Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #51
Ween

Quote:
Who do you think is smarter? You, with a brain in your head, or that little camera in your hand that is plastic and moving parts?
I don't know, Joe, with some people I'd trust the plasitc and moving parts over their skull jelly any day...
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #52
Carl Becker

I actually don't shoot in Auto that extremely often. Most of the time I do go into manual, but when the lighting conditions are perfect and/or I'm just going for a very typical crossing wedge, I will just switch it to auto and let it do what it wants. It has never failed me.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #53
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
but would be great for beginners.
By beginners, I'm assuming you mean someone who is just coming into photography and will later switch to an SLR. Wouldn't this new fangled camera be bad for them since it doesn't teach them how to use an SLR anymore than a P&S does?
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #54
Northern Limits

Thumbs up Took your advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
IMO, take a look at Canon's high-end digitals. The new SX1000 is one of them. Also currently in production are the G7, G9, TX1, and S5 IS. The S3 IS is out of production but still available widely. Nearly every camera dealer here in town seems to have one somewhere.
This tread is stale, but guess what Carl; I got an early Christmas present. My wife bought me a G-9.
And here is the result from my first time out with it. Boy am I happy.

Image © Jim Dorst
PhotoID: 214687
Photograph © Jim Dorst

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #55
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
To each their own! Given all the DSLR gear I have, if I am going to have a P/S, I'm going to want one so small I can hide it in my sock!
Yeah thats a really good "point." Not only is my DSLR big on its own, but when you include the whole rig (lens, notebook, cleaning stuff, scanner), you need a backpack it haul it all around.

Here in PGH, its hard to go anywhere without passing some tracks. Because of that, I often thought about investing in a really small, compact P/S just so I can get grab shots incase I'm getting a bite to eat and see four 80MACs in a lite engine move (its happened more than once).

Only problem is I have a hard time convincing myself that its worth a $100 +/- investment for grab shot additions to the personal collection.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #56
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
Yeah thats a really good "point." Not only is my DSLR big on its own, but when you include the whole rig (lens, notebook, cleaning stuff, scanner), you need a backpack it haul it all around.

Here in PGH, its hard to go anywhere without passing some tracks. Because of that, I often thought about investing in a really small, compact P/S just so I can get grab shots incase I'm getting a bite to eat and see four 80MACs in a lite engine move (its happened more than once).

Only problem is I have a hard time convincing myself that its worth a $100 +/- investment for grab shot additions to the personal collection.
Think of a high end P&S as a cross-over. You know, an SUV is too big, and a sedan too small.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote