Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Frederick

Default Why is MAC preffered for photo editing?

I keep hearing how much better Macs are for photo editing. But why? I've never really heard any reasons why.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

One of my reasons for having a Mac system in general is that it's a lot less likely to get some virus that comes through and trashes your files. Plus, color profiles are supported, file browsing is a snap, and it never has problems. My current Apple laptop is six years old, has been a trooper, and I'll buy another one within the next few months. I'd keep this one, except that it's a little sluggish with those 28MB RAW files.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
Joey Bowman

We use Imac G5's at school. I hope to buy one for myself by the end of the year.

My biggest reason for wanting one is mentioned above, virtually no viruses. I have had so much trouble with viruses on my PC in the past few weeks that I actually had to buy real Anti Virus software.

I also like the size of the ones at school, everything is right there inside the monitor, all of it, that is a big space saver, though PC's are slowly starting to adapt this(like the new HP's). I also like the fact that if a program freezes up you usually have the ability to do the "force quit" operation. On PC's you can try doing CTRL ALT DLT but 99% of the time this does not work and only prolongs the problem.

Operation wise, the ones at school are usually flawless, they work faster, I can work on more images, and do more. I can not compare my PC at home to the Macs at school, mainly because my PC is 3 or 4 years old and only has 256mb of ram.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
My biggest reason for wanting one is mentioned above, virtually no viruses. I have had so much trouble with viruses on my PC in the past few weeks that I actually had to buy real Anti Virus software.
I've had the same PC for nearly 4 years and I haven't had a single virus. You just have to control what comes into your computer it's very easy to do without spending a single cent on software.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I've had the same PC for nearly 4 years and I haven't had a single virus. You just have to control what comes into your computer it's very easy to do without spending a single cent on software.
Same here! I do pay for McAfee which also bogs the computer down but not many issues at all. Knock on wood!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Joey Bowman

Quote:

If it is so easy, please share your secret.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Same here! I do pay for McAfee which also bogs the computer down but not many issues at all. Knock on wood!
McAffe is useless and horridly overpriced. I use Ad-Aware, I had a large virus on my desktop at one time, I paid $85 for McAffe, and it couldn't find the virus; and it was blinking several different viruses on the taskbar. I scanned with Ad-Aware and it found every single virus and removed it.

Speaking of viruses I should probaly scan. lol
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Just get a decent firewall and get a script blocker for your browser. I don't even use any anti-virus software but I do check the task manager regularly to make sure no processes are running that shouldn't be.

Simple, eh?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Joey Bowman

What is an example of a good firewall? Obviously the one that came with my computer/XP sucks. And what exactly is a script blocker, at this point you are speaking a foreign language.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Wizzo

Quote:
What is an example of a good firewall? Obviously the one that came with my computer/XP sucks. And what exactly is a script blocker, at this point you are speaking a foreign language.
Firewall - Zonealarm
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

There are plenty of good, free, anti virus applications available.
AVG - http://free.avg.com/
This includes basic anti spyware protection as well

As I already use Spyware Doctor by PC Tools for spyware I get basic anti virus protection from Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I've never had an infection on my PC using these

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Christopher Muller

Two words... VISTA SUCKS!

Not many problems on my XT desktop, but my VISTA desktop and my laptop suck.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Amen! I'm not anti-Mac or pro-PC but the virus thing is overblown. I've never known or personally heard of a person who lost files due to a virus. Hard disk failure, yes, many times, back up often! But not virus. Just use an anti-virus program and you should be fine.

And especially since the various articles I read from time to time say you should have anti-virus protection on a Mac anyway, there isn't even a cost savings (to help offset the greater overall cost of a Mac).

I use the AVG suite currently, might switch to the ZoneAlarm suite.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
McAffe is useless and horridly overpriced. I use Ad-Aware, I had a large virus on my desktop at one time, I paid $85 for McAffe, and it couldn't find the virus; and it was blinking several different viruses on the taskbar. I scanned with Ad-Aware and it found every single virus and removed it.

Speaking of viruses I should probaly scan. lol
Yes, there are better products. McAfee does come in different levels also. One single program will never do everything the best. It is recommended to use 2 virus programs, 3 or 4 adware programs, and 1 firewall. What one programs fails to see hopefully the other will.

Best site I have found for 100s of free programs.

www.majorgeeks.com

check out spybot S&D (search and destroy)

and spyware blaster
Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Firefox + Spybot + Noscript + AVG antivirus + NEVER USING MS EXPLORER!

All free, all effective. No popups, viruses, spyware, spam, junk, poo, or crap.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
Yes, there are better products. McAfee does come in different levels also. One single program will never do everything the best. It is recommended to use 2 virus programs, 3 or 4 adware programs, and 1 firewall. What one programs fails to see hopefully the other will.

Best site I have found for 100s of free programs.

www.majorgeeks.com

check out spybot S&D (search and destroy)

and spyware blaster

I would not recommend running more than 1 anti virus product simultaneously - you will probably end up with each application 'fighting' the other and at the very least suffer very slow PC performance.

1 firewall, 1 AV product and 1 adware/spyware application should be more than adequate for basic protection.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
I would not recommend running more than 1 anti virus product simultaneously - you will probably end up with each application 'fighting' the other and at the very least suffer very slow PC performance.

1 firewall, 1 AV product and 1 adware/spyware application should be more than adequate for basic protection.
I agree about the more than adequate.

But there is a difference between an email antivirus scanner, which is on all the time and so you should have only one of them (same with a firewall). But if you are scanning intermittently for viruses, you can do more than one as long as they are not scanning at the same time. Same with spybot/antispy/malware whatever it is called, and those in particular I see lots of recommendations to run more than one.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
travsirocz

Firewalls will fight each other but you can get 2 virus programs. The best one runs all the time but you use the second one to scan your hard drive to pick up what the other misses. Adware programs 2 or more. Some of the companies themselves will even recommend that.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/col...ads/files.html
Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
Two words... VISTA SUCKS!
Even though VISTA SUCKS... I've never had a virus on it. Part of the reason is you have to give the computer permission before it downloads any applications.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
MTM9

The easiest way to not have viruses on your PC is to only open e-mails from people you know.
MTM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I agree about the more than adequate.

But there is a difference between an email antivirus scanner, which is on all the time and so you should have only one of them (same with a firewall). But if you are scanning intermittently for viruses, you can do more than one as long as they are not scanning at the same time. Same with spybot/antispy/malware whatever it is called, and those in particular I see lots of recommendations to run more than one.
Hi Janusz - I wasn't making a distinction between the resident 'real time' portion of the AV software that scans any files or email attachments arriving on the PC, and the disk scanning portion. Yes, it is the real time scanning that can cause problems if you have more than 1 running. Most AV packages have this feature built in though.

The key to keeping your PC virus free is really common sense - practise safe Hex

* Do keep your PC up to date with all Service Packs and patches
* Don't open mails or attachments from unsolicited sources
* Don't click on URL's from unsolicited sources
* Don't download software from disreputable websites

Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #21
Joey Bowman

Though I will not argue that the above steps are great for avoiding viruses, just in the past week having owned an anti virus program I have learned that simply going on the internet does present some viruses.

Both while being on Myspace or Facebook I have had at least one alert while being on each site from McAffe saying that they blocked a trojan.

There were also viruses already on my computers recovery files just 5 minutes after reformatting my computer, and I had not been on the internet when that was discovered.

And I also learned that some of my portable hard drives and CDs also have viruses in them, all of which have now been taken care of.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #22
Cinderpath

I am a 20+ year Mac user (scary) and have several PCs (100+) at the office over a 10 year period, so I have a decent background in using the two- I can not tell you over the years how much unproductive time and money (well into the thousands) has been wasted on PCs for various issues: viruses, networking, differences between "Home" and "Pro" versions (WTH, can't they just offer 1 single type of OS?), MS office problems with files not compatible with each other, etc. It's easy to be responsible for yourself, try being responsible for a bunch of employees, who are not always computer or virus savvy. I can not believe all the Vista problems still, what a joke.

