Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Eric Guthrie

Default What does this mean?

I have been sending photos in and keep getting rejected but one that confuses me is when they say common angle and standard power are not excepted what do they mean by that? and why wont they take photos of front coupled locomotives
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0245.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	2394   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0216.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	2395  
Eric Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

They do take photos of front coupled locomotives if it is done right. The image of CSXT 5454 is unlevel and some of the engine is cut off, plus it is a bad angle. There is nothing you can do to fix this one. In the image of 296 its just a standard roster shot nothing special. What they mean by standard power is exactly like you have, a CSX diesel is nothing rare, and the angle is common.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Guthrie
I have been sending photos in and keep getting rejected but one that confuses me is when they say common angle and standard power are not excepted what do they mean by that? and why wont they take photos of front coupled locomotives
In the future, please provide the URLs to the rejected pictures so we can see exactly what was said.

did you mean "common power / cloudy day"? If you are taking a plain picture of a common type and paint scheme of engine, your shot is held to a much higher standard of photo quality than otherwise. Generally that means poor light is a no no. In general, a shot of just an engine is held to the highest standard in terms of light, exposure, and the many other technical dimensions of photography. Another way to put it - if you (or someone else) can go back and get the same shot in better conditions, chances are pretty good the first shot will be rejected.

first picture: plain "roster shot" from the side, bad light (overcast, background much brighter than engine), the traces of falling snow aren't enough to make the shot interesting. Also unlevel. Also poles "sticking up out" of the engine.

second picture: RP does not like front-coupled engines. Why? Well, it's not my site and I can't speak for those who own it. But, a a front-coupled engine generally makes for a less interesting shot in many cases, and certainly for "roster shot" and/or engine-only shots, many prefer a "cleaner" view of the entire unit. A generic shot of an ES44DC, well, there are zillions of them (zillions on my hard drive alone!!! ), a submitted one has to be pretty nice.

Sorry, no go on these, it appears to me.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Jon Wisnieski

Hello newbie! Welcome to the forums. I am also relatively new myself, and these were the type of questions I asked when I started out too. Let me tell you, I have learned so much here in the last few months, so don't get discouraged if a lot of your photos are rejected. Keep working at it, look through the forums for photographic advice, and also the pictures on the website. You can really learn a lot.

As for the photos, unfortunately, these won't make it. Like JRDMC said, look for good nose lighting and composition/angle. Your camera quality seems pretty good , so that won't be a problem. I hope you enjoy the website and learn from the wonderful photography here.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
randy

And from another rookie...

I look at new photos every day to see what's being accepted and try and find new ways to shoot the trains I see. Keep shooting!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

Welcome to railpictures.net! Those picture are not bad, but not good either. Rp.net does not usually accept those types of photos. The first one is too dark, and the second one is front coupled and cut off. Just like what Randy said, look at what is accepted, and try to replicate it. It takes practice, but practice makes perfect. Take it from the rookies.
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote