Old 06-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
So how is the color "too jazzed"?
Maybe this guy knows the answer to that:

(only Pretty in Pink fans will get that photo reference. )

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #27
Dennis A. Livesey

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
just what did you do to me in a previous life, anyway?
It's obvious; I'm mucking with your life right now.

Moohahaha!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I think you mean at least 100 photos a day????

But...what's the motivation for having a set number of photos added per week? What's the benefit? I'd like to see your thoughts on how you've come to that conclusion, Chuck...
I'm saying that if they truly want the best pictures on the net, then the majority of sunny wedge shots wouldn't even make it for one technicality or another anymore. I do believe they truly want variety and originality, but if they adhere by those standards too strictly, they'll only have 100 pictures accepted a week. That's where I came up with the 100. I realize they accept much more than that.

So what this comes down to is-- all of the foamy sunny wedge shots still generate traffic to the site. I do not honestly believe that they can completely separate the wheat from the chaff and still have a successful site with the thousands of visitors they so desire. Otherwise, this would become a 'niche' railroad site, and as a commercial entity that RP.net is, this would be a direction in which they would not want to take.

As a hyper-regular visitor to the site, would you keep visiting if they only accepted the uber of the creme de la creme? I think you'd want something more, some 'filler' if you will.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #29
Ween

Chuck, I see where you're coming from with the 100 images per week deal but...I still don't see an answer to this statement:

Quote:
I often wonder if the site doesn't have a minimum number of photos they target to accept weekly.
You're saying there's a minimum number of shots that need per week. Why? How does that benefit the site?

If they need a minimum number of shots, that would imply that they accept sub-par shots just to "meet their numbers." Is this what you're saying/implying because I didn't see an answer to that question in your post above...
Old 06-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
You're saying there's a minimum number of shots that need per week. Why? How does that benefit the site?

If they need a minimum number of shots, that would imply that they accept sub-par shots just to "meet their numbers." Is this what you're saying/implying because I didn't see an answer to that question in your post above...
Chris, the typical RP conspiracist would certainly hold that viewpoint.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #31
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Maybe this guy knows the answer to that:

(only Pretty in Pink fans will get that photo reference. )
I worked once with Molly Ringwald and John Cryer (never James Spader) on separate occaisons and my brother-in-law sorta looks like Cryer.

Does that count for anything?

Is that why I'm "jazzed"

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
I worked once with Molly Ringwald...
You lucky dog!

Quote:
Is that why I'm "jazzed"
Steff wouldn't have been "too jazzed," though.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #33
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
I often wonder if the site doesn't have a minimum number of photos they target to accept weekly. I know they don't wish to overload the site with junk, but I'm pretty sure they want to have more than 100 photos added a week. If people simply aren't submitting, it's my guess that a lot of the regulars can probably get shots accepted that would normally get rejected by someone else with less RP experience.

Again this is conjecture on my part, but as we all know about RP.net, everything is an ancient Chinese secret around here!
The first two sentences are pretty unclear or completely so. And when you add the next two sentences you come across as a nut/grump, not to mention just plain wrong (which, of course, helps you to come across as a nut/grump).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
I'm saying that if they truly want the best pictures on the net, then the majority of sunny wedge shots wouldn't even make it for one technicality or another anymore. I do believe they truly want variety and originality, but if they adhere by those standards too strictly, they'll only have 100 pictures accepted a week. That's where I came up with the 100. I realize they accept much more than that.
I agree/disagree. It isn't that the majority of sunny wedge shots have "one techicality or another," it is that those shots are mundane, not "best." Except, I suppose, that they are the best possible sunny wedgie shots. If you want *nice* shots of trains, aka well lit wedgies, RP is by far the best place to see them. So in that sense the wedgies don't take away from "best," no matter how much they devalue the site to those who want to see great photography and have to spend time going through the chaff.

Quote:
So what this comes down to is-- all of the foamy sunny wedge shots still generate traffic to the site. I do not honestly believe that they can completely separate the wheat from the chaff and still have a successful site with the thousands of visitors they so desire. Otherwise, this would become a 'niche' railroad site, and as a commercial entity that RP.net is, this would be a direction in which they would not want to take.
I think I said something like the following a year or two ago, will probably come out differently this time. I view RP as a combination major league / minor league site. It accepts a significant volume of (well-done) wedgies from the minor leaguers. Some of those people stick around and become major leaguers, and that results in RP getting a (smaller) volume of "better" photography. It seems workable to me, and I can't see how separate sites for the minors and the majors would work out as well.

Quote:
As a hyper-regular visitor to the site, would you keep visiting if they only accepted the uber of the creme de la creme? I think you'd want something more, some 'filler' if you will.
Actually, yes, I would, and no I do not want filler, but RP serves multiple audiences (and pretty darn well, all considering!) and I know there are lots of people that want or even prefer the filler, and the numbers of those people are well dominant and I am just one person.

PS: RP must, of course, continue to accept the non-wedgie sub-best fare that I am able to provide.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 06-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
I worked once with Molly Ringwald and John Cryer (never James Spader) on separate occaisons and my brother-in-law sorta looks like Cryer.

Does that count for anything?

Is that why I'm "jazzed"
I actually watched them shoot a lot of that movie (the record store stuff). It was all done at what is now the Third Street Promenade, but was then the wreckage of the Santa Monica Mall.

Long, long time ago. Never had a crush on Molly though, not even then, seeing her five feet from me.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #35
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Forgot to consider an alternative crop. Also, the colors in Dennis' version are too jazzed for my tastes, these are more muted.

Good luck figuring out what to do!
Thanks to the ongoing replies to this I decided to take another stab at this based on this and other suggestions. You'll notice the similarity in crop although this is actually a different original image that was more composed this way (note the different stance of the people). Anyway - I appreciate the assistance and I think my take-away from this at least in part is that I need to continue working on my "post processing skills" before uploading here. I can see where this is a more appealing end result than where I started from.

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 288005
Photograph © Michael Harding

Thank you,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #36
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Michael

Congrats on getting it in!

I think you are quite wise to come away with the realization that processing is what was needed.

Meaning you could see that in spite of all the blather that I and other's were a part of!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #37
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

Post deleted by me.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net

Last edited by BarrySr; 06-21-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: blowing off steam. Life's too short.
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #38
JimThias

MUCH stronger composition, Michael. Well done.