Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
baggydave

Default As Jim Morrison said....this is the end my friend

I joined Railpictures in 2009 and very quickly fell foul of the authorities through my own stupidity. I failed to read the rules and made more appeals than I should have and found myself without the appeal process. My own fault and one for which I have repeatedly asked forgiveness but no response was ever forthcoming.
Through the years I have not uploaded many pictures compared to some, only ones which I thought were interesting or special and quite often, what I feel is special is not what the screeners deem to be, hence I have had some battles in trying to get the pictures accepted. Without the appeals procedure this has been difficult but I relied on resending a picture and explaining in the screeners box why I had done this and hoping for a thoughtful response. In most cases it worked, sometimes I gave in as I could not be bothered to go through a tedious battle when it was obvious that the other person’s mind was dead set against its inclusion.
During this time I have also fallen in love with America, making at least one trip a year to photograph the stunning scenery and amazing trains. Wherever I have gone I have always been met with courtesy and genuine interest in an Englishman in the States. People talk to me, more than they do in England,I once talked politics for 45 minutes with a cop outside of Coors Field, something that would never happen in England, and their kindness is outstanding.
Photographs that I took have given me great pleasure and have seen me gain several PCA’s and a Screeners Choice which meant that I was doing somethings right. On my recent trip I spent some time in Winslow Arizona and took what I thought were great pictures and submitted several for consideration. As a previous post shows the first got rejected and I didn’t take issue with the decision apart from to show it to others who would not have had the chance to view it and ask for their comments. As it happens it has been taken by a railway magazine in the UK and I am hoping to see it in print one day.
The second picture I tried was rejected because it was cloudy and because it was too close to the edge of the frame. This surprised me as it was taken on a bright sunny day and there were shadows on the ground and sunlight on the nose, always critical. I sent it back and explained why I couldn’t appeal and asked politely that the screener have a look at the shadows and the sunlight. It was again rejected for cloudiness. I repeated the upload and explained in more detail that the picture was taken in sunlight, this time I was told that I had sent the same picture as before. I had, but had added a very reasoned argument which obviously hadn’t been read. It happened a further time when I politely pointed out that it was in sun. Finally I brightened the picture very slightly and in the screeners box wrote “ added a little sunshine”. (British humour)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...32&key=9556832
I am banned.
I have written to the authorities but have had no reply.
So fellow members, thank you for your support and guidance over these last few years. You have honestly been a great help to me in things that have been said. You appear to be like almost all of the people that I have met in the States, always prepared to give a stranger the time of day. Unless I hear favourably from the powers that be it seems that my involvement in this site is at an end. It was truly good to know the majority of you. Davehewitt
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
NorthWest

Goodbye, Sir; it was wonderful to view your uploads here. I'll miss them. Best of luck to you.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
JRMDC

It is possible to come back to RP, albeit how long and how to do it, not at all clear. It has been done.

Regardless, whatever you end up doing, leave us a flickr address or something so we can view your work elsewhere, please. Good luck!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Yeah, "the rat" and "billster" seem to have gotten back, but HG's two week forum suspension seems to be forever and ever.

So many unwritten rules here. I often contemplate quitting in protest, but I always realize it would be an empty gesture.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 AM   #5
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Not sure what you did to piss off the screeners, but the real losers here will be the viewers. You have a somewhat iconoclastic approach to composition that is thought provoking, and like so many Brit railway photogs you are a master of the golden hour, especially the final few minutes before the sun totally disappears. Hopefully we will see you on Flickr, where creativity flourishes and we just have fun.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #6
ATSF666

Sorry to see it come this. I quit on my own volition about a year and half ago. I do not miss the upload drama and ignorant rejection reasons.

I recently visited with an English man and his wife in the Columbia River Gorge at Horsethief State Park, was that you?

DS
Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
RobJor

Assuming you still wish to post, I hope the ban is lifted. I looked through your images and love the variety. In fairness to the site, it seems they accepted a good number of what I might call non-standard photos, like
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...483259&nseq=85

I like you are passionate about your photos and do not view them as generic, ie if this one doesn't make it, just find another. But.... there is the saying of picking your battles wisely and knowing when to quit and tho I might like your "final" photo I think it got too personal for that type of image.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
baggydave

I would like to continue as part of this community as I believe that it has helped me improve over the past 6 years. The last attempted post may in some eyes have become personal but I submitted a picture that was clearly not cloudy yet the screener persisted in his view that it was. That is what caused the problem. In my first sentence I admitted that I made an error and that the non availability of appeal was all my fault. Could not the screener not have done the same? He could have admitted it was sunny but was too close to the edges. I could have corrected that or moved on. No problem. It was the impression that came over from the dialogue that upset me
I have still to hear from the powers that be so if anyone wants a flickr address here it is
https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewitt/
That's all folks
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
kszok

Thanks for sharing your flickr link. You have some really fine images posted there. It will be a pleasure to follow you and see what you have to share.

Railpictures
kszok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Yeah, "the rat" and "billster" seem to have gotten back, but HG's two week forum suspension seems to be forever and ever.

So many unwritten rules here. I often contemplate quitting in protest, but I always realize it would be an empty gesture.
That's because it's a cool guy club, once you get on little chrissie's bad side, you are in the shithouse for life apparently...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Odd, through time, my reasons for patronizing this site have changed.

Initially, I came for the database search functions. That's what hooked me.
What's here, what's there, who's shooting, what's possible and what kind of diesel is that?

Then, I saw some of the best photographers the 'Net had to offer.

As admin seemingly strives for mediocrity and intolerance towards it's best asset, its most revered patrons - its raison d'etre, I find once more the greatest appeal of this site is in its function as a database best utilized for location scouting, research and an occasional introduction to those willing to give it a go.

I wish it were more - the potential is here.

Well off to check FLICKR for Dave's shots. And an and untold number of those I had the fortune to discover here. Then to SmugMug. And then Facebook. And then perhaps 500px, with a side trip to Zenfolio. And then....

It is a crying shame there is not one site on the 'Net welcoming to all the best railroad photographers on the 'Net. One with the features and layout of RP. The site is a good portion of the way there - if only it recognized its most important asset.

/Mitch

Dave - see you on FLICKR!
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Multiple venus

I find if I participate in multiple venues for posting pix, it is a whole lot easier to deal with the idiosyncrasies and biases of the screeners here. I have come to accept the fact that almost any screening process is going to create some disagreement. Different folks like different images, in some cases the issues are technical and in others aesthtic. And when it is "my" image feelings can run deep. And in some cases there is simply no real explanation for why one makes the cut and another doesn't.

So I simply take the image somewhere else. I post here, Flickr, trainorders.com, my own web site,
Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum, and a few other places. Each has its pluses and minuses, and if I post an image at more than one place it is sometimes interesting to see how the reactions (hits, comments) differ.

But as imperfect as it might be I think the screening process "adds value" and makes this place at least different from the others, not better just different. And I enjoy the difference. But if a screener doesn't like one of my images for any reason, rather than getting upset I just take it elsewhere. The angst disappears.

Life is good.

Last edited by John West; 07-07-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I post here, Flickr, trainorders.com, my own web site, Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum, and a few other places... The angst disappears.

Life is good.
Life is short - the angst begins when you realize the best way to see the full collection of photos from your favorite photographer requires an investment in time searching through several sites. I agree, however - it's fun to follow the different reactions from different audiences and confining oneself to too few venues has it's limits.

Still - there was (and could be) a time when a large percent of "The BEST railroad photos on the net" could be found at one place with ease and little expenditure of time.

/Mitch
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
Mr. Pick

Dave, been following you on Flickr for some time, so I haven't/won't be missing anything. It's fun posting things here, but I enjoy the freedom on Flickr.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Life is short - the angst begins when you realize the best way to see the full collection of photos from your favorite photographer requires an investment in time searching through several sites.
I figure if anyone were foolish enough to want to see all my stuff, they would try my personal website.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I figure if anyone were foolish enough to want to see all my stuff, they would try my personal website.
That is quite a site, John. I've already spent quite a bit of time there myself. Glad you found the time to post all of that stuff!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
baggydave

Thanks for posts and all the hits on flickr. I had no angst at having that picture rejected, I had a problem with the fact that the screener was not prepared to admit that he was wrong about the sunlight issue. I have yet to hear from the powers above and now I don't expect to do so. I have angst with that. I am polite and respectful to others , have been all my 68 years, it is a shame that others don't apply similar standards.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #18
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

David, anyone who actually expects to hear from a screener is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
baggydave

If some one goes to the extreme and bans me for no good reason then I expect to hear from them. It is only right and proper for them to put forward their argument and for me to respond. If the correct procedure is followed through then no-one can have a complaint and justice will be seen to be done. As it stands the deafening silence leaves a bad taste.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #20
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I should have been more clear. My comment about hearing from screeners had to do with your last submission and thinking they might admit they were wrong about the sun. The fact you were banned with no discussion with RP management is strange. But management here seems to be somewhat (or perhaps more than somewhat) detached and rarely communicates. There have been some exceptions, but the exceptions seem rare. Perhaps it is a defensive strategy to avoid pissing contests, but it does create ill will among the peons. At the risk of exposing my cynicism, perhaps you did not approach the throne with the appropriate degree of humbleness.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
I have yet to hear from the powers above and now I don't expect to do so. I have angst with that. I am polite and respectful to others , have been all my 68 years, it is a shame that others don't apply similar standards.
I suspect, like many, you are not Dave Hewitt, but rather an ID#, in your case; 1399932.

When (if) that changes, maybe RP will once again be the prominent place to post the best railroad photos on the net.

/11960
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #22
Mgoldman

PS - that really is a creative and appealing UNMANIPULATED shot!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewitt/19080899891/

/Mitch
Old 07-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #23
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

When (if) that changes, maybe RP will once again be the prominent place to post the best railroad photos on the net.
But first, leopards will change their spots, pigs will fly...

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
JimThias

Dave, before you go, please take a look at this thread.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=17510

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
Rich K

Are you coming to the US this summer? Will you visit Berea, Ohio

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote