Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
bigiron

Default If you were a screener what would you think?

OK board, been waiting a few days to get the final say on my appeal but since I haven't heard yet I wanted to get some of your opinions on this picture and the "PEQ" rejection after a cropping and under sharpened one before the time limit to view the picture is expired. I know the PEQ seems like the kiss of death to a submission but what are your thoughts?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=8984509

I will add in the appeal I basically said " I'm scratching my head on the PEQ rejection as shots like this have been and still are being added to the site and generally they are of higher interest in terms of views. I am just looking for some consistency in what is viewed as right and wrong even though there are many opinions. I feel this shot would've made a nice addition to the site. I then added two examples of recent additions to the site to back my claim and mentioned there are more. I put a third one of a older one of mine too in this thread.

The two examples:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=450884&nseq=8

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...418850&nseq=12

Mine from a few years ago..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=162695&nseq=4

Just looking for some constructive feedback for all parties interested .

Thanks,, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
JRMDC

I have several reasons why it is less than perfect. I have no sense of whether it should or should not be on RP.

But more importantly, to me, WHAT IS THAT THING?

And I do wonder if it might have been accepted had the screener had any idea what it is - a stronger caption may have helped. Unlike a transformer or a windmill blade, something recognizable, this shot has a distinct "blob/box" feel to it.

That snowbank is doing you no favors, makes it look more like a grab shot. Which, of course, it is. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-17-2014 at 07:42 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
WMHeilman

PEQ.

Words
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
jdirelan87

I think the PEQ equates to your photo being a 'going away' shot. Same rules apply as with engine roosters. I am okay with that logic (making a big assumption it will be fairly enforced!) True, the second you gave as an example is also one, but the photog hid the front couple very well.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
I think the PEQ equates to your photo being a 'going away' shot. Same rules apply as with engine roosters. I am okay with that logic (making a big assumption it will be fairly enforced!) True, the second you gave as an example is also one, but the photog hid the front couple very well.

John, I'm a bit lost with the "going away" title you gave my shot as the train has just approached and is going by me at 47 mph, lol. It was taken as the train was coming at me, if that helps. I have one going away for you....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...397831&nseq=30

Hence, the unknown of what is acceptable and what is not.... Thanks for the feedback.

Rich
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
bigiron

BTW, just checked my mail and the appeal was rejected.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

But more importantly, to me, WHAT IS THAT THING?
Janusz,,, I'm not sure what it is as it was the tail car on this train hauling large pipe...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...90&key=8719421

Will do some checking to see if I can find out more...

Rich
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
John, I'm a bit lost with the "going away" title you gave my shot as the train has just approached and is going by me at 47 mph, lol. It was taken as the train was coming at me, if that helps. I have one going away for you....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...397831&nseq=30

Hence, the unknown of what is acceptable and what is not.... Thanks for the feedback.

Rich
Rich,

For the most part I, nor the screeners, can tell from a stop motion photograph if the train is coming or going.* When it comes to trains pictures, the train coming or going is really neither here nor there (i.e., DPUs, helpers, reverse moves). When I say "going away" I'm referring to the fact the locomotive (or in this case, car) is front couple closest to the camera. Thats a killer for roosters of locomotives, so I'm okay if its a killer for roosters of interesting cars (like your shot).

* I'm aware that in your comment section you made a reference to snow blowing over from pervious cars. Granted, if you look closely you can see that effect. But I doubt during the quick glance the photo gets during screening, anybody would notice that.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 02-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
tbelton

It sure looks like a drum boiler to me. Probably either oil or natural gas fired.

Trey
tbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbelton View Post
It sure looks like a drum boiler to me. Probably either oil or natural gas fired.

Trey
Thanks Trey for the information as I needed a budge in the right direction. I just searched it and came up with this and a couple of more and seems you were right on...if you scroll down on the page you'll see the same shape boiler. Can you tell me if you think the same train having those large diameter pipe would be using those pipe for the same installation or use? From the looks of it, seems like it's part of the energy boom taking place in the US right now and I'm thinking since the train was headed south on the River Line, maybe going to a refinery or oil/gas field south of New York?

http://www.victoryenergy.com/oil-sands-sagd-boiler/

Thanks Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 02-17-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

It is "front coupled" and that is why they don't like it, along with it "going away."

I like the large counter weights on either end - don't see that all the time.

Must have issues with the wheels climbing the rails around the corners since the load is distributed away from the trucks.

I would speculate that four axles are required weight wise on each end of the span, and the inner trucks bear more weight, so the outside ones are the axles in danger of climbing the rails - hence the weights to keep them flat on the tracks.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #12
tbelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Thanks Trey for the information as I needed a budge in the right direction. I just searched it and came up with this and a couple of more and seems you were right on...if you scroll down on the page you'll see the same shape boiler. Can you tell me if you think the same train having those large diameter pipe would be using those pipe for the same installation or use? From the looks of it, seems like it's part of the energy boom taking place in the US right now and I'm thinking since the train was headed south on the River Line, maybe going to a refinery or oil/gas field south of New York?

http://www.victoryenergy.com/oil-sands-sagd-boiler/

Thanks Rich
I work in a coal fired power plant and we have small boilers like that which are used to make steam to assist the main 2 boilers in unit start ups.

Not sure on the big pipes. I wouldn't think those pipes have anything to do with boilers. Almost look like the big culverts that are being installed now in place of small bridges.

Trey
tbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
thats a killer for roosters of locomotives...
Name:  foghornleghorn1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  348.1 KB
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote