Old 10-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default RP now accepting reservations for "Top Shots"

RP.net is now accepting advanced reservations for photo placement on the front page in our "Top Shots" section. Four available including the master spot.

For availability, please check Facebook at:
"Railroad Photography"
"The Real Railroad Photography"
"Creative Railroad Scenes"
and other fine FB pages everywhere!

-The Staff

PS - Top Shots #1, #2, #3 and #4 have been booked by a client for Wednesday evening, October 28th, 2015 through 2 AM Thursday morning. Please make plans accordingly.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Mgoldman

PSS - For those of you that made reservations earlier for Wednesday night's front page slots but did not go through FB we regret to inform you they have been canceled. Reservations linked through Facebook take priority. No refunds.

However, for our high rollers, we may be able to find you a spot elsewhere on the front page on the following Sunday or the Sunday after. Just submit a petition signed by as many of our guests as you can. Those with the largest number of signatures will be given special consideration!

Thank you!

Enjoy your stay!

- The Staff
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Decapod401

We all have reservations with RP.

The guy who made the reservations seems to drone on and on about the same subject. If you look closely, you can see his broken DSLR in some photos.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
JimThias

What's this all about?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What's this all about?
It's a further continuation of Mitch's pet peeve about linking. I'm not necessarily upset about linking, but saw an opportunity to insert a few bad puns.

If it's not obvious where Mitch's comments are directed, look at the TO24 this evening.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
KevinM

The latest Kevin Burkholder "Link-a-thon". I saw it developing during the midnight screen and pulled my shot out of the queue.

Fortunately, Mike Danneman is giving him a run for his money, without the benefit of links.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The latest Kevin Burkholder me-first "Link-a-thon". I saw it developing during the midnight screen and pulled my shot out of the queue.

Fortunately, Mike Danneman is giving him a run for his money, without the benefit of links.
I enjoy viewing Kevin's photos and think he's a talented photographer. It's obvious he puts a lot of effort and time into his work. We can't blame Kevin for the linking, he's simply after the same thing we all are when we share our images - looking for a big audience. RP simply offers up the incentive to campaign photos - "If you get us views, we'll give you the front page".

My regret is in the loss of a site which at one time promoted the best railroad photos on the net vs the best campaigned. That and the impression that if you want your photos seen on RP, you better "get to work" on your campaign.

I've gotten use to the fact that you'll regularly see the same handful of folks in the railfan magazines (including myself at times), but always felt one of the great things about RP was that it was your work that spoke for itself, not who you knew nor what connections you had.

Most popular would be much more appealing to view if outside links were still allowed but not included in the formula. Most favorited /commented might work, though likely there would be too many 10 way ties. Outside of removing outside links from the formula, perhaps the best solution would be to limit "Top of the Day" photos to an hour's front page exposure.

'Till then, I'll patronize RP for its other features: A great database with a tailored audience. And one of but a number of photos sites to share images and catch up with good friends - both new and old.

/Mitch
Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
KevinM

Hi Mitch,

It is one thing when someone has a photo on RP and other, unknown parties create links to it. It is another when the photographer him/herself posts the photo and as we've both noted, habitually initiates a linking campaign to get it on the RP homepage, ahead of every other photographer, who just offered their work up to stand on its own. It gives the impression that the linker is essentially thumbing his/her nose at all of the other contributors, and has a "me first" attitude. Those are the same folks who will damn near tackle you when they don't have a place in the photo line. Don't laugh, there are indeed folks who will damn near knock you over if they think they are going to miss a shot. I had it happen to me just a couple of weeks ago.

I don't ever want to be like that.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Feel better

I feel better now knowing why my hit count is so low, I used to think it was just because I was a crappy photog. It's pretty much the same over on Flickr, just a different process.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I feel better now knowing why my hit count is so low, I used to think it was just because I was a crappy photog. It's pretty much the same over on Flickr, just a different process.
Yup - It's no longer f/8 and be there, it's f/8 and promote there.

As Kevin stated earlier, however, linking to FLICKR improves your visibility without suppressing views from others. Removing linked view counts from the "Top of Last 24" would put the effects of linking on par with FLICKR. But, have you ever seen anyone campaign a shot more then 24 hours old?

/Mitch
Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
It's a further continuation of Mitch's pet peeve about linking. I'm not necessarily upset about linking, but saw an opportunity to insert a few bad puns.

If it's not obvious where Mitch's comments are directed, look at the TO24 this evening.
Quote:
The latest Kevin Burkholder "Link-a-thon". I saw it developing during the midnight screen and pulled my shot out of the queue.
Ok, I was wondering what was going on. At the time of my post, there was nothing out of the ordinary on the front page. In fact, 3 of the 4 Top Shots were classics.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Ok, I was wondering what was going on. At the time of my post, there was nothing out of the ordinary on the front page.
I assumed it would not be until early evening that the four linked shots would occupy the front page but wonder now if the links were removed? I'm only seeing linked view counts in the 20's and 30's vs the typical hundred or two.

It sure would be nice to see a variety of photographers highlighted on the front page again - based on appeal vs campaign. Kevin's included, just not necessarily guaranteed.

/Mitch
Old 10-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
KevinM

Quote:
Linkers don't really affect your view-counts or mine.....until their efforts artificially elevate them to To24 and they start soaking up the significantly greater level of attention that those spots provide.

View-counts can be affected by a lot of things besides linkers. It used to bum me out when a shot I posted here tanked from a view-count standpoint. For the most part, I try to carefully select the stuff I post here and limit it to the images I think people would find interesting. Now, I realize that if posted on the wrong day, even a pretty decent shot could could tank on views. If there is a big sporting event going on, or a holiday weekend, or something like that, you're going to be disappointed if you post here. And of course, if you post that killer shot at the same time someone posts 4 drone shots of a big wreck, you're just out of Schlitz.

With regard to your viewcounts.....you're kicking my butt with the shot you posted today!

My RP stuff is here.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Follow the leader

Quote:
.you're kicking my butt with the shot you posted today!
Only because I have learned to stand next to you.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #15
Decapod401

Quote:
Only because I have learned to stand next to you.
I hope you're not the one that almost knocked Kevin over!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #16
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile Hafta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I hope you're not the one that almost knocked Kevin over!
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do if you want that good pic.

Last edited by John West; 10-29-2015 at 12:44 AM.