Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Velvia 50 v 100

Went railfanning with an old friend this weekend, and as he still shoots slides, I figured I'd shoot slides... but when I went to buy film I had to get one roll of Velvia 50 and one of Velvia 100 as there was only a single roll of 50 left.

To those of you who shoot film - am I nuts, or are the colors on 50 much truer? I feel like the roll of 100 is reddish/purple... almost unberably so (I'm being picky... it's not that bad... but in 2008, it's bad enough that I'm really annoyed and bothered).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Ween

Wait. So you have a dSLR, but you decided to shoot slides/film just because your friend still shoots slides? Were you afraid you'd offend him if you went all "techie" on him?

FAIL!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

I hear you, Chris... but let me tell you... there's nothing quite as cool as having a box of slides be handed over to you.

In fact... everytime I get one... I kind of wonder what I'm doing with digital... I mean... what do I have with every digital shot? My slides... I can hold in my hand.

I know... it makes me sound old school... but it's still kind of cool.

Last edited by Freericks; 12-31-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Ween

Charles, here's what you do:

After your next outing, mail me your CF card, I'll print some stuff out, put them in a box, and hand them back to you. Problem solved (and you can still feel old school).
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

And of course, I'm now sitting here, scanning the slides.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Mike B.
Banned

Yes, you are nuts. You should have gotten Provia 100.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Wink

I don't think your nuts! I do however, agree with Mike on the Provia 100. I still have 2 bricks of slide film in the freezer and will shoot some on occasion. I do like Weens idea on sending you some prints in the mail, classic! Shooting slides keeps you sharp on lighting and exposure. Just my thoughts.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Cinderpath

I loved Velvia 50 (The original) and Provia 100, Before Provia F, which often had a purple color cast. This May however it will be 5 years since I shot a roll of slides (after 20 years of shooting them) when I purchased a Canon 1D Mark II, and I have never looked back since. I don't miss scratched slides, dust, buying expensive Logan boxes to store them, worrying about running out of film, the cost of film and processing, and I certainly don't miss scanning them. I love being able to shoot night or day, being able to simply change my ISO when needed, look at the histogram to gauge my exposure, and the gratification of seeing if the shot was nailed correctly while I am still at the location.

All in all the transition to digital has been for me absolutely liberating, and the most fun I have ever had in the hobby. I lament the loss of a lot of things in railroading, and the hobby, but the loss of film has not been one of them.
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Yes, you are nuts. You should have gotten Provia 100.
When the guy at the camera store said he only had one roll of Velvia 50 left, he then offered me the Provia 100... and only as an after thought said, or Velvia 100... I went for the latter. Now I know better. It's not very good, is it?

But now Mike, you have me asking this question... is Provia 100 better than Velvia 50?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
I hear you, Chris... but let me tell you... there's nothing quite as cool as having a box of slides be handed over to you.

In fact... everytime I get one... I kind of wonder what I'm doing with digital... I mean... what do I have with every digital shot? My slides... I can hold in my hand.

I know... it makes me sound old school... but it's still kind of cool.

Harumph. You young punks with your sissified "digital" and your wussy "film."

You wanna know what's REALLY cool? Wet glass plate. Now that's a REAL man's negative. You got yer big, mule-drawn wagon with a darkroom setup, that heavy camera . . . and at ASA 0.03, it takes a REAL man to get a shot without motion blur.

So get back to me when you can handle the fumes, piker.

John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
Harumph. You young punks with your sissified "digital" and your wussy "film."

You wanna know what's REALLY cool? Wet glass plate. Now that's a REAL man's negative. You got yer big, mule-drawn wagon with a darkroom setup, that heavy camera . . . and at ASA 0.03, it takes a REAL man to get a shot without motion blur.

So get back to me when you can handle the fumes, piker.

I am old enough that when I open a bottle of white vinegar it still brings me back to the darkroom I had set up in my parents' basement.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

From what I've heard, provia has truer colours than velvia, but I don't find film overly satisfactory in that area anyways. I've got my elan loaded with true B&W film, and use the digis for all colour.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
I don't think your nuts!
What do you think about his nuts?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
When the guy at the camera store said he only had one roll of Velvia 50 left, he then offered me the Provia 100... and only as an after thought said, or Velvia 100... I went for the latter. Now I know better. It's not very good, is it?

But now Mike, you have me asking this question... is Provia 100 better than Velvia 50?
I'd bet that Velvia 50 is still better than a lot of the options out there, but being 50 speed sure isn't an advantage when you're shooting moving objects.

Yes, Provia 100 is better than Velvia 50. Back in the day of slides, I shot exclusively with Provia 100. If you nail a shot it looks spectacular on Provia. Provia 100 is also said to be the finest grain film ever produced.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #15
WembYard

I tried all manner of slide film, but once Provia 100 was discovered there was no turning back. Most of my scanned stuff on RP is on Provia 100, the colours look great even in dull conditions; of course the disadvantage in the "good old days" was that you could not change ISO when the sun went in.

Charles, I know where you are coming from with slides (I get quite nostalgic looking through our large collection) but going digital re-awakened my interest in photography - I just need to be a bit more selective when it comes to deleting the not-so-good snaps.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote