Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
ACR_Ted

Default Foreground clutter?? Really??

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=7753195

This is considered foreground clutter?? A few weeds here and there...next time out there I will trim them!

Ted
ACR_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

It's weeds on the pilot. Do you have a frame with it just a little bit further?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_Ted View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=7753195

This is considered foreground clutter?? A few weeds here and there...next time out there I will trim them!

Ted
Put an NS logo across the top and the URL of their web site on the bottom and it will be fine.

But seriously, yes, the bush is too much because this is essemtialy a roster shot and those must be clear.

Why don't you remove the bush?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
JRMDC

I'm with Ted, and I think Charles and Robert are bonkers, to the extent that I read them as implicitly approving of the rejection.

I had to zoom in a good amount just to figure out what was going on. I think what I see is one twig of a bush intruding into the space between the air hose and the MU cables to their left, so down and to the left of the knuckle itself. I say "I think" because things get to be a bit blurry when one zooms in. As far as I can tell nothing else is touching the pilot.

It also appears one twig is in front of a wheel on the forward truck of the second unit.

Is this what it has come to? A 150% zoom just to see that their might be a problem?

J

PS: my only problem with the shot is that, for this sort of a composition, one has to choose to position the train vertically above or below center (yes, Jim Thias, I said vertically!) and Ted chose below, expanding the plain blue sky to excess. Might as well also crop on the right while you are cropping on top, and let the pole do more of the work of cutting off the trailing cars instead of having the edge of the frame do it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

In the spirit of the elections - J goes negative.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
JimThias

This is one of those shots where he could have easily cloned out the small bush in front of the pilot on the lead unit. Simple procedure and no one would have known the difference. I probably would have taken the other option, though, and done a little "real time cloning" by ripping those bushes out before the train arrived.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
In the spirit of the elections - J goes negative.

Elect me to be your next screener, and I promise to overlook every half-lit angled diesel nose on an otherwise fine wedgie ... Whereas my opponent, the so-called "Mr." Freericks, will allow free reign to all sorts of riff-raff, and is well known for his unhealthy obsession with plain white monorails.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
This is one of those shots where he could have easily cloned out the small bush in front of the pilot on the lead unit. Simple procedure and no one would have known the difference. I probably would have taken the other option, though, and done a little "real time cloning" by ripping those bushes out before the train arrived.
I'm curious, Jim, just how much of that bush is bothering you? How much of it do you see covering the pilot?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
JimThias

Doesn't really bother me for this photo, but if I were there, I would most certainly rip it out.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Elect me to be your next screener, and I promise to overlook every half-lit angled diesel nose on an otherwise fine wedgie ... Whereas my opponent, the so-called "Mr." Freericks, will allow free reign to all sorts of riff-raff, and is well known for his unhealthy obsession with plain white monorails.
I call Pants-on-Fire!

It's a Hovair People Mover - not a monorail.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Mgoldman

The problem, Ted, is that the photo is too common an image to not have perfect. Unfortunately, I believe the shot may well have still been rejected had you captured something more unique within the compostion - like a twister or a bear. In your case, however, it should be an easy fix as suggested - even after the fact, I doubt removal of 1 sq nanometer of random brush could be considered true manipulation of an image.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
magicman_841

Epic nitpick.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Epic nitpick.
Maybe, but one that could have been avoided rather easy. Also, are we sure it's the weeds and not the giant pole over the third unit? Next, there are other issues with the shot. It's a tad dark, another easy fix. It needs a little CCW rotation, another easy fix. And it might need some sharpening, which would be another easy fix, but then I'm not wearing my glasses right now either, so I coujld be wrong. Also, the cropping and composition leaves some to be desired. It's common RP-procedure to let the train trail out of frame and not cut it off as you did. The train also seems low in the frame, but moving it up would put more of an unintresting foreground in there. Maybe it's just not a good spot to shoot a traain.

Outside the scope of the rejection, anytime someone names their thread "Rejection reason given? Really?" I pretty much know (or assume) that the rejection was valid.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-02-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: and another thing....
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
jnohallman

I'd appeal with a comment that the little bit of greenery does not significantly impact the photo. Unless, or course, the screened accidentally hit the wrong rejection reason!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Are we sure it's the weeds and not the giant pole over the third unit? Next, there are other issues with the shot. It's a tad dark... It needs a little CCW rotation... it need(s) some sharpening... I'm not wearing my glasses right now either, so I could be wrong... the cropping and composition leaves some to be desired... the train trail(s) out of frame and (is) cut it off... The train is low in the frame... it's just not a good spot to shoot a train..

...anytime someone names their thread "Rejection reason given? Really?" I pretty much know (or assume) that the rejection was valid.
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you all, the long rumored "secret screener".
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
JRMDC

Could someone please tell me just what is the nature of the violation that the bush is committing upon the pilot? Was it really rejected just for that one segment of twig I see?

Sigh ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Flowing

The weeds aren't a problem. I find the telephone pole blocking the third unit much more distracting. Maybe that's what they meant? Nice catch anyway, Ted.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you all, the long rumored "secret screener".
Looks like someone is taking a page from "Joe's Snarky Playbook."
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Clone it out? I'd prefer not to manipulate the picture. Lol. But seriously, I didn't even notice it.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
Joe the Photog

Cloning out a small bush is one thing, but cloning out two entire GE locomotives is another.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the photog View Post
cloning out a small bush is one thing, but cloning out two entire ge locomotives is another.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Clone it out? I'd prefer not to manipulate the picture.
Cloning out the upper stretches of a bush reaching in front of the pilot is all I'm suggesting. Insignificant manipulation if you even want to call it that. If he were to do that, no one would go to that location some day and think, "Damn it, this doesn't look like the photo I saw on RP!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Cloning out a small bush is one thing, but cloning out two entire GE locomotives is another.
Amtrak used this image for one of their brochures a few years ago and cloned out the first unit.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 193232
Photograph © Jim Thias

Old 11-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #23
ACR_Ted

Wow - I am surprised to see all of the comments about this photo!

A little background...this was an example of "Minuteman Railfanning" as in I found out that morning that it was leaving Tucson 2 hours earlier than what I was told the night before, so I just grabbed the cameras and highballed out there. That curve is 1 of only 2 spots (the other is an outside curve with even more clutter) between Tucson and Yuma where one can get nose light on a westbound train in the morning (and I know not to upload dark nose shots now - this was rejected for bad lighting (http://algomacentral.railfan.net/ima..._9-27-2012.jpg)). I did forget my "real time cloning tool" as well in the rush to get out there, but next time I'll have it with me. That spot is only accessible via 4 wheel drive unless one trespasses, and that area is hot with police now with all of the drug and human smuggling lately. A couple of weeks earlier in that area I heard someone blasting away with a full auto machine gun!

I prefer to have more sky than foreground, just my preference. Yes the post was a bit dark when viewed in the daylight, but it looks fine in a dark room, and I did sharpen it quite a bit, and it looks much sharper in PS than on RP's site....why is that?? Is RP compressing the photos to save server space? I upload the photos at 100% jpeg quality in PS5.

BTW, this photo (http://algomacentral.railfan.net/ima...A_8-8-2012.jpg) has what I would consider to be foreground clutter, but not just a few weeds like on mine. Next time I'll remove them one way or the other . And the pole in the photo is a problem I can see...but I wanted it to be in the photo as a frame. Probably should have cropped off behind the pole...

I did expect RP to reject this photo, but they didn't - the pilot is covered by weeds, and the handrail supports are obstructing as well! And the nose light is a 'split face' as well....one never can tell at times what may fly and what is heaved into the trash .

Image © Ted Ellis
PhotoID: 413684
Photograph © Ted Ellis

Thanks again for all of the comments - most interesting!

Ted
ACR_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #24
MagnumForce

A bush in the way in 2012 is entirely uncalled for.

Wait we are talking about shrubbery? Oh, well... then forget I said anything.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned

Cool

Someone with some balls would clone out the pole, and the shrub.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote