Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #51
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
"To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me.." Who do you talk to?! Meet me track side and rap your game to me! Maybe, just maybe, I'll play dumb and let you tell me how it is, get real and get a life! I forgot more about railroading than you WILL EVER KNOW!! I don't care if your a friend of a dispatchers brother! I know MUCH more than him, trust me! Being in the field is better than sitting in the comfort of a chair! Don't believe me? Want to debate this?
I really take exception to people that are not railroaders but claim to have the knowledge.

-- Kevin R. Kohler, Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers.
So why are you here? I'm not trying to knock you off your highchair, but I know a number of employees who don't know shet about their job.

Last edited by Mike B.; 01-03-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #52
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Sorry all! Bad day I guess! I hope that I did not offend and/or persecute anyone. Mike, at that moment that one statement really chapped my backside tho! Again, sorry to all!!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #53
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
Sorry all! Bad day I guess! I hope that I did not offend and/or persecute anyone. Mike, at that moment that one statement really chapped my backside tho! Again, sorry to all!!

-- Kevin
It's all good! I deserved the flack I got for wording that the way I did.
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #54
chuckman

I find that the best way to meet people is just being at the tracks. As many of you have stated there are different types of railfans, however we share one common interest. As Nick said I have found that when railfanning with other guys (the ones I hang with don't even take photos but enjoy watching) want to anchor themselves on the tailgate for the rest of the day where I want to go and scope out different shots while there are no trains. However all in all MOST guys I meet at the tracks are good, kind and responsible railfans that I find good to hang with and talk to.
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #55
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
I always find something to talk about other then trains, even if it takes making fun of someone...

Usually I'll just show off my mediocre shots on my laptop, or, surf the net if applicable.
No offense, but if you're gonna force people to look at photos on your laptop why not show then the best you got?
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #56
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93 View Post
It's all good! I deserved the flack I got for wording that the way I did.
Wow, kind of ironic this thread was bumped.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #57
Alan

[quote=UCRP93;79298]Other railfans are generally a pain. Unless I'm going to a railroad hotspot like Berea, Greenwich, Fostoria, or something like that, I'd prefer to just not see a railfan. They seem to get in my way, make noise through my videos, always try to talk about something I don't care about, and more! I especially hate it when they arrive after you, and then get in your way and refuse to move.

Here, here. Very well said. Couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I prefer to go railfaning alone.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #58
khalucha

I go out by my self, but usually have my 2 & 4 y/o with me. I just wing it when I go out and will cruise along the BNSF sub or the UP sub with scanner in hand. If I get a shot great, if not, well it was fun cruising around with my girls. I am not out to get the "Perfect Picture" each time like some of the people on here. I am out to just to have fun with my hobby, and get away from my work.

As for what Kevin said, I could not tell you the difference between a ES44AC or an SD70, they all look the same to me. I can tell you the difference between a steamer and diesel, that is about it.

I have a friend gets like that with motorcycles when you go out with him on a ride. You stop somewhere and if he sees another motorcyclist in the parking lot he walks over and starts talking to the guy. Then tries to let you know he is and "expert" and knows more about them than you, even at the dealers. Makes me crazy.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote