Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default And the hits keep on coming...

As I was getting out of my car last night, my EF 70-200 mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens slipped out of the camera bag and hit the ground. I was barely off the seat so the thing probably didn't fall more than a foot, but when I got upstairs, the focusing ring won't turn anymore.

Any tips or ideas? Yeah, I know. Send it off, right? Money is tight, but I need to finally replace that POS Sigma 17 to 70 mm crap glass and was about to put myself in a little debt and buy the Canon 17 to 40 f4L. The 70-200 lens is almost nine years old.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 01-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
As I was getting out of my car last night, my EF 70-200 mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens slipped out of the camera bag and hit the ground. I was barely off the sdeat so the thing probably didn't fall more than a foot, but when I got upstairs, the focusing ring won't turn anymore.

Any tips or ideas? Yeah, I know. Send it off, right? Money is tight, but I need to finally replace that POS Sigman 17 to 70 mm crap glass and was about to put myself in a little debt and buy the Canon 17 to 40 f4L. The 70-200 lens is almost nine years old.
Oh man, I don't have any solutions for you, but I'll offer you a shoulder to cry on. That's a bummer. Had my 60D fall out of my bag a few weeks ago while getting out of the truck. What a sinking feeling it is when that happens. No functional damage, but I sure knocked the pretty off of it.

Hope you find a cheap and easy fix.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
KevinM

Unfortunately, a camera accident could happen to anyone. Since we always want to be ready, we sometimes have a tendency to carry our "weapons" loosely holstered, and that can set the stage for a lens-drop disaster.

I use one of these: http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2226,53.htm

This case hangs on the side of my camera bag. It is designed to be opened with one hand and it accordions outward exposing two pouches. One holds the lens you are taking off and one holds the lens you are attaching. You zip it open, make the swap, then zip it closed. Once closed, there is no danger of anything falling out of it. It is cheap insurance to protect a very expensive investment.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned

Cool I hate when that happens.

I had a drunk down at Fullerton open my bag that was sitting on a bench and start fumbling around in it before I could grab him and push him away.

Luckly I didn't lose anything in the bag and he didn't knock over the nearby tripod with the camera and the other lens on it

He did hit me upside the head when I pushed him away and I decided my gear was more important than my pride so the guy didn't end up on the deck.

At the time, all his buddies were all amazed that I didn't clock him.

Just another night at Fullerton.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
jdirelan87

Sending it away might now be as much as you think. A couple months back I left my D300 sitting on top of the car as I drove away. It was actually pretty much a worse case scenario; I was parked on a long paved stretch of straight road, so I was moving pretty quick when the camera slipped off and took many, many bounces off the pavement.

A true testament to Nikon; the 27-70 f/2.8 was fine, the lens hood broke, but other than that nothing to report. The D300 was less lucky. It still turned on and shutter worked, but pretty much everything else was bent or broken off. I was expected the worse, but even with a ton parts ordered and a few weeks in the shop, the damage only came out to about $400 dollars. Not bad at all.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Mgoldman

I read somewhere that some people have their lens calibrated yearly.

I've found on more then one occasion, despite excellent care and treatment, that at least two of my lens went ever so slightly out of calibration.

One I just fixed through a camera calibration feature in the 7D, the other I had recalibrated and it was a big improvement (not big enough for most non-photographers to easily see, but night and day for me).

In that vane - I'd say, send the lens out and pretend it was just something due. Fixing and calibrating might be similar in cost. You gotta do it sooner or later anyway - it's not a throw away lens. Keep the Sigma, be happy with two lenses (vrs one new and one busted) and stay out of debt.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
Ween

$555 (plus S&H) gets you a used but nice 70-200mm f/4L USM from me...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I feel you - my 16-35 has been sidelined since the end of August when the bag it was in broke. It's a $350 charge to repair...
Well, I wish you luck.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote