Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default High Speed Subjects, Flash, and Shutter Speeds

Impressive shot, Loyd!

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 699122
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Glad this made it off your hardrive and onto RP. Someone asked if I had seen Sean Hoyden's version of this shot, but because it was not on RP, it would likely take hours, if not days to find it. Months if it's on FB, less time if it's on FLCKR?

Anyway - caught my eye, obviously -

Thanks for being so kind as to not hide /omit the EXIF info.

This leads me to a question -

How does one freeze a subject going 110 mph using a shutter speed of 1/160th of a second? Perhaps, it does not matter how long the shutter is open, but instead, the duration of the flash - which typically, would be 1/200th or 1/250th, no?

I routinely shoot the NEC and have found it wise to keep my shutter speed at 1/640 minimum, often sacrificing ISO levels to shoot at 1/1250th or even faster depending on the angle and distance of the train.

I, too, managed the feat, but with one lone flash, I was only able to get a frozen ghost. I was after the blur as my intent was to photograph the station through the train, yet the flash managed to freeze the action of the highly reflective Acela livery. Never figured out how that was possible!

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 432724
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Thoughts?

/Mitch

PS: That'd have been an SC for simply pulling it off. Surprised its not doing 110 mph to the front page, but it is the NEC on RP - in the Summertime.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote