Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
IHapsias

Exclamation PIQ and Compression

Again, rejected for "too much compression" and now PIQ.. I don't understand how I am getting this if I am doing hardly any editing to the photo.. I only went and did the usual run through of sharpen, color, contrast, and the re-size.

Latest: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1311973372
Previous: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=660679977

I'm going in and taking the original, straight out of the camera file and editing it, and not saving it as the original file, so its not me editing the same file twice.. So what's causing this??

Any help would be greatly appreciated by the writer.

Thank you.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Is that the uncropped straight from the camera scene, or did you do a major cropping effort to get that?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Assume ISO is reasonable?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Would using a digital zoom on your camera along with your regular zoom maybe give you the poor image quality?

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
Would using a digital zoom on your camera along with your regular zoom maybe give you the poor image quality?

This could very well be the issue. If you are using a P&S camera, and zooming out to past the optical zoom point and using the digital zoom, you will most likely experience degraded image quality or more pixilated in your images. (seems to be true for all the P&S cameras I played with before going to a DSLR).

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
I only shot the photo at 34.6 MM, and my OCS shot was at 48.6 MM, but there is a huge quality difference in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Is that the uncropped straight from the camera scene, or did you do a major cropping effort to get that?

Loyd L.
Very minimal cropping, pretty much just cropping out the edges of the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Assume ISO is reasonable?
ISO 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_railfan View Post
This could very well be the issue. If you are using a P&S camera, and zooming out to past the optical zoom point and using the digital zoom, you will most likely experience degraded image quality or more pixilated in your images. (seems to be true for all the P&S cameras I played with before going to a DSLR).
Interesting, will make note of that.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
IHapsias

Post Down for the count?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=167363872

Well, lens flare it finally comes down to.. Is it fixable possibly?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=167363872

Well, lens flare it finally comes down to.. Is it fixable possibly?
Isn't there already a shot VERY similar to this in the database?

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 362220
Photograph © Ben Sutton
Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
Isn't there already a shot VERY similar to this in the database?

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 362220
Photograph © Ben Sutton
Yup, and both are pretty poor quality.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

You're pretty poor quality.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
california_railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
You're pretty poor quality.
Ben,

No matter how many times he is told, I don't think he gets it.

Steven,

I know you have buddies on here, I know I used to be one of them, until you "shockingly" removed me from your Facebook friends list... I don't know how I will bounce back from that (that's pure sarcasm incase you didn't catch it).

The truth hurts man, and right now, as you are "coming into your own" you need to hear it. You need to check yourself. You've been putting your foot in your mouth for a long time. l used to just let it go and say you were young and you would learn, but you don't seem to learn. You need to stop with the replies that you say are "sarcasm" (because 99.9% of sarcasm is what you really think anyway) and the whole "god of photography" trip that you seem to be on, instead of just distancing yourself from people who tell you how it is so you can live in your fantasy world.

I think you are the absolute last person who should trash talk anyone on any forum for their photos. Constructive criticism is one thing, but with most of your comments there is nothing constructive at all. Take a break, man. Take a communications class, and maybe a few etiquette lessons. Then, feel free to give people constructive criticism about their work, something with substance that can help, not just the trash talk that you so commonly spew all over the net.

Seriously, you need to think about the things people are telling you right now. It isn't one group of people, it's quite a few more than that.

Just some fodder for you to grind on while you are grinding those $2,000,000+ locomotives that you thrash daily at work.

Or

Last edited by california_railfan; 05-07-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_railfan View Post
Steven,
(snip)
I think you are the absolute last person who should trash talk anyone on any forum for their photos.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
coborn35

From a neutral standpoint, Im curious why Steven is the last person who should give criticism. Offhand I can think of at least 20 worse photographers who are worse. I think Steven takes some very nice photographs.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
coborn35

My edit isnt working, so suffice to say I am from the Department of Redundancy Department.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 05-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
From a neutral standpoint, Im curious why Steven is the last person who should give criticism. Offhand I can think of at least 20 worse photographers who are worse. I think Steven takes some very nice photographs.
True...im probably one of those worse ones. BUT.....why do good photographers have to go on a high horse and put others down or have a smart ass attitude?

Ben
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
PLEzero

First off, Ben and Steven can both take a good photo.

I don't think he isn't completely off base when he says the image quality is a little low on the photo Ben took. It looks a little compressed but the quality is still high enough enough that it should have been accepted. With that being said, Steven talks a lot of trash and it really is getting to the point of being excessive. Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should say it or that anyone wants to hear it.
My RP.net Photos
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
coborn35

Quote:
True...im probably one of those worse ones. BUT.....why do good photographers have to go on a high horse and put others down or have a smart ass attitude?

Ben
First, I think you are a fine photographer and you have covered the Burgh really well. I do agree with your point, especially when I was younger most of the older guys were just huge douches.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
sd9

Quote:
Offhand I can think of at least 20 worse photographers who are worse. I think Steven takes some very nice photographs.
Are you saying they are twice as worse? or they were worse and got more worse....I think you guys need a Dr Phil Forum
Old 05-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
coborn35

I think you need to stop being a smartass, I clearly explained why that was redundant.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
california_railfan

Quote:
Offhand I can think of at least 20 worse photographers who are worse. I think Steven takes some very nice photographs.
First off, if he gives true criticism, then it should be welcomed, but the "sarcastic" comments can be left out.

Second, there are always going to be photographers that are better or worse than you, but that doesn't make it "OK" for you to go around spewing trash talk all over the net about other people's photos.

Third, Steve does have some nice photos. I don't ever recall saying anything to the contrary. However, looking through his portfolio, I not sure anyone here will say that he has some, or even one of the best photos RP has to offer.

Quote:
.....why do good photographers have to go on a high horse and put others down or have a smart ass attitude?
I have to agree with Ben here. Good photographers, don't need to belittle others by degrading their work. Of the big time photographers that we look up to in our hobby, and others outside of it, how many do you see trash talking others' work in public forums? When was the last time you heard of one bad mouthing other people's work? How many of them have you heard or seen refer to themselves as a "god of photography"?

I think you will be hard pressed to find one, but when you do, please let the rest of us know.

Or

Last edited by california_railfan; 05-07-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #21
coborn35

I still dont really think you need to single Welch out, when many people on this forum make snide comments about peoples photos.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I still dont really think you need to single Welch out, when many people on this forum make snide comments about peoples photos.
Which is fine when warranted in my opinion. Most of us are adults here and should be able to take a little criticism every once in a while. When warranted. I neither agree or disagree with any of the statements in this thread, just commenting about this one point.

Last edited by troy12n; 05-08-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #23
nikos1

Im guessing this has become one of those threads where the original intent is totally and utterly lost but...........

The main PIQ is see with Ian's shot is the purple fringing and vingetting on the left side of the image, this is a issue that seems common with the S/SX series, I know mine has that issue at the wider end of the range. I personally liked the shot of the new units riding on the flatcars better regardless of what Ben had to say on the subject.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
Old 05-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #24
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Hey Ryan, say and think what you want. Doesn't affect me, I don't care, your and others opinions of me don't matter to me.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #25
california_railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
Hey Ryan, say and think what you want. Doesn't affect me, I don't care, your and others opinions of me don't matter to me.
This is why you will continue to turn friends into enemies. People have tried reaching out to you in an effort to help you see and change your ways, but as you said, you don't care.

Sometime in the future, your reputation will proceed you. I have heard that it has already hurt you in your failed attempts to get hired on with the BNSF (well, that and the fact that you and your posts/photos have led to people being fired from their positions on the railroad). Maybe if you would think about your words and actions prior to acting, speaking or typing, life wouldn't be so hard.

I wish you luck in your future, you're going to need it.

-------------------------------------------------------

For the others on the board who think this may just be a singling out of Welchie, it most definitely is.

However, what I have stated here in regard to him applies to everyone else as well. I will never understand how people can hide behind their keyboards and talk trash about others when they themselves have nothing worthwhile to back up their statements. I've seen it numerous times here in the RP forums, and it is truly comedic to read some individuals posts about other people's work, then take a quick scroll through said individuals' RP photos, and see the rotting fruit of their labor which, in most cases, is worse than the work of those that they are critiquing.

Or

Last edited by california_railfan; 05-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Closed Thread