Old 04-06-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default How's this one for composition, etc? Any chance?

Hi guys!!
I took this photo today, trying a different angle to get away from the 3/4 wedgies, and to include other items in the pic besides just the train. Please give me any input/criticisms, etc., on a photo like this-a "test shot." I wanted to include the Amtrak sign, as well as the station with pasengers waiting to board the train.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amtrak Arriving.jpg (212.9 KB, 255 views)
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Doesn't work for me. It looks your film sprockets broke and only advanced a frame : ) - in other words, you have a photo with both the station AND the train cut off with alot of dead space in the center.

Most folks do not enjoy an image where the subjects are cut off, not all, however.

My own 2.

On a positive note, good to see you trying new angles and perspectives.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here to take a look at my photos on RP.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Honestly, I think you may have missed a great chance to get a really neat shot. Here's what I would suggst. Move over to your right next time you try this. This puts the train closer to the station and takes out the dead space. (You lso need more train in the shot.) I *think* the tree will play nice and act as a neat frame. You obviously were there and know better than me how this might work. Evenif you have to shoot through the tree or under it, it could work.

In my day job, I've learned that putting leaves in front of a house number or open window that I'm shooting is much better than a dead on shot of just the house number or open window. I haven't totally used that in my railroad shooting yet though, but I did play aroundwith itlast week --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

So I would strike this up as a learning process and move from there.

Joe
Old 04-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Flowing

Well, what's most important is if you like it yourself. It would probably never get on RP, probably due to bad cropping (dead space between the Amtrak sign and the station) and because the composition seems a bit off balance by having your main subjects on both sides of the frame, both cut off. From a photographic standpoint the picture breaks some rules. Sometimes, if you break the right rules though, you come out with something really spectacular. But I do like that you got the downtown buildings right in front of the locomotive. And maybe you wanted to get that, and maybe what others would interpret as dead space is something you wanted in the shot. You got the station and sign, which is what you wanted. I've been known to take shots like this, but I wouldn't expect them to get on this site. If you think it's a good shot and are satisfied with it, that's all that really matters.

Last edited by Flowing; 04-06-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

What Mitch means is that there's not a steam engine in the shot.

Another thing neiither he nor I mentioned is the lighting. First, the sun is diffused behind some clouds which does not work here. But also, the station platform is in the shadows.

Joe
Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!!!!! Like they say, "practice makes perfect!!!"--and since I am shooting digital, I really have nothing to lose, since I am not spending a fortune on film and developing!!! LOL BTW, what do you think of this wide angle practice shot for composition? I thought that by also rendering it to grayscale, it might give it a bit of impact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ann Rutledge leaving KWD copy.JPG (114.2 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by amtrakboy; 04-06-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
Hi guys!!
I took this photo today, trying a different angle to get away from the 3/4 wedgies, and to include other items in the pic besides just the train. Please give me any input/criticisms, etc., on a photo like this-a "test shot." I wanted to include the Amtrak sign, as well as the station with pasengers waiting to board the train.

That might be a tough go. In this case, as has been said, there is too much dead space. The location of that sign and its size limit your ability to get the train, sign, and passengers. Have you given any thought to incorporating that little prop up "Welcome to Kirkwood" sign they have sitting in front of the depot? I tried it one day, but it was at sunrise, and its glossy finish was too shiny. On a half cloudy day like today, perhaps that is an option for you.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
BTW, what do you think of this wide angle practice shot for composition? I thought that by also rendering it to grayscale, it might give it a bit of impact.
It's OK on composition, but would be much better if the train were coming toward you. It also looks blown out on the sky.

Oh, and there is the little sign I was talking about, sitting right behind the last car. The good thing about it is that you can move it around a little bit to your liking.

Here's an idea for you that I have had for a while, but never done, probably because I don't like to waste electrons on Amtrak..... Set the f -stop to something way up there like 22 on a day such as today, set the camera on a tripod after the train stops, and do a very slow shutter speed to compensate for the high f stop. You'll get a stationary train with a bunch of people's motion blur as they board the train. I'm sure it has been done millions of times, I just thought of it some time back and never got around to it.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 04-06-2007 at 04:22 AM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
What Mitch means is that there's not a steam engine in the shot.

Joe
Actually if you look past the station there in Kirkwood, MO, you can almost "sense" the Frisco #1522 and all the other steam engines at the National Transportation Museum.

We now return you to your normal thread programing, already in progress.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #10
amtrakboy

I plan to venture out to Kirkwood again sometime over the weekend, and the "Welcome to Kirkwood" sign has already crossed my mind. I might even try to take some sort of night shot/time exposure with that sign and people moving about, using an open flash technique to fire a hand-held flash during the exposure(provided I can hide outside of the picture while firing the flash).
Old 04-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Most folks do not enjoy an image where the subjects are cut off, not all, however.
Well, sometimes people like 'em.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 175532
Photograph © Jim Thias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
In my day job, I've learned that putting leaves in front of a house number or open window that I'm shooting is much better than a dead on shot of just the house number or open window.
I photograph houses for my "day job", too. What exactly is your job, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
We now return you to your normal thread programing, already in progress.
I wrote almost this exact thing in another thread earlier this evening. I SWEAR I didn't see this post before now!

Last edited by JimThias; 04-06-2007 at 05:57 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
a231pacific

On your first shot, you've got a number of good ideas, but you've tried to put them all in one photo and it just didn't work.

Check out some of the excellent photographic articles on the web. Here's one on better photographic composition.

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/gu...mposition.html

You might give these a try.

1.) Shoot the engine, framed by the tree with the Amtrak sign in front, but don't include the depot.

2.) Let the engine get almost to the depot and include it and more of the depot, showing the waiting passengers.

3.) Try shooting the scene, more or less as you have it, but from further back, so the entire station and the entire locomotive is shown.

One or two of the above might work.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #13
amtrakboy

Thanks!!! They say you learn something new every day!!