Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #26
ARandall70

Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
ACe's are way overrated. Southern will actually look alot better I think on a ES44 than on a ACe, has cleaner lines which works better for a unit based on a E8. The Conrail I wouldve liked on a SD70ACe though, would be close enough to a 80MAC for me.
I can agree with you assessment of the ACe's and M-2 model, way overrated, IMO, by the railfan community(solely based on appearances, no EMD v. GE arguments). I love EMD, but GE has had a much more esthetically pleasing product since the angular trend started at EMD with the late SD70M's.

Thanks for the link to the pictures of the S&A Baldwin, ill be interested to see that scheme. Its funny, apparently Southern liked to buy roads with AS416's so they could scrap'em. Through mergers/aquisitions, they got their hands on 80% of the total AS416's built. Thankfully at least NS 1616 was saved, and maybe some others I'm not aware of.

I also thought it was funny that the NYC and PC units will be SD70ACe's painted by EMD, so there is no chance Juniata will have to paint them.
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #27
troy12n
Banned

^ This is great. Two teenagers arguing about the merits of GE vs EMD
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
ARandall70

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
As best I can tell, we are agreeing with each other, at least Nikos and I, who I quoted. I know, that's unheard of in much of the railfan community.

Easy with the teenager business, I'm 20, still young, but I heard that long enough.

I'm just commenting on the aesthetics, I've never run a locomotive, and If I ever do that for a living, my opinions may be based on more than appearances. Not saying its happening here, but i do tire of hearing about 'dem ole' EMD's from 13 year old rail fans who only go off what some engineer said on some yahoo group just to fit in. I like both for various reasons and generally care more about freight cars and moving freight than locomotives(can anyone guess I'm a Business Major?).

Last edited by ARandall70; 02-17-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #29
crazytiger

Quote:
Did I miss something? I, for one, wasn't arguing with anybody.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Quote:
What's the difference between that and middle aged men moaning and groaning that NS is ignoring a certain part of their heritage by not painting a loco in their railroads scheme? There's a lot of "yeah, but..." going on over the NS heritage fleet. "Yeah, but they should paint a high hood Southern SD40-2 in tuxedo." Or "yeah, butwhy honor the Penn Central at all?"

Just strikes me as odd. NS could announce today they are bringing the 611 out of retirement and within an hour, someone somewhere would respond, "Yeah, but they're not doing anything with the 1218."
Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
ARandall70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What's the difference between that and middle aged men moaning and groaning that NS is ignoring a certain part of their heritage by not painting a loco in their railroads scheme? There's a lot of "yeah, but..." going on over the NS heritage fleet. "Yeah, but they should paint a high hood Southern SD40-2 in tuxedo." Or "yeah, butwhy honor the Penn Central at all?"

Just strikes me as odd. NS could announce today they are bringing the 611 out of retirement and within an hour, someone somewhere would respond, "Yeah, but they're not doing anything with the 1218."

I don't think that's odd, I think that's the point of us discussing it. I haven't seen one person anywhere say, "Screw NS, they forgot railroad X, this heritage thing is stupid," as if NS would even care. But its fair to ask why obscure, not even part of the NS system, railroad Y gets represented while larger, less obscure railroad Z does not.

I'll be first to admit I was disappointed when no old-NS unit was announced, but it seems it is at least in consideration, which is great. And it is fun to think about them bringing back a few heritage high hoods or older units, but once they start rolling, I'll be out trying to catch them all, and hopefully accumulate models of the ones I like the most, whether an old-NS unit is done or not.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
I haven't seen one person anywhere say, "Screw NS, they forgot railroad X, this heritage thing is stupid," as if NS would even care.
Never said anyone had said that, just that it seems silly to moan about something we had no control over when the heritage fleet is pretty cool beans anyway you look at it. I guess you can't please everyone.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
JRMDC

Quote:
Never said anyone had said that, just that it seems silly to moan about something we had no control over when the heritage fleet is pretty cool beans anyway you look at it. I guess you can't please everyone.
I fear, if too many people take Joe's post seriously, that these forums will die, as no one will have anything to say about RP screening.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
crazytiger

Quote:
NS could announce today they are bringing the 611 out of retirement and within an hour, someone somewhere would respond, "Yeah, but they're not doing anything with the 1218."
This is 100% true. If NS were to announce plans to pull 611 from retirement (which would kick some serious tail) to restore it, there would be a number of people complaining about how nothing was happening with 1218. I think that's sick. Honestly, if NS makes a decent effort at what they're doing, if they leave out a railroad here and there (Original NS and IT are the ones I'm hearing) that's unfortunate, but heck, THEY'RE MAKING 18 HERITAGE UNITS (pretty close to original schemes, too, I understand)!

Now, on the originality thing, I will say, I would be quite surprised (and pleased) if they don't put some NS anniversary or NS logo somewhere semi-prominent on the engines because that's kinda the whole point of the engines. So please don't complain people when that happens.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Now, on the originality thing, I will say, I would be quite surprised (and pleased) if they don't put some NS anniversary or NS logo somewhere semi-prominent on the engines because that's kinda the whole point of the engines. So please don't complain people when that happens.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sure an epic bitch-fest will start if/when they do that.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
nikos1

The first heritage unit

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #37
Joe the Photog

I'm on a phone. Is that legit, Niko?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
nikos1

Lol I wish, as entertaining as it is to watch everyone go nuts on NS Loco's I wouldnt want anyone driving to Chattanooga for my imaginary engine.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
stlgevo51

Glad the NS is getting involved in the heritage bug. As monotonous the class Is are getting with "regular" power (which is a good thing, in terms of a business standpoint), it seems like the heritage bug is biting a few of the railroads. I can't wait for this.

By the way, is UP planning a 150th anniversary unit?
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #40
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Lol I wish, as entertaining as it is to watch everyone go nuts on NS Loco's I wouldnt want anyone driving to Chattanooga for my imaginary engine.
That's pretty good, except the way the white dovetails down in the middle of the long hood and onto the radiator shroud looks a little out of place, I would have left it green all the way back, but good attempt.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #41
troy12n
Banned

CSX wont do it. Waycross painted their load test unit, an long retired U36B into Family Lines paint around 2001, and once Jacksonville got wind of it, it was painted YN3 and then scrapped not long after that. I think it only lasted a year or 2 in FL paint. They now use a B36-7 for that purpose, it's painted YN3.

CSX also cant make up their mind about numbering units. But they are not nearly as bad as NS in that regard.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
nikos1

Quote:
That's pretty good, except the way the white dovetails down in the middle of the long hood and onto the radiator shroud looks a little out of place, I would have left it green all the way back, but good attempt.
Not quite Troy, look at the original, keeping it original.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #43
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Not quite Troy, look at the original, keeping it original.
I just said that's how I would do it. Not that it matters.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #44
AntD.

Default My ONLY complaint

Yea Yea I'm happy and all, but COME ON! YOU HAVE TO ADMIT... A SD70ACe in the same Conrail 'Radical' Scheme as the 80MAcs and 70MAcs would look badass than an upgraded Dash 8 wide cab aka ES44AC...

BTW, can't wait to sit on 6th Street and shoot every single one street running! Hell maybe they'll run all 18 down for Master's ... Just kidding I know it can't and won't happen in time!

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #45
Joe the Photog

I can't wait to catch the Southern unit coming down Saluda! What? You guys didn't know they were reopening the grade? Yeah, someone saw an MoW train in Asheville or Spartanburg and put two and two together, got seven and went on YahooGroups to report it! Can't wait.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #46
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I can't wait to catch the Southern unit coming down Saluda! What? You guys didn't know they were reopening the grade? Yeah, someone saw an MoW train in Asheville or Spartanburg and put two and two together, got seven and went on YahooGroups to report it! Can't wait.
Yea, that finally played itself out. Was interesting to see the rumor mill at full production. I actually learned a thing or 2 in the process.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #47
WMHeilman

Three primer GEVO's, NS 8092, 8093 and 8094 were on NS 309 last night. These are most likely our first three heritage units. They'll go to Bellevue before being routed to Chattanooga, I assume.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #48
ARandall70

Its official now, from NS' web site:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nsco...ge_images.html

Everything I wanted to happen from the first "preliminary" list happened, and the NS unit is red with the tarwheel, this is great!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
JRMDC

Well, I will try not to be too bitter over the exclusion of the Penn Central, alas, one of the formative RRs of my youth. I most look forward to seeing the LV. CR will be great but I prefer CRQ. Of course, it will all be fantastic, regardless.

The main thing is that I will have to study up on the local NS lines, I tend to stick to CSX, and I need to get attached to some "heads up" lists.

I don't get out that much so in the end I may only end up seeing one of them, even after many years! I never saw the Maersk units, which I thought looked really nice.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
ShortlinesUSA

Oh, you won't have to look far to know where these things are at any given moment, at least for the first year or two. As a friend put it, "Todd is going to have to add another server to keep the Trainorders Eastern board running with all the reports on these things."

I used the initial post on Trainorders like a futures market to gauge just how much foam these things will generate. I believe the post will go down in Trainorders history as one of, if not THE, most active posts ever. Last time I checked it was over 100 replies and 13,000 views. The first few trains with these things leading are going to be like steam chases.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote