Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
jnohallman

Default Bad cropping reject

I just had this pic rejected for bad cropping. I wanted to emphasize how small the two footers are, and I do have more of the photo to work with. Any suggestions?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=828395083

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
lock4244

I think the reject comes from much too much dead space above, and maybe a little below.

Personally, I like it the way it is, but you now how it goes... it's an objective opinion thing.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I think it maybe that the track is dead center down the shot, Try cropping out about 1/2 the track or so and see if that helps. Take some off the Right side so its not so centered to? I do like the shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
jlev
Banned

Good shot, but the question is, do you really need all of that sky? If I were you, I would crop 1/2 of it, just like milwman suggested. Another caution is that the shot was taken on, it looks like, a cloudy day. You still might have a hard time getting it published because of that. Still, keep shooting.

I need some help myself with this shot that I have had rejected four times for the same reason: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=465418221

Thank you.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev
Good shot, but the question is, do you really need all of that sky? If I were you, I would crop 1/2 of it, just like milwman suggested. Another caution is that the shot was taken on, it looks like, a cloudy day. You still might have a hard time getting it published because of that. Still, keep shooting.

I need some help myself with this shot that I have had rejected four times for the same reason: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=465418221

Thank you.
You cropped it too tightly, there's no breathing room to the left of the photograph and the wires don't add anything to it.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev

Thank you.
Didn't you already post that rejection in your own thread?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
jlev
Banned

Yes, but I'd figure since this thread is about bad cropping, I would post it. Well, I gave some more breathing room in front of the locomotive, but it still got rejected, for a sixth time. I'm not sure if the fence is any issue because the train is about to pass on the left of it. Thank you.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=409015508
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
jnohallman

Even if you get the cropping issue figured out, I suspect you'll also get hit with a bad lighting reject for not enough nose light on the subject, given the shadow on the left hand side of the nose.

Jim, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on my photo. Do you agree with the others that there's too much sky?

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

That train (if you can call it that) looks like if you leaned against it, it would fall over.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Jim, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on my photo. Do you agree with the others that there's too much sky?

Jon
Yes, too much sky. The subject is the train and the guy at the switch...all the space takes focus away from that. Also, here is what my eyes see...if there was one track, then running down the middle might actually work. However, since there is a siding, running down the middle looks out of balance to me. Moving the main over to the right balances it out. Also, reducing some of the foreground is important as well. I like rails leaving the corner of the frame, and this works out perfectly with the siding. Here is a 4:5 ratio:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3361.1230697266.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	3601  
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Jim has it right as far as what RP may take. Some shots just don't get on, This just maybe one of them, We all have shots that don't get on, One thing is RP doesn't take in account is room for headers like TRAINS or RAILFAN above. So what makes a great shot on here isn't the end of what someone may need in a photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
jnohallman

Thanks all for the advice! I think I'll go back and give Jim's suggestion a try.

Jon

Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #13
Christopher Muller

Glancing at the photo, the train seems to be a little soft and attempted to be sharpened. The colors in the photo don't look natural, appears a shadow/highlight victim.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
Jim has it right as far as what RP may take. Some shots just don't get on, This just maybe one of them, We all have shots that don't get on, One thing is RP doesn't take in account is room for headers like TRAINS or RAILFAN above. So what makes a great shot on here isn't the end of what someone may need in a photo.
I think Richard's comment is less than helpful. Some shots "just don't get on," but a lot of shots don't get on because of flaws in things like composition (rather than, say, screener tastes). While all photography is to some extent a matter of taste, and certainly RP has its share of particular tastes, there are general principles that tend to hold true almost all of the time. In a few cases "the exception proves the rule." This photo is a nice photo, but it can be made a lot nicer if Jim's advice is followed.

I also don't see how it helps to point out that a particular composition layout is appropriate for photo going to a different sort of use, a magazine cover. If one learns good composition, then one can figure out how to alter a composition for specialized uses.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote