Old 11-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
bigiron

Default You say the "Best rr photos on the net" ?

Well I've been away for the most of the year and had a second to look at some pictures today and see the screening process continues to muddy the waters in what is accepted and not!? Good grieve I saw this photo in the top of the day views and how did this get accepted. Sorry for using yours Alex, but having over 800 photos in the database your experience should be telling you this is a shot that should of got the "foreground clutter" at the minimum and have been kept for personnel use IMO. Seeing you have a drone, taking from the other side with just a tree would've been a bit better but still sometimes you just have to draw the line.

Image © Alex Gillman
PhotoID: 718049
Photograph © Alex Gillman

It just reiterates to the many photogs that have left the site for various reasons (some for the irrational rejections) that the statement "The best railroad photos on the net" is applied rather loosely. Many have kept much better quality and composed shots from the viewing public that were rejected by the screeners here and to see one that highlights light posts does nothing to ease hard feelings by many, lol. Oh well, time goes on and yes it's their site but live up to the title a bit as the debate will live on .

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Jackson Glozer

Totally agree with you Rich.
Jackson Glozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

The bar for aerial photo acceptance here is quite low. Tons of views from curiosity or campaigning, and only ounces of likes for the majority of them.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The bar for aerial photo acceptance here is quite low. Tons of views from curiosity or campaigning, and only ounces of likes for the majority of them.

Loyd L.
The biggest offender has denied campaigning here in the forums, but I don't buy it. There's no way that every "Where's Waldo" image leaps to the TO24 without outside help.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Loyd L.
Loyd, I know the bar is a bit lax but you need to have a bar set period and I know you've been here long enough to understand that, lol. It's laughable and does no good for the sites integrity when the parameters set allow shots (many as we know over the years) that shouldn't even get a sniff of acceptance.

Also, I agree with Doug as many shots of no special merit have bloated view counts from some computer viewer, link mania or other factors.

Like I said previous, drone or not the photog needs to get creative with the obstacles given or just keep the shot for their own files if it doesn't measure up. Then there is the photog gets a automatic pass thought. Screening process=one of the great unsolved mysteries !

Keep shooting, Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 11-30-2019 at 01:01 PM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #6
RobJor

Image © Chuck Phillips
PhotoID: 689372
Photograph © Chuck Phillips

I appreciate this photographer took the time to get his photo when then light would enhance his subject. Not a big fan of stationary steam photos probably from memory of days past watching a slide show where someone would shoot the greater part of a dead line. However, if you do then do the best you can with composition and light, it is just sitting there?

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Image © Chuck Phillips

Not a big fan of stationary steam...
...and then there is the lack of a boiler jacket. It's great that these engines have survived, but the visual negatives are so unfortunate.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Loyd, I know the bar is a bit lax but you need to have a bar set period and I know you've been here long enough to understand that
There is a bar set and it's called submit any drone photo no matter how crappily composed, edited, or disfigured from perspective distortion it is. 😂

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Image © Chuck Phillips

I appreciate this photographer took the time to get his photo when then light would enhance his subject. Not a big fan of stationary steam photos probably from memory of days past watching a slide show where someone would shoot the greater part of a dead line. However, if you do then do the best you can with composition and light, it is just sitting there?

Bob
I wish I had the original raw file for this one. I could probably help the person make it look more realistic. As it is, it is overexposed and a little tough on the eyes.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Sorry for using yours Alex, but having over 800 photos in the database your experience should be telling you this is a shot that should of got the "foreground clutter" at the minimum and have been kept for personnel use IMO. Seeing you have a drone, taking from the other side with just a tree would've been a bit better but still sometimes you just have to draw the line.
Image © Alex Gillman
PhotoID: 718049
Photograph © Alex Gillman

Rich
I don't own a drone, but have thought of getting one for (very) occasional use when I just could not find a camera position to capture a pleasing composition. In my view, a drone is a replacement for an overpass or a little hill that I wish were there. If the result ends up looking like I was flying, I would consider it a failure. There are most definitely a plethora of images on this site that not only make me wonder: "Why did you take that shot?", but also: "What made you think that a drone would make it more appealing?"

I think both questions apply to this one.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 12-02-2019 at 12:50 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote