Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
MDH

Default Can a unique move overcome 'high sun'?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I was wondering the question above when I submitted this first version. I even noted to the screener it was high sun but thought the unique nature, etc. made it worth consideration:

1st Reject

The rejection reason encouraged me to try again, so I re-cropped as a portrait shot (which I now like better) and submitted again with a similar comment to the screener and got the following result:

2nd reject

So now I'm curious - is this shot just not good enough to overcome the 'high sun' issue? I'm happy with it regardless but thought it would be a neat one to have in the database. What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Michael
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

A lot of things can overcome high sun, check out the time on this one
Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 242981
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

But advertising my own photos isn't my point. Did you appeal? I definitely think it's cool enough to be in the DB.
I'm wondering if a more wide angle shot showcasing a small number of hummers would work better. Do you have one of those?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I was wondering the question above when I submitted this first version. I even noted to the screener it was high sun but thought the unique nature, etc. made it worth consideration:

1st Reject

The rejection reason encouraged me to try again, so I re-cropped as a portrait shot (which I now like better) and submitted again with a similar comment to the screener and got the following result:

2nd reject

So now I'm curious - is this shot just not good enough to overcome the 'high sun' issue? I'm happy with it regardless but thought it would be a neat one to have in the database. What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Michael
I like the shot but I have seen "high sun" as a death sentence. I dont think the lighting is too bad. You can always appeal.........

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

To be honest, how unique is the move? I see military moves all the time both in real and on the net. The lighting in that photo is harsh, though I've seen worse. Something about the cropping, too, the train seems overly centered going from side to side, though it didn't get knocked for that, so never mind. Not a huge fan of the shot. Not sure it fits the "unique" bill.

Joe
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
To be honest, how unique is the move? I see military moves all the time both in real and on the net. The lighting in that photo is harsh, though I've seen worse. Something about the cropping, too, the train seems overly centered going from side to side, though it didn't get knocked for that, so never mind. Not a huge fan of the shot. Not sure it fits the "unique" bill.

Joe
Unique was probably not the right word - rare for my area is more accurate. This is only the second time in 3 years I've caught one of these in Toledo (the first was also mid-day but really nasty cloudy weather). There's also not a ton of 'military' (202) moves or 'hummers' (2) in the database (from my quick look before uploading), but I have to remind myself rare to me does not equate to rare in general.

I'll probably just let this one die at this point though.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Michael
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote