Old 02-06-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
John Russell - NZ

Default Back-lit rejections

I have had a few back-lit rejections like this where there is clearly nose light. So the question that arises is how much light is enough? Not aware of other issues with the photo but is there something I could do with it, other than forget it getting in? The steam special in the photo makes one run a year and with no other trains on this "moth-balled" section there are no better places, trains or times to try. This is the only photo of the train invited in explore on flickr yet is the only one rejected here. If "we don't like your photo" then that should be indicated, not nitpicking faults. My photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...92&key=9828009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1582397...posted-public/
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
RobJor

Side lighting in this case is attractive to me. Problem maybe is that composition is so tight and head on. Typical would be a little wider, better view of side of engine and more of the train. Shadow whether we like or not would be less prominent.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-06-2019 at 06:52 AM.
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

I agree with Bobs idea on loosening up the composition.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
KevinM

Hmmmm.... This looks like a pretty nice photo to me. It would be one thing if it were a weathered CSX diesel, but this is definitely not common power.

I think the other guys have the right idea. The closer you crop, the more it looks like a roster shot or a "hey, here's a train" shot. We know that RP applies tougher standards to those. If you have more frame, show off the scenery around the train. Go wider. If you like, you can probably touch up the nose just a tick with the Lightroom adjustment brush to brighten it up a tad. Be careful. We're talking subtle corrections (Exposure +.10, Shadows +5 max, Contrast +5), and again, only on the dark areas. The rest of the photo looks fine. Personally, I don't think the nose on this engine is too dark, but that's me. When I adjust the dark nose of a backlit steamer, I just want enough detail to look like the human eye would see it......not like the sun was on it. I think your processing is already fine.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
John Russell - NZ

Thanks guys for your helpful advice. I will resubmit with a touch up as Kevin suggests. I don't use Lightroom, taking a minimalist editing approach (very basic how to skill.) I have more in front of the train as I took the shot earlier than I planned. Rejection is not for composition which does seem to comply with rule of thirds so I will leave that alone to see if back-lit rejection is used again. It simply isn't back-lit; nose shadow is from the protruding headlight.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
Rejection is not for composition which does seem to comply with rule of thirds so I will leave that alone to see if back-lit rejection is used again.
The composition isn't wrong, but the composition is making the less than perfect nose light more obvious.

Quote:
It simply isn't back-lit; nose shadow is from the protruding headlight.
Feel free to argue the language of the rejection, but it certainly more side lit than front lit. The tight crop makes it very noticeable.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-07-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The composition isn't wrong, but the composition is making the less than perfect nose light more obvious.

Feel free to argue the language of the rejection, but it certainly more side lit than front lit. The tight crop makes it very noticeable.

Loyd L.
My thoughts when I saw the initial post/rejection. If you have a shot zoomed out a little it would not be as obvious, and if it was lightened just a little, we probably would not be having this thread to discuss.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
RobJor

Certainly better, three men working, train farther back and you can see what they are doing. Mine, Limited, I was stuck on island on a road, I have different versions but once I get PAQ I forget it at least for a while.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
John Russell - NZ

The photo which this thread started with is now a puzzle: http://www.train-puzzles.com/puzzlep.../rp686681.html
Old 04-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
The photo which this thread started with is now a puzzle: http://www.train-puzzles.com/puzzlep.../rp686681.html
Ralph still running that site? Been quite a while since Ive talked to him online.

Loyd L.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Ralph still running that site? Been quite a while since Ive talked to him online.

Loyd L.
Ralph indeed, he's contacted me quite a bit recently for permission to use my shots for his puzzles.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Ralph indeed, he's contacted me quite a bit recently for permission to use my shots for his puzzles.
I like Ralph but he doesn't pay. Foamer fame is meaningless to me

Loyd L.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #13
John Russell - NZ

Yes, Ralph has used a few of my photos with permission. Nobody, magazines included, will pay for photos Down Under as far as I know. Calendar photos usually earn a copy or two of the calendar. Puzzles aren't my thing but I'm happy for my photos to be used so folks have more choice of railroad subjects, not just North American.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-07-2019 at 09:05 AM.