Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #51
John Craft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I don't enjoy doing anything unless it's challenging and the harder it is the better. I apply that to all my hobbies and they become more like work than fun, which is fine with me. I don't want to do something that is easy and become complacent which would make me bored and ultimately leave the hobby. Most people who railfan are just looking to have an enjoyable time and don't take it seriously. When I offer my opinion to these people about their work, they don't understand because enjoyment is more important than the result (photograph). We clash and we both put our hands in the air in frustration.

A couple of things, Mike:

1)
Quote:
hob⋅by - 1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation
If you're not enjoying it, by definition it's no longer a hobby - it's become something else. The pursuit of excellence does not require turning your hobby into work - it's quite possible to be very good at both your work and your hobbies without turning either into humorless drudgery.

2) Constantly criticizing others' results has nothing to do with your view of your hobby, and everything with your view of THEIR hobby.

3) If I know my opinion is going to lead to useless conflict ("your date is ugly"), my normal course of action is to keep my mouth shut. The possession of an opinion does not confer an obligation to share it, and opinions are valued far more when preceded by "What do you think?" than by "Here's what I think."

4) "I hope you're f*****g kidding" is not an "opinion," or a valid critique of a photo. It's an insult, intended to provoke a reaction. You know it, I know you know it, and the appropriate response is an apology. Stubbornly insisting that grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man looks pretty stupid unless your name is Little Milton.

5) Your opinion is just that - your opinion. I have my opinions on social and political issues that spring from the values I developed growing up - but that doesn't make me "right." And my good friends, who developed differing opinions based on their own values, aren't automatically "wrong" because they disagree with me. People who equate their opinions with what's "right" and "wrong" tend to be perceived as self-righteous, because that's pretty much the definition of the word:

Quote:
self-right⋅eous - adjective

1. confident of one's own righteousness, esp. when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

Origin: 167080
If you want respect for your opinions (and that's something everyone wants), start by showing a little respect for the opinions of others, and get into the habit of waiting until you're asked. And try to find something nice to say, no matter how inconsequential, because if someone consistently hates my work, I'll stop asking.

I suspect there's a little more to it, though, and you tipped it with your "prepare to be disappointed" remark. It's as if you're expecting others to insult your photos (possibly because they have), so you get the first dig in as a defensive measure. That's actually a natural impulse, but if you suppress it you usually find people are nicer than that. And in fact, it's a good shot.

As for the rest, the ones who feel compelled to insult you? Tell 'em to come post here, and we'll fix 'em right up.

John Craft is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #52
ccaranna
Senior Member
 
ccaranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 740
Thumbs up

Excellent post John, now we're getting somewhere on the road to understanding Mike B.

Let's call this an RP.net member "intervention".
ccaranna is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #53
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Rarely do I ever say "you suck at photography" or something to that effect. I usually just pick one thing and go with that. I don't want spend the time to pick apart a photo. I would probably be even less liked than I already am if I did that.
I doubt that is possible............
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #54
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
A couple of things, Mike:

1)
If you're not enjoying it, by definition it's no longer a hobby - it's become something else. The pursuit of excellence does not require turning your hobby into work - it's quite possible to be very good at both your work and your hobbies without turning either into humorless drudgery.
I can only enjoy railroad photography if I take it seriously and make getting the desired results the top priority. If I don't, it's just a waste of time since all I'm really doing is watching trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
2) Constantly criticizing others' results has nothing to do with your view of your hobby, and everything with your view of THEIR hobby.
This is a forum, I thought that's what we were supposed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
3) If I know my opinion is going to lead to useless conflict ("your date is ugly"), my normal course of action is to keep my mouth shut. The possession of an opinion does not confer an obligation to share it, and opinions are valued far more when preceded by "What do you think?" than by "Here's what I think."
We're not dealing with 5 year olds here. No ones feelings should be getting hurt when someone doesn't like their photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
4) "I hope you're f*****g kidding" is not an "opinion," or a valid critique of a photo. It's an insult, intended to provoke a reaction. You know it, I know you know it, and the appropriate response is an apology. Stubbornly insisting that grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man looks pretty stupid unless your name is Little Milton.
No way am I going to apologize for that. Travis was a moron for trying to get that on so I treated him like one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
5) Your opinion is just that - your opinion. I have my opinions on social and political issues that spring from the values I developed growing up - but that doesn't make me "right." And my good friends, who developed differing opinions based on their own values, aren't automatically "wrong" because they disagree with me. People who equate their opinions with what's "right" and "wrong" tend to be perceived as self-righteous, because that's pretty much the definition of the word:
I'd hate to live in that world where there is no solid right or wrong. What's your view on law enforcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
If you want respect for your opinions (and that's something everyone wants), start by showing a little respect for the opinions of others, and get into the habit of waiting until you're asked. And try to find something nice to say, no matter how inconsequential, because if someone consistently hates my work, I'll stop asking.
I'm not seeking respect for my opinions. When I post I'm not hoping someone will say that they agree with me. If I want respect, I'm in the wrong forum. Also, if all you're hearing is negative things about your photos, then perhaps YOU are the problem. Unless the person you're talking to has no idea what he's talking about, but then that's your fault for going to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
I suspect there's a little more to it, though, and you tipped it with your "prepare to be disappointed" remark. It's as if you're expecting others to insult your photos (possibly because they have), so you get the first dig in as a defensive measure. That's actually a natural impulse, but if you suppress it you usually find people are nicer than that. And in fact, it's a good shot.

As for the rest, the ones who feel compelled to insult you? Tell 'em to come post here, and we'll fix 'em right up.

The 'prepare to be disappointed' was said to cover both possible outcomes. If you don't like my photos then it's obvious enough, but if you do like them then you could be disappointed that my photos are actually good. I say that because I think most people here would like to see me fail.

The only real complaint I get is that I'm too tough on my photos.
Mike B. is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #55
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I say that because I think most people here would like to see me fail.
Paranoid much? A little crack into the world of Mike B. this statement is. It shows either:

a) Extreme ego, thinking that you would be so high atop a pedestal that people would find pleasure in some sort of downfall/failure. Hate to burst the bubble, but really, no one cares whether you succeed or fail.

b) Extreme insecurity, putting up an exaggerated front to make sure that you don't somehow "fail." Call it overcompensation, Napoleon complex, short man syndrome, whatever...

c) Both

I can't make the call...I'm not a trained shrink. Maybe Dr. Craft has some thoughts...
__________________
Ween is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #56
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

John, you are jousting at a windmill if you think you can present reason and sanity to Mike. I respond to his comments soley for my own twisted enjoyment.

As one before me stated so well, "Arguing with Mike is like getting sucked into a vortex of irrationality"


His comments are like picking your nose. "Not much in 'em to use but you just can't keep from looking!"
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #57
Christopher Muller
Senior Member
 
Christopher Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Not you, it was John Fladung and Christopher Muller in about posts 14-16. It didn't really escalate, but the negative tone for the thread was set when Mike B. had posted his "you've got to be f------ kidding me" probably put that in motion.

We were just having a little at each other... John is actually a close friend.
Christopher Muller is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #58
John Craft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
2) Constantly criticizing others' results has nothing to do with your view of your hobby, and everything with your view of THEIR hobby.

This is a forum, I thought that's what we were supposed to do.
So your view is that "criticism" is the only purpose for a discussion forum? Or do you mean that "Opinion=Criticism?"

I wouldn't agree with either - forums can be for sharing information instead of opinions, recipes, general BSery, etc.

And one can have opinions that aren't criticism: "Azaleas make great garden plants." "Chocolate Milk tastes good." "Gary Cooper is good in 'High Noon'."



Quote:
The possession of an opinion does not confer an obligation to share it

No ones feelings should be getting hurt when someone doesn't like their photos.
My comment is not about the other person's reaction - it's about the person stating an opinion.

If you insist on the right to insult me and criticize my work, I shall insist on my right to consider you a jerk and ignore you. "I can be relentlessy critical, negative and abrasive, and you have to let me hang around" is not a true statement.


Quote:
I'd hate to live in that world where there is no solid right or wrong. What's your view on law enforcement?
There is far more to right and wrong than law enforcement. It's not illegal to be a jerk, but it's pretty much always the wrong thing to do. But that has little to do with the subject at hand.



Quote:
I say that because I think most people here would like to see me fail.
In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet that, several hundred posts ago, you were dead wrong. Now? I've never seen any evidence that anyone wants to "see you fail." I'm not even sure what "failure" means in this context. In this thread I see people giving you a chance, but worst case, most people don't care one way or another.

There's an old saying that the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. I stand by what I said earlier - if you change your behaviour, I think people would let bygones be bygones.

But if you continue to insist that insulting a person equates to critiquing that person's photos, or insisting that there are "rules" all railfans are required to foll (that you can't even articulate) . . . then yes, people will continue to laugh at you, ignore you, exclude you. But not because anyone wants to "see you fail" - it's because, if someone is always abrasive and negative and never nice or positive, why would I want anything to do with that person? Why wouldn't I ignore him?
John Craft is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #59
Christopher Muller
Senior Member
 
Christopher Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I'd hate to live in that world where there is no solid right or wrong. What's your view on law enforcement?
Not to do anything wrong in their presense, not to run when they tell you to stop, and listen to what they tell you... they have guns legally for a reason. Disagree with what they are doing, comply and deal with it in court. Cops hate to be found in the wrong, especially in court.




A little reading on "opinion" vs "standard"...

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=7446
Christopher Muller is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #60
John Craft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I'm not a trained shrink. Maybe Dr. Craft has some thoughts...
I'm not either, I just play one on discussion forums.

But hey, it's the Christmas season - peace on Earth, good will toward men, ho ho ho and mistletoe and presents for pretty girls . . .

I know a guy in the northeast - a railfan, coincidentally - who's basic view on life has always been "No matter how @$$tastic I behave, you have to let me hang around." Over the years, he's reached heights of @$$tasticness unknown to science - our dear friend Mike is yet a piker in comparison. In fact, at a crowded night photo session in 1989, a "friend" screamed the prediction that "you're going to die a bitter, lonely old man."

In the intervening years, he's found out that no, in fact, we do NOT have to let him hang around. Neither have a lot of his employers - that boy's been fired from some mighty good jobs because he felt it his obligation to treat people like Shinola.

Today, he finds himself almost completely ostracized. That prediction will doubtlessly come true, and all because he couldn't accept a simple truism - "sometimes, it's just better to be nice to people."

Last edited by John Craft; 12-08-2008 at 10:20 PM.
John Craft is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #61
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
So your view is that "criticism" is the only purpose for a discussion forum? Or do you mean that "Opinion=Criticism?"

I wouldn't agree with either - forums can be for sharing information instead of opinions, recipes, general BSery, etc.

And one can have opinions that aren't criticism: "Azaleas make great garden plants." "Chocolate Milk tastes good." "Gary Cooper is good in 'High Noon'."
I misunderstood the original quote. I replaced criticism with opinion. I could speak up whenever I see something I like and I sometimes do, but if my photos were being critiqued I'd rather hear everything thats wrong with the photo rather than a dozen people saying "nice shot." A bunch of people saying they like my shot won't help me improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
My comment is not about the other person's reaction - it's about the person stating an opinion.

If you insist on the right to insult me and criticize my work, I shall insist on my right to consider you a jerk and ignore you. "I can be relentlessy critical, negative and abrasive, and you have to let me hang around" is not a true statement.
If someone can say only positive things, why can't I say negative things? If the members here truly don't want me here they can ignore me (which obviously isn't happening) or the admins can ban me, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
There is far more to right and wrong than law enforcement. It's not illegal to be a jerk, but it's pretty much always the wrong thing to do. But that has little to do with the subject at hand.
I disagree. I think people these days are far too soft and afraid of offending anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
In all honesty, I'd be willing to bet that, several hundred posts ago, you were dead wrong. Now? I've never seen any evidence that anyone wants to "see you fail." I'm not even sure what "failure" means in this context. In this thread I see people giving you a chance, but worst case, most people don't care one way or another.
By fail I simply meant that my photos turn out to be no good. I didn't mean fail at life in which case people here shouldn't really care. Get that Ween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft
There's an old saying that the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. I stand by what I said earlier - if you change your behaviour, I think people would let bygones be bygones.

But if you continue to insist that insulting a person equates to critiquing that person's photos, or insisting that there are "rules" all railfans are required to foll (that you can't even articulate) . . . then yes, people will continue to laugh at you, ignore you, exclude you. But not because anyone wants to "see you fail" - it's because, if someone is always abrasive and negative and never nice or positive, why would I want anything to do with that person? Why wouldn't I ignore him?
Rarely do I ever actually insult someone. I may insult their photo, but not them as a person. In a case like Travis in this thread I think an insult towards him is appropriate because he should know better and it was just plain stupid of him to try to get that photo in the DB.

I can articulate my rules which really just come down to one thing: accurate documentation. If it's a doctored photo it's invalid in my eyes.

I can be nice and positive, but you have to give me something to be nice and positive about.
Mike B. is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #62
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Mike your not much of a teacher, you tend to just kick the legs out from under a new photographer, thats what gets all or some of the guys going. Some will pick it up some wont.
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #63
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Rarely do I ever actually insult someone. I may insult their photo, but not them as a person.
Oh, then that makes it okay. That's kinda like saying, "You're kid is one ugly mo-fo. But I'm not insulting you, I'm just insulting your kid."

Quote:
By fail I simply meant that my photos turn out to be no good. I didn't mean fail at life in which case people here shouldn't really care. Get that Ween?
Again, no one's sitting around hoping you blow all your shots. No one cares whether you succeed or fail, at life or in your hobby.
__________________
Ween is offline  
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #64
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Rarely do I ever actually insult someone. I may insult their photo, but not them as a person. In a case like Travis in this thread I think an insult towards him is appropriate because he should know better and it was just plain stupid of him to try to get that photo in the DB.

I can articulate my rules which really just come down to one thing: accurate documentation. If it's a doctored photo it's invalid in my eyes.

I can be nice and positive, but you have to give me something to be nice and positive about.
Mike your statement about rarely insulting people is blatantly false. You often insult the person.

Don't try to be nice and positive. That would violate your rule about accurate documentation and would just be invalid in my eyes.

What appears unfortunite is that it may be possible that you could have something valuable to add to discussions, but you have commented yourself into irrelevancy.

The 'tuff guy' thing is a little old and frankly, you lack the credentials to pull it off. So take your toys and go home if you can't show some manners and common courtesy.
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #65
John Craft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I think people these days are far too soft and afraid of offending anyone.

I can be nice and positive, but you have to give me something to be nice and positive about.

Well, all righty then.

Just for the record? You're not worth the trouble. Have a nice life.
John Craft is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #66
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft

Just for the record?
Just for the record, John, you seem like the kind of person I'd enjoy shooting the shit with over a beer or two.
JimThias is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 AM   #67
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Oh, then that makes it okay. That's kinda like saying, "You're kid is one ugly mo-fo. But I'm not insulting you, I'm just insulting your kid."
I sure hope you don't think of your photos are children. You also proved that a lot of railfans are way too emotionally attached the their photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Again, no one's sitting around hoping you blow all your shots. No one cares whether you succeed or fail, at life or in your hobby.
I know no one is sitting around hoping I blow all my shots, but I'd bet some people here would rather see a photo of mine that sucks than a photo of mine that is good just to make them feel better about not liking me. If you're doing the same thing that a person you don't like is doing, it's only natural to not want that person to do well.

Moore, show me multiple examples of where I insulted a person who didn't deserve it?
Mike B. is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #68
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I sure hope you don't think of your photos are children. You also proved that a lot of railfans are way too emotionally attached the their photos.



I know no one is sitting around hoping I blow all my shots, but I'd bet some people here would rather see a photo of mine that sucks than a photo of mine that is good just to make them feel better about not liking me. If you're doing the same thing that a person you don't like is doing, it's only natural to not want that person to do well.

Moore, show me multiple examples of where I insulted a person who didn't deserve it?
I can give examples but better yet, You give an example of one of your insults that is "deserving" and the reason it is..........
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #69
Railfan Ohio
Senior Member
 
Railfan Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fredericktown, Ohio
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I sure hope you don't think of your photos are children. You also proved that a lot of railfans are way too emotionally attached the their photos.
Mike, you're the one that compared photos to children, not Ween. He was using a random example. Also, by insulting the photo, you insult the photographer, so saying you don't is a lie.
__________________
Andy Toms

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #70
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
I sure hope you don't think of your photos are children. You also proved that a lot of railfans are way too emotionally attached the their photos.
And yet another Mike B. logic train derailment! We'll let you keep your shovel, Mike, so you can keep digging your hole to a deeper level of stupidity. Hmmmm, is that insulting? What if it was meant as compliment, a shout out to hard work and focusing on achieving a desired goal? Anyway...

Okay, you don't like the child analogy. Fine, even though it's spot on and you know it. And for the record, I don't think of my photos as my children, and I'm confused as to how I "proved a lot of railfans are way too emotionally attached to their photos." I guess those details were lost in the logic derailment.

Here's another analogy..."Hey, Bob, that's a terrible haircut. It makes you look like a pedophile. That's not a knock on you, it's a knock on your barber." But what if that's the way Bob wanted his hair cut? Ooops.

Or another..."Hey, Chip, that shirt makes you look fat. That's not a knock on you, but it's the truth." But if Chip picked out the shirt and he thought it looked good and then someone tells him it makes him look fat, how is that not an insult to him? Well, you could argue that "it does make him look fat." But what if someone else says it makes him look thin? I guess we're back into that opinion realm again.

So I guess it's possible to insult someone even though it's not a direct insult to the person. Would you agree? Or do you still not see the parallel?
__________________

Last edited by Ween; 12-09-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Ween is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #71
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I could speak up whenever I see something I like and I sometimes do, but if my photos were being critiqued I'd rather hear everything thats wrong with the photo rather than a dozen people saying "nice shot." A bunch of people saying they like my shot won't help me improve.

If someone can say only positive things, why can't I say negative things?

I think people these days are far too soft and afraid of offending anyone.

Rarely do I ever actually insult someone. I may insult their photo, but not them as a person. In a case like Travis in this thread I think an insult towards him is appropriate because he should know better and it was just plain stupid of him to try to get that photo in the DB.
Mike, I agree with what you said above. While I think you do say alot of things for the sake of trolling, there is certainly a mentality in this forum that 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' and unfortunately most of the time it prevents people for really gaining anything!

Now, this that being said....

You seem to be sensible. As such, you obviously must: 1) realize your style is abrasive (sometimes even more so when you will criticize with little or no follow up) and 2) want to be known as an abrasive or trolling poster because you continue to present yourself in such a manor. Keeping this mind, don't expect people to warm up to, or for that matter, keep typing these long responses justifying your actions to us....

unless you are just whoring for attention, which would be the pot calling the kettle black
jdirelan87 is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #72
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Nope.

In no way is it insulting to a person when you don't like their photo. It's just a photo and has no connection to what kind of person the photographer is. A photo is not a reflection of what kind of person the photographer is. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Moore, my example is this very thread with Travis. I've mentioned it multiple times but I guess you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
You seem to be sensible. As such, you obviously must: 1) realize your style is abrasive (sometimes even more so when you will criticize with little or no follow up) and 2) want to be known as an abrasive or trolling poster because you continue to present yourself in such a manor. Keeping this mind, don't expect people to warm up to, or for that matter, keep typing these long responses justifying your actions to us....

unless you are just whoring for attention, which would be the pot calling the kettle black.
I know I am somewhat abrasive, but honesty think that is the best and quickest way to learn to be a better photographer.

If I was really concerned with how I was known, I would have left this forum a long time ago. Maybe it would be best if I did leave.

Last edited by Mike B.; 12-09-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Mike B. is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #73
ccaranna
Senior Member
 
ccaranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 740
Default

Ween's last post was the funniest thing I've read here in a long time. Good one!

One thing I can say about Mike is he must be a real charmer in real life...

Still, no matter how difficult, critical, judgemental, and rudely opinionated he is, I feel badly picking on him because I really do believe deep down he's sad and lonely. It's too bad. Oh well, nobody can help Mike B. but Mike B. himself.
ccaranna is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #74
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Still, no matter how difficult, critical, judgemental, and rudely opinionated he is, I feel badly picking on him because I really do believe deep down he's sad and lonely. It's too bad. Oh well, nobody can help Mike B. but Mike B. himself.

Mommy, why did you leave?!?!?
Mike B. is offline  
Old 12-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #75
ccaranna
Senior Member
 
ccaranna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Mommy, why did you leave?!?!?
You guys crack me up. This is the most fun I've had on this forum in a LONG time. Well worth the price of admission.
ccaranna is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.