Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default Gallery: Alternative SCs

I happened to look at the latest Danneman SC and thinking to myself, no big deal! To my surprise, a quick search suggests that view has never appeared on RP before. Still, while it is a pretty enough shot, it does seem like a dime a dozen out-west curves shot to me, summer mid day light on the harsh side.

I don't begrudge the SC; those are a matter of taste and it isn't my site. But looking at it made me think - what do I want to see in an SC. Well, I decided to start a thread to feature shots that we think should be SCs. Some might be ones the screeners just missed or had a brain hiccup or something. Others might be those that, judging from experience, the current screeners would pretty much never choose because those shots don't fit within their preferences. I am more interested in the latter. I'll start by showing one of the latter.

Image © Michael Da Costa
PhotoID: 457547
Photograph © Michael Da Costa

Frost, color, nicely blurred caboose, interesting side light, solid composition. I really like it. I would have screened it as an SC.

But that is just me. How about you?

(I suppose this might end up as a variant on the recent "going unnoticed" thread. But that is more a matter of missed views/comments, this is maybe a little different. Maybe not.

And I'm not looking to beat up on the screeners. Tastes vary. This is more about potential SCs that simply didn't fit the SC mold. Not screener mistakes but rather what a different set of screeners might choose.)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Mgoldman

I'd like to see something like an SC based not on the personal tastes and preferences /biases of 5 screeners, but instead based on universal merit. Such criteria would be hard to define but the parameters would certainly be inclusive of luck, challenge and creativity. In a nut shell, universally appealing shots that would be very difficult to duplicate or are the first of thier kind.

Since the EC is not being used, it could be that, or perhaps in addtion to that with a name change.

Janusz - I'm affraid your well intentioned thread will show just why SC's are what they are as you'll likely find everything under the sun from roster shots to wrecks being apt for SC selection. Take note of Jean-Marc's latest shot - one commentor of this rather generic, though impressive roster wedge shot suggests it's potential for a PC.

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 468330
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

I had similar feelings on the shot. The tree on the left looks oddly cut off, the shadow middle right bothers me. And there's nothing special about the shot. It's a shot anyone could take, any day of the week. I don't know anything about this location, maybe it's hard to get to, or on private property? That might make it a challenge, but regardless, a rather normal looking shot. Are they rewarding hiking skills or supterfuge or the photo's merit? Maybe they feel the need to reward them so they stick around?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
CSX1702

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 02-02-2014 at 12:31 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
JRMDC

Derek, I was hoping for more "alternate paradigm" stuff, as opposed to missed stuff which I think your tread is about. And I did mention your thread by name here.

Mitch, "universally appealing" can quickly drift into mainstream and also into conventional. Wedgies are universally appealing. I am OK with the screeners having a little fun; choosing SCs is one of the perks of their efforts. I just wish they had a broader perspective, and used the SC to encourage a greater range here.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Mitch, "universally appealing" can quickly drift into mainstream and also into conventional.
You overlooked key parts of my suggestion above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...luck, challenge and creativity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...universally appealing shots that would be very difficult to duplicate or are the first of their kind.
/Mitch
Think POTW /PC type images. I think we can agree they generally have universal appeal. Just because those may not have charmed a particular screener, several, but not all, (including PC's #5, 6, 7 ect) fit the description I am trying to describe.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 02-02-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
CSX1702

Quote:
Derek, I was hoping for more "alternate paradigm" stuff, as opposed to missed stuff which I think your tread is about. And I did mention your thread by name here.
Gotcha. And I didn't even notice that the first time I read through it. Lol.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Moffat Road

I just wanted add a couple of corrections to some statements in this thread about the recent SC photograph.

Janusz: The photo is not a midday image. It was photographed at 4:54 p.m.

Troy: You cannot take this photo anytime of the week. It is best on the longest days of the year, late in the afternoon, but not too late that the shadows from mountain behind start crossing the ROW, and in clear atmospheric conditions. AND you have to have a train at the right time. You do have to hike in, and it is from public open space. I guess it’s okay, Troy, if you feel, “there's nothing special about the shot.” Everyone has different tastes and this is what makes the world go ’round!

Honestly, I’m not trying to defend the quality of the photo, or do I want to get into if it deserves a SC or not. As Janusz said, It’s “a matter of taste and it isn't my site.” I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions… Thanks!

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Troy: You cannot take this photo anytime of the week. It is best on the longest days of the year, late in the afternoon, but not too late that the shadows from mountain behind start crossing the ROW, and in clear atmospheric conditions. AND you have to have a train at the right time. You do have to hike in, and it is from public open space. I guess it’s okay, Troy, if you feel, “there's nothing special about the shot.” Everyone has different tastes and this is what makes the world go ’round!
Wow. Mike, it is clear you do your research on every shot you take. I couldn't bring myself to say I didn't like one of your photos. Lol.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
sd9

Quote:
I just wanted add a couple of corrections to some statements in this thread about the recent SC photograph.

Honestly, I’m not trying to defend the quality of the photo, or do I want to get into if it deserves a SC or not. As Janusz said, It’s “a matter of taste and it isn't my site.” I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions… Thanks!

Mike Danneman

OK I'm confused, Mike, why are you posting a message under Carl Massart profile? just curious
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
OK I'm confused, Mike, why are you posting a message under Carl Massart profile? just curious
I guess I’m confused as well, since it doesn’t show me using another profile on this end. It says it’s posted by “Moffat Road.” Anything I should be looking for?

Mike Danneman
Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
MassArt Images

Quote:

Mike Danneman
Mike, you forgot to mention that it helps to live nearby such photogenic locations..

Go BRONCOS!!

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE

Last edited by MassArt Images; 02-02-2014 at 02:53 AM.
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
sd9

Quote:
I guess I’m confused as well, since it doesn’t show me using another profile on this end. It says it’s posted by “Moffat Road.” Anything I should be looking for?

Mike Danneman
Ok I see what I did, I was in the profile section and must of clicked on visitor messages and that took me to a another profile
Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #14
sd9

Quote:

Image © Michael Da Costa
PhotoID: 457547
Photograph © Michael Da Costa

Frost, color, nicely blurred caboose, interesting side light, solid composition. I really like it. I would have screened it as an SC.

But that is just me. How about you?

This reminded me of your RailPixCritic blog when you compared the brake wheels,
Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 397479
Photograph © Bill Grenchik
Old 02-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #15
JRMDC

Nya ha! A pattern!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #16
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Mike, you forgot to mention that it helps to nearby such photogenic locations..

Go BRONCOS!!

Another thing I forgot to mention is how little time per year the landscape around Big 10 Curve is green—similar conditions here as to what happens on Tehachapi.

Mike Danneman
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #17
bigbassloyd

Anytime I see a photo from Big 10 I think "If only the loops at Claypool, WV on the old NF&G weren't treed in"...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #18
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Anytime I see a photo from Big 10 I think "If only the loops at Claypool, WV on the old NF&G weren't treed in"...

Loyd L.

/Mitch
Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:

Having been to the BTC several times (but not this particular spot), I can appreciate the location and what it took for you to get there, the green and the flowers, as well as the PERFECT sun angle (J needs his monitor checked for "harshness" issues. ). I may have included a little more of the tree on the left, but we all have our own visions as to what looks the best.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #20
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
It's not a bad shot at all. In fact it's a very good shot. You have few if any "bad" shots, that goes without saying. But just in my opinion I am not sure it is exception to the point of being a SC. I think that was what I was getting to.

As to "can be taken any day", I dont know the area, I will defer to someone who has been there done that.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #21
JRMDC

Upon further review, Jim T, I will agree that the sun is fine. Was fooled by the shadows on some of the cars and by the general dryness of the desert. Still doesn't hit my personal SC level, but I did happen to notice just now that I still haven't been designated a screener.

At any rate, I regret having even mentioned the Danneman shot since it had little to do with my theme and could have been omitted - it was mentioned because it was part of my chain of thought while online. As a result the thread headed off in a different direction than I would have liked, but then that is the internet sometimes.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #22
Mgoldman

Quote:
At any rate, I regret having even mentioned the Danneman shot since it had little to do with my theme...
Interesting. Usually these threads don't go off track until the second or third response, lol.

/Mitch
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

danneman shot is good. all tree and it would be a photo of a tree. no tree and photo would lack depth.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #24
stlgevo51

The question should not have been why the Big 10 Curve shot was an SC, but why the following shot was not an SC.
Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 467854
Photograph © Mike Danneman

This shot will obviously get a PCA, but how did the screeners not click the "Screener's Choice" box when accepting this? This is one of the best fall shots I've seen in a long time.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

You know Ron, I would answer the yak question, but you failed to specify whether the yak, or yaks in question are Mongolian or Tibetan as there is a difference in their gestation periods.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote