Old 02-21-2015, 03:54 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default In the game of Poker...

A link to FB and an SC always beats out one link to drehscheibe-online.de!

Helps when you have great photo, but it must have been close, as I'm not sure without the RP provided FB link Kevin would've nabbed Top of the Last 24 and it's well deserved audience.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 519818
Photograph © Kevin Madore

Referring Website [Show All 213 Referrers] No. of Hits
https://www.facebook.com/ 193
http://m.facebook.com 143
http://m.facebook.com/ 82
https://m.facebook.com 6
https://m.facebook.com/ 5

Image © Richard Behrbohm
PhotoID: 519837
Photograph © Richard Behrbohm

Referring Website [Show All 9 Referrers] No. of Hits
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for....php?4,7305122 581
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for....php?4,7305122 581
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...hp?106,7305089 360
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...305122,7305122 16
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...php?106,730508 [...] 4

Congrats Kevin!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Hmmmm... those kept mine out of the top 4...oh well.

But I'm glad I checked out "Drehscheibe"- some nice shots in the "Galerie" (especially "Abenddämmerung in Oberhof").

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 02-21-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Flowing

I've been seeing some awful strange referring websites on some of my older uploads. Here's a representation:

Referring Website [Show All 31 Referrers] No. of Hits
http://ordertrimethoprimwholesale.soup.io 1
http://rebetoltv.forumcircle.com 1
http://orderprilosec40mgforsale.soup.io 1
http://www.theknot.com/wedding/vermox-and-special 1
http://e3valacyclovir.over-blog.com

The list goes on with similar sites. I haven't visited any of these sites because they seem suspicious, or at the very least like advertisements. Anyone know how they got there?
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Linking is weak... Let your work stand on its own
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Hmmmm... those kept mine out of the top 4...oh well.
I guess you weren't a happy miningcamper, huh? That's a shame... sorry you lost an opportunity to have one of your more popular images get the views they were on track to get. Seeing not one, but two linked shots (from the same photographer, no less) keep your shot from being seen by a larger audience can be as frustrating as seeing one of your images get accepted in the same queue as a series of wreck shots -especially if it was one of your more impressive images that you hoped would get the views that come with front page exposure.

Fllowing... those are weird links. Some times links come from others, often in fact. Someone can post a link back to your shot to a site for a unique audience - narrow gauge shots in the Narrow Gauge forums, Amtrak stuff in a similar forum, even FB just because it's "a neat shot". Those links, however, are bizarre! I clicked on one and it took me to a site with an add for some kind of medicine.

Troy - Linking for views, I think is weak. but linking to share is not. And as I noted, some links are not done by the owner of the image. And to some (including RP.net, as well) receive a presumed monetary benefit that comes with more views - in a sense, linking (campaigning) has become part of the business plan. That's a shame, that's what detracts from what, in my opinion, RP use to be.

Easy fix - allow links, promote links, but don't count links in "most popular of last 24 hour" rankings. Or at all. Subtract them off from the total count. But to that end, I think quite a few patrons that post simply for inflated numbers or for the audience that the front page provides would lose interest and consequently, RP.net would lose those campaigned views which would reflect negatively on the numbers RP likely uses to sell advertising. Too bad.... Unless admin believed those lost campaigned views were not significant.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 02-22-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #6
RobJor

I don't even understand the whole linking FB thing so not sure what that is all about. Maybe someone will fill me in.

I looked as most popular tho, and was interested in seeing three photos of the same something under a covering. Only looked at one because I wondered????? Maybe a lot of Europe viewers?

I will have a photo monthly art show, I never expect an railroad photo to get more that HM but also assume with the public voting and judging it is not necessarily a level field but that is just a part of the deal.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I don't even understand the whole linking FB thing so not sure what that is all about. Maybe someone will fill me in.
Linking pictures from a page (or a dozen billion pages) on FB back to RP is done to increase your views. After all, that's the point of sharing, and linking means sharing with a bigger audience. But it seems there are folks here that post not for the fun of sharing, but rather, for the ego or perceived dollars and cents that come along with the extra publicity. Few link old pictures, however - instead, the frustration (for some that like a big audience based on the merit of the image alone) is with those that link a photo specifically to inflate views well past the views of others during the first 24 hours in order to get to the front page as soon as possible. Once locked in a slot on the front page, all other images are denied a shot at that larger audience. The limited spots on the front page are in effect earned not on the merit of the shot, but instead, the effort in the campaign. 'Course, that's not to say that all campaigned shots are bad, but there sure are a lot of great shots that are denied that opportunity when the quality would otherwise merit.

Quote:
I looked as most popular tho, and was interested in seeing three photos of the same something under a covering. Only looked at one because I wondered????? Maybe a lot of Europe viewers?
Yes, and more then typical (hundreds) thanks to the links. However, the links the photographer provided were not necessarily provided for any reason other then to share the photos and save the time of rewriting all the info and captions. It's just a shame when someone does this on multiple photos all uploaded simultaneously.

Quote:
I will have a photo monthly art show, I never expect an railroad photo to get more that HM but also assume with the public voting and judging it is not necessarily a level field but that is just a part of the deal.
"more that HM"?

The PC's attempt to level the field but no one knows just how many patrons are participating. Hence you have "the Note" winning a spot on the People's Choice. What's important, however, for the "judging" of images, is that they be seen. From what I understand, quite a few people only look at what's on the front page.

Then again, you may just be posting your pics simply to be seen by those more then happy to seek your images out - in which case, they don't need any thing more then to be accepted. I feel that way about a good percent of what I post - but those that I am really proud of, I'd prefer a chance at a front page audience. Who wouldn't?

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 02-22-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
miningcamper1

Quote:
What's important, however, for the "judging" of images, is that they be seen. From what I understand, quite a few people only look at what's on the front page.
Solution:
Redesign the front page so the viewer simply scrolls down to the daily upload thumbs rather than having to click on something. They could have the 90 thumb view right at the bottom of the front page.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 02-22-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: correction
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Linking pictures from a page (or a dozen billion pages) on FB back to RP is done to increase your views. After all, that's the point of sharing, and linking means sharing with a bigger audience. But it seems there are folks here that post not for the fun of sharing, but rather, for the ego or perceived dollars and cents that come along with the extra publicity. Few link old pictures, however - instead, the frustration (for some that like a big audience based on the merit of the image alone) is with those that link a photo specifically to inflate views well past the views of others during the first 24 hours in order to get to the front page as soon as possible. Once locked in a slot on the front page, all other images are denied a shot at that larger audience. The limited spots on the front page are in effect earned not on the merit of the shot, but instead, the effort in the campaign. 'Course, that's not to say that all campaigned shots are bad, but there sure are a lot of great shots that are denied that opportunity when the quality would otherwise merit.
I'm off the front page due to five photos of the wreck in Switzerland. Strangely enough, the five photos combined have only three more favorites than my photo.

Last edited by Decapod401; 02-22-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
coborn35

Who cares? Oh my god someone shared their picture with other people! Call the police!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Who cares? Oh my god someone shared their picture with other people! Call the police!
Reading comprehension not your strong suit? No one cares about those looking to share their pictures with other people - if you read the threads, or even faintly recall previous threads you'd be well aware of that. It's those that link to rig a system that was meant to highlight the most appealing images (vs best campaigned shots).

But no point in clarifying that to you. I'm sure you understand the merit of the debate but care less, or care only to jump in each instance and simply stay it stupid - maybe you can't comprehend the topic?

Or - maybe you've never posted a really great shot? I have tons of shots I post where I too could care less if they make the front page. Perhaps unlike you??? I have a few that I'm really proud of and I would like a larger audience, without the work of a campaign.

/Mitch
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Or - maybe you've never posted a really great shot? I have tons of shots I post where I too could care less if they make the front page. Perhaps unlike you???

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #13
Mgoldman

I'm not familiar with Coborn35's work. Maybe if his images made the front page more often that would be rectified. Then again, maybe if I knew who "Coborn35" was, that might help. All I know of "Coborn35" is that he can not resist retort to my mention of the links in discussions on the Forums. Well, they are discussions until he pops on and simply says the thread is stupid without acknowledging any points brought up nor offering up anything constructive.

And incidentally - I meant what I said regarding the lack of concern I had with photos I post of a generic nature not having a fair shot at a larger front page viewing audience. I have no expectation nor frustration when a good percent of my images get buried in the database. A sizable portion are uploaded for limited or targeted audiences (note my Amtrak shots - so popular on RP, or the steam tourist trains near ad nauseam from Steamtown and New Hope). They are there for the limited number of RP fans that enjoy them. Those images are posted for those that, like myself, have photographed near every perspective and angle and simply seek inspiration. But when you get a good one - that's the one you want shared MOST, without the effort of s self inflicted campaign to match or better the links of another image, often generic but linked to a billion Internet pages.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 02-23-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #14
coborn35

Excellent work with the sarcasm. So good at it too! Attack my portfolio all you want but my work stands for itself. I like it, couldn't care less that you don't. I think I am averaging a To24 every 10-20 shots so I am sure you've seen my work.
Maybe I skimmed to much in this particular thread but it seems like you are always the one posting threads like this. It gets old after awhile. Show me proof one person is linking photos simply to win the To24 contest or what have you. Is it fun getting To24? Sure, like a mini ego boost. I think there's certainly the expectation that when you post it somewhere it will bump views. The good news is that websites are available to everyone and you are just as able to share a photo as anyone else, fair or not that it may be necessary. Is it fair that the guy on Flickr gets EXPLORE for a crappy shot of a backlit diesel and gets 40,000 views? No, but that's how life works. For the record, I always view the pictures by newest added first. Get to view everything that way.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 AM   #15
bigbassloyd

I put a photo in the queue just now, and if it's accepted, I want everyone to share it.

It's a decent shot, I promise..

Max, I'm so happy to see the proper usage of the phrase "I couldn't care less". Anytime I hear it said "I could care less" I always tell them to do it then. Silence follows.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #16
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Excellent work with the sarcasm. So good at it too! Attack my portfolio all you want but my work stands for itself. I like it, couldn't care less that you don't. I think I am averaging a To24 every 10-20 shots so I am sure you've seen my work.
Maybe I skimmed to much in this particular thread but it seems like you are always the one posting threads like this. It gets old after awhile. Show me proof one person is linking photos simply to win the To24 contest or what have you. Is it fun getting To24? Sure, like a mini ego boost. I think there's certainly the expectation that when you post it somewhere it will bump views. The good news is that websites are available to everyone and you are just as able to share a photo as anyone else, fair or not that it may be necessary. Is it fair that the guy on Flickr gets EXPLORE for a crappy shot of a backlit diesel and gets 40,000 views? No, but that's how life works. For the record, I always view the pictures by newest added first. Get to view everything that way.
Max - yes, I can be quite sarcastic on the Forums - most know that, though it has to be asked for as I do not offer it blindly. I paused a few seconds before submitting that response - safe to say, I used the same judgement as you did in posting your initial reply.

You may have skimmed through the thread, but as you state, you've heard the debate in the past so your jumping back to simply say the issue is stupid while adding your own sarcasm earned the response you got.

I apologize for suggesting that "maybe you just never posted what you thought was a great photo" - though it was not meant as a direct attack on your portfolio as I did not know who you were nor recall your images until I got a PM matching you to your Forum handle.

I won't single anyone out, but there are definitely patrons on RP that link for reasons other then to share, or the convenience of not having to retype captions. Following their posts is worse then submitting after a wreck shot or a Darwin shot, or a special move. RP is suppose to be "fun", not a job... OK, now that I posted, first I'll go to TRAINS.com, then Railroad.net, then FB Railroad Photography, FB "The Real" Railroad Photographers Page, FB Creative Photography, Altamont Press, the "your state here" formums, ect...

FLICKR is another story - there is no "front page". No 24 hour promotional period. What ever you link adds to your views while not taking from others.

I too view - since last visit. I was very surprised to hear from many that say they only pop on here and there to RP and take note of what's on the front page, or recently uploaded.

/Mitch
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 AM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Max, I'm so happy to see the proper usage of the phrase "I couldn't care less". Anytime I hear it said "I could care less" I always tell them to do it then. Silence follows.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #18
Mgoldman

Wow - Facebook ain't got nothing on "drehscheibe-online.de"!

TOP SHOT of last 24

Image © Richard Behrbohm
PhotoID: 522226
Photograph © Richard Behrbohm

Referring Website No. of Hits
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for....php?4,7325888 504
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...325888,7325888 18
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...325888,7326161 4
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...325888,7325943 2
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/posting.php?4 1

That's a "good hand"!

Sorry, guys:

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 522206
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

Image © Michael Sullivan
PhotoID: 522177
Photograph © Michael Sullivan

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 522203
Photograph © Doug Lilly

Image © Chris Kilroy
PhotoID: 522173
Photograph © Chris Kilroy

I take that back, lol:
http://www.facebook.com/ 552

Image © Chris Kilroy
PhotoID: 522163
Photograph © Chris Kilroy

Nice to have you back posting - welcome to the front page. Very nice shot, too!

/Mitch
Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #19
SFO777

That drehscheibe site has some abso amazing pics...like way better than any of those pics you posted here. I don't understand it. How can there be another level? These are like John West-level pics.

DEmon train:

Megasteam train

Last edited by SFO777; 03-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #20
Mgoldman

How the heck did this shot get linked to Jetphotos.net??

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 522800
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

/Mitch
Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 522800
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

/Mitch
Official statement from Loyd P. Lowry Enterprises DBA as Loyd P. Lowry, Photographer.

I uploaded the photo and went to bed. I am innocent of any linking.

Signed,

Loyd L.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #22
Noct Foamer

Quote:

[/Mitch
Is this one of those trains that is pulling a bunch of 737 jet fuselages to Seattle, maybe?

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Is this one of those trains that is pulling a bunch of 737 jet fuselages to Seattle, maybe?

Kent in SD
Or 6 empty soy cars to Clifton Forge, Va.

Loyd L.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #24
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
That drehscheibe site has some abso amazing pics...like way better than any of those pics you posted here. I don't understand it. How can there be another level? These are like John West-level pics.

DEmon train:

Megasteam train

See what you can miss when you have pinhead "rules" against "backlighting?!" LOL
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote