Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
willig

Default The next Mega Line-Up

Now that the NS Heritage Units Line Up at Spencer is over, I'd like to point you in the direction of the next amazing Line Up.

In August, the two A4s that have been in North American museums for about 45 years will be making a temporary return to Britain.

60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 309053
Photograph © Jeff Terry

and 60010 Dominion of Canada http://www.flickr.com/photos/27045884@N05/6089625649/
have resided at Green Bay WI and Montreal respectively. In August they will both set off by rail to Halifax NS for shipment to Liverpool.

Both locos will be cosmetically restored in Britain.

Next year, they will be lined up for a period with the four existing A4s resident in Britain.

This sight will be repeated plus 50%! All six A4s lined up together.
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 241639
Photograph © Graham Williams

Fortunately, the event will take place over a longer period than that one in 2008, so we will have some chance of better weather.

The A4s from "across the pond" will return in 2014.

I'm looking forward to some shots posted on RP of their journey across Canada by CN.

Will anyone out there make the effort and come to UK to see this amazing Line-Up? Start saving the pennies now. There's lots to see here.

Last edited by willig; 07-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
magicman_841

Halifax, huh? Looks like they'll be rolling through here!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Halifax, huh? Looks like they'll be rolling through here!
Find out when and get out there with your camera.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
magicman_841

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
Find out when and get out there with your camera.
Will do my best, sir!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Will do my best, sir!
Ta. You're a gent.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

That is a amazing news!

Who's is footing the bill? What is the bill? That is a lot of money for a photo op.

Having seen Mallard in 2006 and wanting to see the 2008 line up in York, I certainly wish I could be there for the party.

As usual, my hat is doffed to the movers and shakers of the British preservation community and their incredible ability of being able to pull off most anything.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
willig

According to Steve Davies, Director of the National Railway Museum:

The National Railway Museum wanted something spectacular to celebrate the 75th anniversary of A4 no. 4468 Mallard achieving the world speed record for steam traction in 1938. They wanted to devise a celebratory programme that would be unique and generate large national and international audiences
So they came up with the idea of gathering together all six survivors of the A4 class.
The owners of the existing A4s in Britain were enthusiastic about the idea and promised to make them available for the events.

The NRM then approached the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI, home of No. 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Exporail in Montreal, home of No. 60010 Dominion of Canada, making it clear from the start that the trip would be with a two-way ticket.

Both museums agreed to the visit, but moving the locomotives is no simple matter. Although both museums are rail-served by CN, both are a long way from Halifax, NS, which is the necessary port for the transatlantic crossing.
Dominion of Canada should be relatively easy to extract from its display shed, but Dwight D. Eisenhower is a different matter. It is located in its building with walls to the front of the smoke box and to the rear of its two accompanying coaches.
So it will be moved by jacking it up and 'skating' it sideways, passing the front of UP 'Big Boy' No. 4017 onto a parallel track that has outside access. I hope someone out there can be there and photograph this happening, what a shot that would make for RP!.

The NRM has gained some sponsorship as, without it, the project would be prohibitively expensive.
Free shipping will be provided by Atlantic Container Line, between Halifax and Liverpool. The ports of Halifax and Liverpool will also provide free handling.

In Montreal, Dominion of Canada will have to be moved only a very short distance for loading, but Dwight D. Eisenhower will need to be propelled about half a mile to the nearest possible loading point.
CN and their operational associates are very enthusiastic about the idea and everyone there, from the CEO downwards, recognises the symbolic and historic nature of this project, especially as the names of the locomotives and what they represent have deep significance in their respective adopted countries.

A special flat car will be used to carry each loco to Halifax in turn. A condition of the shipping sponsorship is that the locos need to meet a sailing in late August, so this month Dwight D. Eisenhower is scheduled to be extracted from its cocoon and taken to Halifax,. Then the flat car will go to Montreal to collect Dominion of Canada. The locos will meet up at the docks and set sail in late August and should arrive at Liverpool in early September.

Dominion of Canada will be converted to its 1937 condition. Wheel valances will be re-fitted and a single chimney. It will be repainted in LNER Garter Blue and have a Canadian bell and chime whistle fitted as it had in those days.
Dwight D. Eisenhower will be cosmetically restored in its existing 1960s British Railways green livery. They will then both join Mallard in the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum at York early in 2013 and wait for their sisters to join them to achieve the classic six-loco line-up.

The current plan is for all six A4s to be together for one month at the NRM, followed a little later by a further week, also at York. The final event would be all six engines at the NRM's Locomotion Museum at Shildon early in 2014. The two visiting A4s will then return to Montreal and Green Bay..

This is one of the most significant UK Railway Preservation events ever. It would be great if visitors came from North America to see this amazing line up. Obviously, for any serious railfans, there would be an awful lot more that could be included in such a visit. - Regular main Line Railtours; Dozens of Heritage Railways; 125mph tilting trains; North American built freight locomotives; The famous Settle to Carlisle Railway; The West Highland Line etc. etc.

Why not think about it?

Last edited by willig; 07-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
Why not think about it?
The UK is the Disneyland of steam. Many beautiful machines, in seasonal weekly MAINLINE 75 MPH excursions, in fairyland settings, (REAL castles) dozens of outstanding heritage railways, make it any steam lovers must see place.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
KevinM

Look at the lengths to which the Brits will go, just for a historic photo op. I'm glad that there are societies that value where we've been as much as where we are going.

Over here, hikers on Mt. Washington and businesses in Durango just bitch about the coal smoke.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

There will be a ton ton TON of foam there, but it sounds like it's right on schedule for my next 'should-visit-my-amazingly-old-great-grand-aunt-before-she-dies' trip. I think she might be immortal, giving me no shortage of excuses to go to England. Plus, we haven't been to Scotland for a few years. Excuse? I think so!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
There will be a ton ton TON of foam there, but it sounds like it's right on schedule for my next 'should-visit-my-amazingly-old-great-grand-aunt-before-she-dies' trip. I think she might be immortal, giving me no shortage of excuses to go to England. Plus, we haven't been to Scotland for a few years. Excuse? I think so!
That would be great. We can go together. I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
willig

I have now heard that 60008 Dwight D. Eisenhower is being taken off display and being prepared to leave the NRRM at Green Bay from July 18th.

I do not have the exact date of the "sideways" move out of the shed but there is a farewell press reception today (17th) at 5pm at the the museum.

There has also been some movement in the last few hours at Exporail, Montreal with 60010 Dominion of Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Looks like those rail movements to Halifax are imminent. Must be some great photo opportunities before they set sail for Liverpool.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
willig

Found some great You Tube footage of the A4s being loaded at Halifax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUp5pzD7VlM

Last edited by willig; 10-01-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
JRMDC

Graham, inside the tenders, there is main compartment and then a second compartment that has a large cylindrical object. What is that, please? Look in the first few seconds of the video.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
willig

Janusz.
The large cylindrical object is actually only on the tender from Dominiion of Canada. This is a corridor tender, to allow access to the footplate from the passenger carriages being pulled to facilitate crew changes without stopping.

Although the corridor access is central at the rear of the tender, there is an immediate right turn and the corridor runs along the right side of the tender. The "cylindrical object" is actually the top of the corridor.

This web page gives quite a good ex[planation and illustration.
http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...1-body-d8.html
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
JRMDC

Graham, I see the same cylinder in both tenders. The cylinder I am talking about sits vertically, not horizontally, so it has a flat-ish round plate on top, larger in diameter so overhanging all around. The video zooms in on each one, tight on the first one at 0:57, loose on the second one at 1:20.

I have only looked into an empty tender on one occasion ...

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 264941
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Graham, inside the tenders, there is main compartment and then a second compartment that has a large cylindrical object. What is that, please? Look in the first few seconds of the video.
Hi J,

If you are talking about something that is visible in the "aft compartment" of the tender from the aerial views at the beginning of the video, I think you are looking at the water tank fill ports. If you look on the top of that "cylindrical object", the cover has hinges on one side.

That's my take anyway...

BTW, nice shot of the stoker auger in your photo. That's something that would seldom be visible in an operational locomotive.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
willig

[quote=KevinM;159998]Hi J,

If you are talking about something that is visible in the "aft compartment" of the tender from the aerial views at the beginning of the video, I think you are looking at the water tank fill ports. If you look on the top of that "cylindrical object", the cover has hinges on one side.
QUOTE]

Spot on, sir!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
JRMDC

Thanks! It occurs to me that while I have seen a bunch of shots from ground level of tenders being filled, and shot a few myself, I don't recall ever seeing one shooting down from above, so I have never known what the hardware looks like. Would a North American steam engine be similar equipped?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

North American steamers (Well, speaking from Canadian experience) generally have a deck behind the coal pile/oil tank with a hatch you open that doesn't protrude.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
Dennis A. Livesey

In the upper left of my shot here, you see CNR No. 3377's tender.

The single, long hatch is typical North American practice for medium tenders. Larger tenders have two.

On the two A's tender's notice the hump next to the coal bin. This is the top of the water way up from the water scoop that would pick up water on the fly.

I have always been very intrigued about the "secret passageway" in the British tenders. This video is the clearest illustration of this I have ever seen.

Overall, the whole enterprise of getting these locomotives together is very exciting.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 268148
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
In the upper left of my shot here, you see CNR No. 3377's tender.
Thanks, Dennis! Now, I'm not a steam expert like some of you on this forum, such as you, Dennis. But for some time now, probably since I was just a boy, quite a number of years that is, anyway, for some time I have called that gizmo in the "upper left" an engine, and that other gizmo, in the upper right, maybe not so far upper, a tender.

How'm I doin' with this old-fangled technology?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
In the upper left of my shot here,

Upper right of my shot.

Geez, wish I had copywriter eyes.

Thanks J.

I couldn't live without you.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
willig

The pair of A4s arrived in Liverpool in the early hours of this morning and have just been unloaded.

https://twitter.com/heritagepaintin/.../photo/1/large
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
JRMDC

bad link, Graham!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots