Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
amtrakboy
Senior Member
 
amtrakboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 255
Default Horizon Unlevel-What should I do?

Hi guys!!

Here I have a photo rejected twice for "Horizon Unlevel." This latest rejection is after I leveled it by placing a leveling grid over it in my photo-editing software. I leveled it by the station building in the background. Can someone give me some advice? All help appreciated!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1158549540
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Arne H. B.
Senior Member
 
Arne H. B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 171
Default

Looks like there's some wide angle distortion going on. Try leveling off the pedestrian walkway, but I think they will hit you with cloudy/common after you get it level.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Rotate 1.2 degrees CCW. It will be "good enough".

I have to ask you though, why did you shoot it at f4.3, whatever that is. Is this a point and shoot camera? Focal length shows 9mm. What?

Like said, it could also get a cloudy reject at some point.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
amtrakboy
Senior Member
 
amtrakboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 255
Default

I shot it at 9mm to take in the entire scene, yet knew at the time I could recrop to eliminate undesirable elements of the image if needed to improve balance and composition. Shot with a 9 megapixel Panasonic point-and-shoot. I chose to use it instead of my DSLR because the area where the train is located is not the best area of town--a rather rough high crime area---at risk of more expensive equipment being stolen!!!! I might also ask, while I am here--Why do the screeners consider cloudy days so undesirable insofar as lighting is concerned? I personally like the softer lighting, since there are fewer shadows to deal with, and the light yields softer tones. I saw a photo in the database that I think is excellent(KUDOS to the photographer!!) http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...d=374564&seq=0. It appears that it was also taken under the same cloudy lighting conditions. What is the difference? I am anxious to learn what I did wrong. Thanks for all advice and suggestions!!

Last edited by amtrakboy; 09-11-2011 at 01:17 AM.
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy View Post
It appears that it was also taken under the same cloudy lighting conditions. What is the difference?
Yeah, same exact lighting. In fact, he should have been standing next to you. Take out the folks on the sidewalk and it's the same shot, with slight variations. Some aspects of your shot is better, some are not. The lighting does not entirely bother me, but it looks pretty drab. The colors need some pop. Also, take this for what it's worth as I'm not wearing my glasses, but I'm not sure your shot is in focus entirely.

If you want to discuss how to make your shot better, that's one thing, but your shot should get a Similiar to Previous rejection next time.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy View Post
I shot it at 9mm to take in the entire scene, yet knew at the time I could recrop to eliminate undesirable elements of the image if needed to improve balance and composition.
I was just commenting because I saw 9mm and F/4.3 and thought that's a pretty odd focal length and aperture.

Quote:
Shot with a 9 megapixel Panasonic point-and-shoot. I chose to use it instead of my DSLR because the area where the train is located is not the best area of town--a rather rough high crime area---at risk of more expensive equipment being stolen!
I figured it was a point and shoot of some kind. I can understand your not wanting to take your gear into the 'hood, but then again, the quality is gonna be lacking like it is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
but your shot should get a Similiar to Previous rejection next time.
Not to interject, but let me say this about your quote.

"Just like most all of the Larrys Truck and Electric shots"

I agree with your conclusion by the way on this shot.

Last edited by troy12n; 09-11-2011 at 02:50 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
stlgevo51
Senior Member
 
stlgevo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy View Post
Shot with a 9 megapixel Panasonic point-and-shoot. I chose to use it instead of my DSLR because the area where the train is located is not the best area of town--a rather rough high crime area---at risk of more expensive equipment being stolen!!!!
I disagree. The Amtrak station area isn't in a bad part of town. Like every city, downtown can sometimes have bad parts, but I wouldn't call that a bad spot. It isn't like, say, north or east STL , and I go there with DSLRs anyway:

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 373596
Photograph © Jake B.


I'm going to see the train tomorrow, so hopefully there will be some sun down there!
__________________
Jake
Railpictures Shots RP stuff.
Flickr Shots All the RP stuff plus some failed experiments, wedgies, and junk.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
It isn't like, say, north or east STL , and I go there with DSLRs anyway
There are a few places I would not take valuables, even crappy point and shoots, let alone my real gear:

(not in any order of relevance)
1. Certain parts of Atlanta (like Bankhead)
2. East St. Louis
3. Gary, IN
4. Pretty much anywhere in Detroit
5. Parts of the Southside of Chicago
6. Most the entire limits of the District of Columbia and most of PG County MD

I'm sure I could come up with others, these just came to mind first
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
6. Most the entire limits of the District of Columbia and most of PG County MD
Gratuitous exaggeration.
Image © Charles Freericks
PhotoID: 253947
Photograph © Charles Freericks


I should really check out this city a bit more, don't know why I don't.

Image © Luke Sharrett
PhotoID: 315966
Photograph © Luke Sharrett


I do wish admin would fix the DC problem. If you select "USA - District of Columbia" from the drop down, you miss a bunch of shots, including all the recent ones. There appears to be a disconnect between the upload choices and the home page search choices and they end up with separate values in the database.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

old film slr + ghetto = best bet
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
old film slr + ghetto = best bet
I'm guessing most people ho don't know cameras won't know the difference. And some people will just steal from you and if it's not something they can sell will throw it out. You still don't have it.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

yeah but its no big loss..."here, you can have it."
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,884
Default

I'd ask if I could keep my "crap 60D" and they can have the 400D. Afterall, it's 340D's better.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
WMHeilman
Senior Member
 
WMHeilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Napoleon, OH
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
There are a few places I would not take valuables, even crappy point and shoots, let alone my real gear:

(not in any order of relevance)
1. Certain parts of Atlanta (like Bankhead)
2. East St. Louis
3. Gary, IN
4. Pretty much anywhere in Detroit
5. Parts of the Southside of Chicago
6. Most the entire limits of the District of Columbia and most of PG County MD

I'm sure I could come up with others, these just came to mind first
Detroit isn't half as bad as everyone outside of Michigan/Ohio/Indiana seem to think.. in fact there's parts of Detroit that have good photo ops that are in decent neighborhoods, but some people are just scared of the stereotypes.

Explore a little more. Take some chances.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Detroit isn't half as bad as everyone outside of Michigan/Ohio/Indiana seem to think.. in fact there's parts of Detroit that have good photo ops that are in decent neighborhoods, but some people are just scared of the stereotypes.

Explore a little more. Take some chances.
I have not been there since the mid 80's and have no desire to ever see that again. It's the only place in the world where I have been where it seemed like you could drive down any street and either see a car or a house or something on fire. Based on some of the pictures of Detroit I have seen on the web in the past couple of years, it looks like not much has changed, except they have dozed some of those burned out houses
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
WMHeilman
Senior Member
 
WMHeilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Napoleon, OH
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I have not been there since the mid 80's and have no desire to ever see that again. It's the only place in the world where I have been where it seemed like you could drive down any street and either see a car or a house or something on fire. Based on some of the pictures of Detroit I have seen on the web in the past couple of years, it looks like not much has changed, except they have dozed some of those burned out houses
The internet (and social media for that matter) only shows you "the good stuff." There's plenty of good things in Detroit.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy View Post
...Here I have a photo rejected twice for "Horizon Unlevel." This latest rejection is after I leveled it by placing a leveling grid over it in my photo-editing software. I leveled it by the station building in the background.]
Unfortunately you picked the easiest part of the station structure to level, the extreme left...which made everything else unlevel.

I find that by picking a horizontal or vertical in the center of the photo and leveling off that, any bowing on the edges falls into place and looks natural.

I picked the rear handrail of the engineer's door on the first unit to level your shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St. Louis Level.jpg (337.2 KB, 85 views)
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #18
amtrakboy
Senior Member
 
amtrakboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 255
Default

Thanks for your help, Dennis! I never thought of the handrail, but it does make sense since it is in the center of the photo. The wide angle distortion can be misleading.
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb My Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
..............I picked the rear handrail of the engineer's door on the first unit to level your shot.
That works.

Usually with these short focal length shots, the best way to level the image is to pick an object that is closest to the lens and then level the shot off that item.

Here, the railing on the engineer's side of the cab works great since you can see it easily, and it contrasts better against the background than the black colored sides of the hood.

Now all you need to do is use the sunshine tool to get rid of the cloudy sky and your all done.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.