My personal Macs? I've had only two minor hardware issues with a good 11 Macs (Between work and home), zero viruses, and pretty much zero lost time with compatibility issues, the exception being when they transitioned from OS9 to OS X and it was still relatively painless, which was a HUGE jump/and transition, but nothing like the Vista debacle.

Between the two, my personal opinion has been that PCs are for people who like to mess around with computers, MACs are are for people who like to get things done, and that the MAC OS is elegant, and very functional and user friendly. It just seems like everything takes longer to do on the PC compared with the MAC. My only complaints about Apple, their prices are still too high, and because they are now also the largest music reseller, and now phone maker, they are losing focus on their computers, again IMO. I can't complain though about the service, and quality of their products. I can think of very few brands that have performed as well as Apple for me, and is one of the very, very few brands I am loyal to.

As for the idea that MACs are preferred for photo editing, had to do with Apple being at the time (a decade ago) a leader in color profiling, color spaces, etc, when it was virtually absent on the PC side. It is little remarked, but Apple had a key role in the advancement of digital photography by providing the architecture, and most importantly creating standards to support digital imagery. Windows has made great strides in this area, and it is equal to a MAC in terms of photo editing, but given the choice, I personally prefer a MAC.

All things being said, I have to also give credit to Apple for being an extremely innovative company- a true hallmark of American innovation. They in may ways changed how we look at pictures, listen to music, and even turned the mobile phone world upside down. These things would not have happened had they not pushed the envelope. I find it kind of sad the lack of innovation coming from Microsoft. Its like they only innovate, when they are pretty much forced to do so.
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #23
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

My best friend from high school was a Mac head, and eventually convinced me to get one. I purchased an iBook laptop and loved it so much I suggested an Apple when my parents were looking for a new computer. My dad was hesitant, but bit the bullet and got a Mac Mini - in the four years since then, my family has picked up another Mac Mini, an iMac, and a MacBook. I picked up a Mac Mini to replace my old iBook, and my wife's got a MacBook too. After providing tens of hours supporting my in-law's PC's, I suggested they try the Apple products. They now have four Apple laptops, which they use for their primary computers. I've spent more time messing around with drivers and network settings on the PC they still have than I have helping out with the four other Macs.

Between myself, my wife, and both of our families, once any of us had tried using a Mac, none of us have even considered looking at a new PC. Yes, the Apples are more expensive up front, but when you factor in the quality of the experience, and the amount of time you'll save by not screwing around with viruses, spyware, adware, network settings, and the like, they're a bargain. If the new models are too spendy, take a look at eBay.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 AM   #24
Cinderpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
My best friend from high school was a Mac head, and eventually convinced me to get one. I purchased an iBook laptop and loved it so much I suggested an Apple when my parents were looking for a new computer. My dad was hesitant, but bit the bullet and got a Mac Mini - in the four years since then, my family has picked up another Mac Mini, an iMac, and a MacBook. I picked up a Mac Mini to replace my old iBook, and my wife's got a MacBook too. After providing tens of hours supporting my in-law's PC's, I suggested they try the Apple products. They now have four Apple laptops, which they use for their primary computers. I've spent more time messing around with drivers and network settings on the PC they still have than I have helping out with the four other Macs.

Between myself, my wife, and both of our families, once any of us had tried using a Mac, none of us have even considered looking at a new PC. Yes, the Apples are more expensive up front, but when you factor in the quality of the experience, and the amount of time you'll save by not screwing around with viruses, spyware, adware, network settings, and the like, they're a bargain. If the new models are too spendy, take a look at eBay.

I hear you Nick- my mom is a disaster, if there was a virus, "click on this box you just won a prize", etc debacle waiting to happen she is it. Her PC was a disaster, my brother tore his hair out dealing with it, I got her a Mac on ebay, and have been done ever since!
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I like my MAC, If you don't know if you will like a MAC you can get a MAC Safari (browser) for PC's for free and see what a MAC program can do for a PC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 12-31-2008 at 05:07 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote