Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Question Processing RAW Image Files

How do you convert RAW images over to PS?

I use Adobe PS CS and I can't open RAW files with that. I tried to use a utility that came with my camera called "Digital Photo Professional" which has an option to "Convert and save..." My question is if I use this option wouldn't I be essentially using a JPG and defeat the purpose of shooting RAW to begin with? Visually I can't tell a difference between the RAW & JPGs anyway, should I be able to?

Thanks for the help.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Joey Bowman

With DPP you should be able to edit the RAW photo, as well as convert it to a TIFF or JPG. A TIFF is an uncompressed file unlike the JPG. In my opinion, even if you shoot RAW, and simply convert your file over to a TIFF with out any more work, there is still an advantage. JPG's greatly compress the file, especially the colors among other things.

If you feel that you do not see a difference then dont shoot it. Too many people shooting RAW think that it is too much of a hassle with the "extra" work involved.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

Before trying to see if you can convert to a TIFF, see if there is anyway to convert your file to a DNG, better known as a "digital negative." It behaves very much like a RAW file should in PS. I have the same problem you do with my ".CR2" files and have to convert them to a ".DNG" in order for them to work in PS. Do a google search and see if someone has a free RAW to DNG converter for your file type or camera make.

Now, once you get a DNG and do all of your necessary editing of the photo, make sure to save a copy of your newly edited photo as a TIFF (before you sharpen and resize). That way you always have a high quality file that you make prints out of and have published if need be.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Under "Convert and save..." my options for saving the file are:

Exif-JPEG
Exif-TIFF 8bit
TIFF 16bit
Exif-TIFF 8 bit and Exif-JPEG
Exif-JPEG and TIFF 16 bit

No option to save it as a DNG. I'll do a search for a converter to see what I can find.

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Ween

Adobe DNG Converter:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

I use this with my 40D since CS2's Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) doesn't support the 40D (or anything newer). I convert the .CR2 to a .DNG and it opens fine in ACR. After processing in ACR, I save as a 16-bit TIF and process in CS2...

FWIW, I prefer ACR over DPP. I found it's easier for me to adjust exposure, contrast and saturation better with ACR than DPP, but others like DPP...
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Adobe DNG Converter...

Seems like a nice concept except now it corrupted the files it created or something because I can't open them at all, not even in PS.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

John, a google search brought up a possible solution to your problem.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00QSap

It seems other were having the same problem you were with the DNG converter not liking the files from the XSi. According to the forum, make sure you have the newest DNG converter and have your Camera RAW updated. I think the individual in the forum reinstalled their Camera RAW update to solve the problem.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/

Last edited by quiksmith10; 01-06-2009 at 03:54 AM.
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

As long as you have the update including your camera, it should work just fine. It might not convert the RAW file very well though. CS3 does a terrible job on my stuff.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Adobe DNG Converter...

Seems like a nice concept except now it corrupted the files it created or something because I can't open them at all, not even in PS.

Any other ideas?
Yeah, make sure you have the latest updates to your copy of PS...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Thanks for trying to help guys. The problem might be that the version of PS I'm using is CS (not CS2 or CS3). I wonder if that is why I can't read the files even after trying to convert them with the Adobe Converter? I checked to see if my camera needed a Firmware update but it was shipped with the latest version. I crossed version numbers with the official Canon website to make sure.

Sorry for the ignorance here but would there be something else that may need updating? Thanks for the patience as this is all very new to me.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
Mike B.
Banned

Did you check on updates for PS?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
Ween

According to Adobe, CS should be able to handle DNG:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/supporters.html

DNG was created in 2004 by Adobe...when was CS released? Like Mike said, you may have to get updates for CS for it to work...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #13
Ween

What version of Camera RAW do you have?

Quote:
The Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in (2.3 or later) now also supports raw files in the Digital Negative (DNG) format.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I tried using the latest one but didn't read far enough to note that it isn't compatible with older versions of PS. Now I just tried to download the RAW 2.4 update and it says no recognizable RAW files are found when I try to convert a folder that has ".CR2" files in it. At least in the 5.? version of RAW I could convert, but couldn't open. Now in the older version I can't even convert...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 AM   #15
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

It's been figured out. Thanks to everyone that helped.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Cinderpath

I actually have not used Adobe ACR or Lightroom for RAW processing for quite some time. I've been using CaptureOne

http://www.phaseone.com/4/

For a few years time, I think it still handles Dynamic Range, and highlight/shadow details, and noise far better and more natural looking than others. I find I have very little work to do on the images outside CaptureOne, and they are publishing work, usually press ready, which save a lot of time.

Not to mention it seems you need to buy a new version of Photoshop $$$$$ every year if you have files from new cameras. CaptureOne has been a lot better about this.
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I use this with my 40D since CS2's Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) doesn't support the 40D (or anything newer). I convert the .CR2 to a .DNG and it opens fine in ACR. After processing in ACR, I save as a 16-bit TIF and process in CS2...
I'm lazy... is that program free? If one were to upgrade to a 40D (or anything newer) how much extra hassle is it?
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote