The record was achieved on the slight downward grade of Stoke Bank south of Grantham on the East Coast Main Line, and the highest speed was recorded at milepost 90, between Little Bytham and Essendine. It broke the German (DRG Class 05) 002's 1936 record of 124.5 mph (200.4 km/h).

Mallard was five months old, meaning that it was sufficiently broken-in to run freely, but not overly worn. Crewing the locomotive on its record attempt were driver Joseph Duddington (a man renowned within the LNER for taking calculated risks) and fireman Thomas Bray. Stoke Bank has a gradient of between 1:178 and 1:200. Mallard, pulling a dynamometer car and six coaches, topped Stoke Summit at 75 mph and accelerated downhill. The speeds at the end of each mile from the summit were recorded as: 87, 96, 104, 107, 111, 116 and 119 mph; half-mile readings after that gave 120, 122, 123, 124 and finally 125 mph. The speed recorded by instruments in the dynamometer car reached a momentary maximum of 126 mph.
The locomotive had previously had problems with the big end bearing for the middle cylinder, so the big end was fitted with a "stink bomb" of aniseed oil which would be released if the bearing overheated. Shortly after attaining the record speed, the middle big end did overheat and Mallard had to limp onwards to Peterborough.

After the run, driver Joe Duddington and Inspector Sid Jenkins were quoted as saying that they thought a speed of 130 mph would have been possible if the train had not had to slow for the junctions at Essendine. In addition at the time, there was a permanent way restriction to 15 mph just north of Grantham which slowed the train as they sought to build up maximum speed before reaching the high speed downhill section just beyond Stoke tunnel.[4]

Today, Mallard celebrates the anniversary with all five of her surviving Class A4 sister locomotives gathered around the turntable in the Great Hall of the National Railway Museum at York. They will be there for a two-week 'great gathering'. The visitors include three UK based, privately owned engines:4464 Bittern, 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley and 60009 Union of South Africa. and on-loan USA-based 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower and 60010 Dominion of Canada from Montreal after receiving cosmetic restoration at the NRM workshops.

Here is a photo posted on Flickr of today's event:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allan58...lrailwaymuseum

I shall be there next week, so I hope it won't be as crowded. But for such a momentous occasion, I fear that it will be. This is truly a once in a lifetime chance.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
Dennis A. Livesey

It is truly wonderful that six of these magnificent locomotives survived. "The Great Gathering" is a outstanding tribute to Gresley and all the men and women of Britain's railways.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
willig

Well, I got there. So did many thousand others. They have been closing the entrance doors in the middle of the day to stop overcrowding. I had to be very patient to get any photos. Avoiding people was impossible.

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 443236

Here's my fisheye shot http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/graham_...ms/9269155445/

Last edited by willig; 07-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
willig

Well, the last chance for people to see the four A4s together is the week after next at the National Railway Museum annex at Shildon in the North East of England.

The bonus this time is that the locos will be side by side on parallel tracks. At York they were parked round a turntable and the location was not well suited to photography. Apart from the expected crowds, the photo opportunities will be much better. Expect some great photos being posted. Unfortunately, not from me!

After waiting for the event for about two years, I now have to go on a business trip to the Philippines for the entire time they are at Shildon!!

Bummer!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
CSX1702

Forgive my American ignorance, but what is the significance of these locomotives? Are they the last of steam locomotives in G.B. or something similar?

I might be an idiot for not knowing, but I just haven't really heard of them before.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #36
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Forgive my American ignorance, but what is the significance of these locomotives? Are they the last of steam locomotives in G.B. or something similar?

I might be an idiot for not knowing, but I just haven't really heard of them before.
Parochialism afflicts many but it is easy to be cured of it. Foreign railroading is easy to dismiss until you experience it. Then you get just as excited as the locals because in the end, it's still railroading.

The A-4's, with a style of streamlining that is an acquired taste for non-Britons, are the ultimate steam locomotive built in the land that invented the steam railway.

Think of it as a NYC Hudson, a N&W J, a MILW F Hudson, a PRR T-1 (take your pick) as the ultimate streamlined steam passenger locomotive would be here.

The hoopla currently surrounding the A-4's is due the 75th anniversary of Mallard's achievement of 126MPH down Stoke Bank. That run officially gave it the title of the swiftest steam locomotive in the world.

Some people (Americans like me) wistfully think of how back in the 30's and 40's the MILW Hudson's and the PRR T-1's purportedly achieved speed in the high 120's and 130's. We of course will never know for sure now.

To celebrate the 75th, the audacious plan was hatched to bring ALL of the survivors back together for a big party including even the ones in North America.

You have to hand it to the Brits.

(I took the not very good pic of Mallard in York 2006.)

Name:  York Natioanl Rwy Museum 241.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  389.8 KB

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #37
Mberry

Looking forward to the Dominion Of Canada returning to Exporail in St-Constant, Quebec later this year..... I took some photos of it when it was being switched around at Exporail in 2012 in preparation for its temporary repatriation to the U.K.

"Dominion Of Canada" @ Exporail by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr

"Dominion Of Canada" @ Exporail by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr

Last edited by Mberry; 02-06-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #38
troy12n
Banned

Just another retarded looking english locomotive
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #39
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Parochialism afflicts many but it is easy to be cured of it.
I didn't detect even a note of parochialism in Derek's post, just a respectful inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Aha, there it is! Thanks, Troy! Parochial America needed to be represented here!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #40
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ah man, why'd go and have to say somefin like that.

Tehy look pretty spiffy.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #41
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
See?

I knew Troy would uphold my faith in parochial America!

Well done!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #42
troy12n
Banned

Bah... you can keep those limey locomotives over there. If you want to see a show, wait a couple years till N&W 611 and that UP engine we keep seeing pictures of all the time running through parking lots get fixed up and start running around. That will be a real show.

America, fuck yeah!

This one fits too

Last edited by troy12n; 02-06-2014 at 01:44 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #43
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

That poster was "clearly" spell checked by Jim.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #44
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I didn't detect even a note of parochialism in Derek's post, just a respectful inquiry.
Correct, J.

And thanks for the info, Dennis.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #45
wds

Quote:
See?

I knew Troy would uphold my faith in parochial America!

Well done!
And I'll chip in for parochial Canada. Damn firkin ugly locomotive (but I'd still drive 'er if given the chance )!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
JimThias

Quote:
Parochialism afflicts many but it is easy to be cured of it. Foreign railroading is easy to dismiss until you experience it. Then you get just as excited as the locals because in the end, it's still railroading.
I disagree. If the equipment rolling down the rails is uninteresting, it's easy for me to dismiss it regardless if it's foreign or domestic.

For example, I couldn't get any more excited about this:

Image © Wayland Smith
PhotoID: 468175
Photograph © Wayland Smith

...than I get about this:

Image © Joe Bracey
PhotoID: 460104
Photograph © Joe Bracey

However, I WOULD get excited about this, because this is awesome:

Image © Wayland Smith
PhotoID: 467931
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #47
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

Aha, there it is! Thanks, Troy! Parochial America needed to be represented here!
I meant using parochial in a general sense and no targeting of Derek was intended. My apologizes if seemed to be my intent.

I have seen railfan xenophobia for over 50 years and personally I rather it just go away.

But this is a hobby so everyone enjoy it any way they want.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #48
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I disagree. If the equipment rolling down the rails is uninteresting, it's easy for me to dismiss it regardless if it's foreign or domestic.

For example, I couldn't get any more excited about this:

Image © Wayland Smith
PhotoID: 468175

...than I get about this:

Image © Joe Bracey
PhotoID: 460104
Photograph © Joe Bracey

However, I WOULD get excited about this, because this is awesome:

Image © Wayland Smith
PhotoID: 467931
Jim, while you found a point so you could disagree, you support my overall statement that if you let yourself experience foreign railroading, you can find stuff to appreciate as well.

I do envy globe trotters like Jean-Marc Freyburg and Daniel Simon. From mainlines to short lines, there is a whole world of railroading to experience.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #49
JimThias

Quote:
Jim, while you found a point so you could disagree, you support my overall statement that if you let yourself experience foreign railroading, you can find stuff to appreciate as well.
I guess what I was getting at is just because I'm in a foreign country, I'm not going to like all the trains I see, and that holds true here in the U.S. as well. For instance, I have zero interest in narrow gauge. In fact, I'd probably look the other way if I saw it coming, even if it is considered "railroading."
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #50
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
For instance, I have zero interest in narrow gauge.
Okay, I've gotta stop you there. You've never been to the East Broad Top have you? I have and it is one of the most nostalgic feeling train rides you'll ever go on. (Not that all train rides aren't nostalgic.)

And I would love to go to the Durango and Silverton but I have neither time nor money to travel across cross-country.

Image © CNDash2
PhotoID: 247039
Photograph © CNDash2

Flickr

Out Of Place Album