Old 08-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
Joey Bowman
Senior Member
 
Joey Bowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hudson, NC
Posts: 358
Default

These discussions always bother me because I have no doubt in my mind that every single person posting in this thread (or contributing to this website) has at one time or another "illegally" crossed or walked on a set of RR tracks. Because of that I have never understood why you guys want to bash these non "rail" photographers for doing something that is no different than anything that anyone of us has done.


On the topic, I helped out a photographer in the Charlotte NC area for a bridal session and then later on the brides wedding. The bride wanted to shoot on the RR tracks across from her house and the photographer nor the bride did not even think about putting down any kind of material to protect the dress from dirt and grease on the RR tracks. Unfortunately the brides dress was covered in grease and practically freaked out. I kind of stood back and laughed at their stupidity because of this.

Yeah I guess I am a horrible person for using RR tracks with my portraits as well.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
Cameron A. Photography
Senior Member
 
Cameron A. Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 155
Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
...and the photographer nor the bride did not even think about putting down any kind of material to protect the dress from dirt and grease on the RR tracks. Unfortunately the brides dress was covered in grease and practically freaked out. I kind of stood back and laughed at their stupidity because of this.
LOL wow. That's hilarious.

cam
__________________
cam from Toronto

The RP
The Flickr
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
These discussions always bother me because I have no doubt in my mind that every single person posting in this thread (or contributing to this website) has at one time or another "illegally" crossed or walked on a set of RR tracks. Because of that I have never understood why you guys want to bash these non "rail" photographers for doing something that is no different than anything that anyone of us has done.


On the topic, I helped out a photographer in the Charlotte NC area for a bridal session and then later on the brides wedding. The bride wanted to shoot on the RR tracks across from her house and the photographer nor the bride did not even think about putting down any kind of material to protect the dress from dirt and grease on the RR tracks. Unfortunately the brides dress was covered in grease and practically freaked out. I kind of stood back and laughed at their stupidity because of this.

Yeah I guess I am a horrible person for using RR tracks with my portraits as well.
Well I almost killed someone at work today because they were laying on the tracks so I guess I think there is a difference between someone who quickly walks across the tracks with no train in sight and someone who lays down in between them.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #29
Watain
-_-
 
Watain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiltons, Virginia, USA
Posts: 953
Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default

I've seen a photog put a chair in the middle of a mainline for a senior portrait....
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
These discussions always bother me because I have no doubt in my mind that every single person posting in this thread (or contributing to this website) has at one time or another "illegally" crossed or walked on a set of RR tracks. Because of that I have never understood why you guys want to bash these non "rail" photographers for doing something that is no different than anything that anyone of us has done.
Because we as railfans can do it safely, the general public can't.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #31
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,725
Default

There's a difference in crossing over railroad tracks, and hanging out on them. As a portrait photographer, I would never put myself into such a potential liability as to place or even allow my customers to be on the track, or anywhere else where their well being is in danger. If something were to happen, it would be on the photographers shoulders when the family is looking for someone to blame.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #32
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

The issue I have with this is usually the portrait photo they take blows, but I have seen some really well done ones also. I love the laying between the tracks shots as all I imagine is a completely destroyed pair of pants and shirt when they get up.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #33
Joey Bowman
Senior Member
 
Joey Bowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hudson, NC
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
The issue I have with this is usually the portrait photo they take blows, but I have seen some really well done ones also. I love the laying between the tracks shots as all I imagine is a completely destroyed pair of pants and shirt when they get up.

You would be surprised, I have never had a client get dirty from sitting or standing on RR tracks. Even in the bottom shot which was taken on a day where it had been raining all day (and still was while shooting) With the only exception to the story I posted above




Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.