Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
coborn35

Default Top 10 of '12

I am surprised no one has started this yet! With it being that time of year to reflect on what we have shot.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 418141
Photograph © Max Medlin

In 2003 (IIRC) the last train ran down the Barron Subdivison in Wisconsin. It was a former Soo Line and then Wisconsin Central branchline. In 2012 Superior Silica entered an agreement with the Canadian National (WC) to ship millions and millions of tons of frac sand from a plant in Poskin. This meant the CN needed to rehab a good 40 miles of track, at a cost of 43 million dollars. Brand new welded rail, fresh ballast, and 6 months later the the line was open in much better shape than it had ever seen before. Owing to all the crossings ripped out by the CN, and the public outcry, they decided to run their Santa Train up to appease the masses. Two of my long time friends were selected for the 3 day job and the train is seen here posing just before departure as the sun popped out at Barron.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 413965
Photograph © Max Medlin

In late October fellow RPer Steven McKay was headed my way for a visit and we decided to do a private night photo shoot on the railroad I manage. We grabbed the two Missabe engines and put them in position. It was really nice having just two guys, besides all the work, because we knew what we wanted and were able to set it up without any interference. Anyone that knows me knows that I hate those stupid cliche posed photo shoot shots of a guy with a lantern in front of the engine staring blankly into space, or the guy cleaning the headlight with a Carhartt on or something that looks just out of whack. Case in point would be this photo:
Image © Shawn Christie
PhotoID: 379311
Photograph © Shawn Christie
Literally awful pose. What I was trying to accomplish with this photo was something that could pass the quick look over test of being the Missabe in the late 1980's. We tried to make it as authentic as we could, flannel and overalls, Missabe hardhat, authentic safety glasses from the era. I was going for a glazed over look conductors so often get when told bad news, and since we had both engines wanted to have one in the background, as engines side by side in Two Harbors was not an uncommon thing. There are a few things I would have done better but overall I really like how it turned out.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 397341
Photograph © Max Medlin

This train is the widest load ever handled out of the Twin Ports and was fascinating to watch.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 410139
Photograph © Max Medlin

With the Missabe being my favorite railroad it is definitely cool to still see maroon operating 8 years after the CN takeover.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 408090
Photograph © Max Medlin

One of the best chases of the year, and my girlfriends first. Chased this thing all over MN with great sun, a happy crew and nice looking engine!

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 390047
Photograph © Max Medlin

This ended up being one of the only E-Rails (they go to Escanaba, MI) of the year and I have always loved the sag at Rockmont. This was the first shot I have of the sag with glass long enough to show it!

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 419033
Photograph © Max Medlin

I was lucky enough to be able to shoot the WSOR roundhouse at Janesville this year, and even more luckily the WSOR #101 was inside, which is unusual, and there was an open stall next to it allowing a nice broadside. I will keep my thoughts off of a public forum, but with WSOR having new owners I am unsure how long the E unit or chances to get shots like this will last, so I am very thankful I got the opportunity.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 387345
Photograph © Max Medlin

Another place I was able to tour is Amtrak's Beech Grove Shops. The 10+ building complex is just massive. I really liked this view of a Superliner just suspended in the air.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 388876
Photograph © Max Medlin

I have always said that my railroad is more short-line than tourist, what with our 28 miles of track, heavy winter freight operations, and frequent moves into CN and BNSF yards for various movements and trains. Being in management doesn't give me a whole lot of time (or drive) to shoot stuff I see everyday but I do like to showcase our line when I can. Here is a little shot spot off of I35 showing our two Missabe horses holding coal empties back as they head for the BNSF.

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 417415
Photograph © Max Medlin

Finally, essence of the Missabe.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Here's my personal top 10 of photos I put on here.

As I say goodbye to my two home signals, I captured the best photos of them in 2012.
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 390222
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 400400
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

I found an interesting new photo opportunity deep in Great Bend Tunnel:
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 385886
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

And took several trips away from home territory to mark shots off the "to do list":
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 405347
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 391919
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 406719
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 390004
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 406597
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 401701
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 412133
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
jnohallman

I've only got 16 shots to choose from, but then again, that's the most I've put on RP in one year. So, does Top 10 mean the 10 with the most views, or my 10 favorites? I guess it'll have to be a bit of each.

My two most successful photos of the year in terms of views were largely the result of happenstance. I was in Roanoke with my family on the way back from "Foamfest" in Spencer, and we were about to head out of town when I decided to drive along the tracks a bit to see what was going on. It just so happened that the Virginia Museum of Transportation and NS were in the process of shuffling some equipment, which allowed me to catch a couple pics that seem to have interested people some. (They also gave me my first ever To24s).

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402890
Photograph © Jonathan Hallman

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402716

Third in number of views for me was a shot that originally got rejected for foreground clutter, and was accepted on appeal. Others have shot the location before as well, but I was pleased with the result I got. The view is taken from the Great Shiplock Park in Richmond.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 391125

Fourth in views was a shot from "Foamfest" - but not a shot of one or more of the NS heritage units. The AMTRAK I grew up with was the AMTRAK of the F40PH, so I was happy to get a decent shot of this end of the 40th anniversary train.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 402731

Now that we reach number five in terms of views, we start to get into my personal favorites as far as the photos are concerned. I grew up little more than an hour away from Strasburg, and may have ridden the trains at Strasburg more even than I've ridden Amtrak. I liked the lighting and the juxtaposition of power in this photo.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 404484

I don't get to shoot nearly as much steam as I would like. Living in Virginia doesn't help - the state barely has a tourist railroad (theoretically, there's one on the Eastern Shore, but they're trying to sell their passenger equipment). However, the NS 21st Century Steam program gave me the opportunity to ride as well as to shoot some steam power in VA. This shot came after the trip from Winston-Salem to Roanoke.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 401926

Yes, I was at "Foamfest" in Spencer along with hoards of others, and yes I shot all of the NS Heritage units. But I've only got one shot from that collection of stuff on RP.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 407089

Another shot from Strasburg didn't pull in huge views, but I liked the lighting, and I've always been a fan of the SRC's classic Baldwin decapod.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 411802

I was also very pleased with the results of this shot from "The Center of the Universe" even if it didn't draw lots of RP attention.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 400409

Finally, my favorite shot of the year came from my first trip to the Potomac Eagle (or South Branch Valley Railroad, if you prefer), where after a pleasant ride I was able to capture this image. It just so happens that the "young railfan" in the caption is my own little boy.

Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 410025

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
WMHeilman

Where to begin?! 2012 was a fun year for me. Without any real stories or explanation, here are my ten favorites from '12.

Image © Redhawk - Wyatt Heilman
PhotoID: 395470
Photograph © Redhawk - Wyatt Heilman

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 412046
Photograph © Wyatt M. Heilman

PhotoID: 393956

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 399097

PhotoID: 394465

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 406217

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 406329

PhotoID: 396930

Image © Wyatt M. Heilman
PhotoID: 399599

PhotoID: 394466
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

It has been a fun year for me. It was a tough pick, but here are my 10:

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 404322
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 399285

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 397779

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 399687

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 399978

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 401363

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 406107

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 413466

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 413473

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 404323

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
DWHonan

I posted far less than I shot, but here are my favorites that made it onto RP...

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 392615
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 396846
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 398582
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 403206
Photograph © David Honan

The woman I would marry in September (and her horses):
Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 398321
Photograph © David Honan

Our honeymoon in Ireland and Scotland created memories that will last a lifetime:
Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 419037
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 412798
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 413645
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 413433
Photograph © David Honan

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 414355
Photograph © David Honan
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Kyle Korienek

2012 will be the year that I got my first photo accepted on Railpictures, so that was kind of cool for me. I know one thing: I have a long way to go in my growth as a photographer, which motivates me to continue.

This photo was a winner of the People's Choice, my most successful photo here and my favorite of these.
Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 411195
Photograph © Kyle Korienek

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 411598

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 403311

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 402065

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 417279

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 404464

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 410335

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 407092

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 416439

Image © Kyle Korienek
PhotoID: 408834

I hope 2013 is even better...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
jdirelan87

Since graduating college three years ago (wow!), the time I've spent railfanning has really nosedived. Its gotten so bad, I actually went out more in my last year of school in Pittsburgh than I have my entire time in California. Of course, I've also been deployed or away training for 20 of the last 42 months, so that doesn't help either.

I tried to make a serious effort to make it out more, or at least check off alot spots on my list that I've been meaning to go to. I didn't do so hot on the going out more, only had 15 days of railfanning this year. But, on the plus side, I did see a fair amount of new territory. I'm really gonna dial it up and try to get back to 30-40 railfanning days this year. Once you get your fill of the hot spots down here (Cajon, Tehachapi), the options are few and (very literally) far between. Looks like 2013 will be a bad year for keeping miles off the car.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 416304
Photograph © John Ireland

Angle I've been meaning to get for a bit.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 416166

Afton Canyon had been on the 'to do' list for a long time, I finally made it there. Didn't exactly crush it, but got a few good shots. I really want to go back, but if I don't, at least I have something to show for my efforts.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 414727

Not a great shot, but this location is pretty cool; its the lowest point on the US rail system. The spot is easy to get to, its just taken me three years to pony up and make the six hour round trip to get to it.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 406702

Again, not a great picture but an awesome life experience. The stars aligned and I was able to 1) leave my deployment a bit early, 2) get routed via Tokyo out of Cambodia and 3) have a long enough layover to check out Tokyo and ride the bullet train a bit. Highly recommend checking it out if you get a chance!

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 396197

My most "acclaimed" shot this year, unfortunately I associate alot of bad stuff with it. This was about a week before deploying (bad enough) and about two days before breaking up with my at the time girlfriend because of said deployment. To make matters worse, I tripped and ripped my finger open while climbing down from this spot, then promptly got my car stuck in the soft sand trying to shift with my banged up hand wrapped in my tee shirt. After waiting hours for a tow truck, I made to the Barstow Hospital around midnight to get seven stitches in my index finger.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 396052

My first crack at green Tehachapi. Can't wait for that magic month again this go around, I doubt I'll go back any other time of year now. This time I'll do it right and over night a weekend or two.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 392602

I've gotten somewhat burned out of Cajon, but I was proud with myself for finding (aka, stealing off RP) this unusually shot of the heavily photographed pass.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 390907

Nice shot of the new local power I've been meaning to get. San Diego is pretty dead when it comes to railroad photography, so I've largely overlooked it the last couple years. Did a somewhat better job of that in '12.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 390537

This was a great place I finally got around to checking out. I was able to pitch it as a hike to some non-railfanning friends, so it turned out to be an awesome 'male bonding' day. If you like hiking, I highly recommend checking Goat Canyon out. Its about a 16 miles round trip hike along the tracks, 8-10 pretty strenuous miles if you go over the back of the mountain.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 387123

Not a hard shot to get at all, but one I've been meaning to snag. Normally if I'm in Barstow, I'm just passing through on the way to somewhere else or getting a room for the night. I spent a day poking around town and it was really worth it. Great railroad vibe, second only to Altoona.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 12-31-2012 at 05:38 PM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Mr. Pick

I didn't even know there was a "Top of the Past 24" until I got an email earlier this year telling me I had one. Of the few pictures I posted this year, four were apparently posted on really slow days and made the TofPast24. In order of appearance:

The north portal of the Cowan, TN tunnel:

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 407062
Photograph © Mr. Pick

A prison work detail landscaping on the grounds of the Cowan Railroad Museum. This was my personal favorite this year:

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 408916
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Until the foamer bug bit last year, I rarely ever took train pictures, but here's one I found from the "blizzard" of 1985. Taken on Kodachrome 64 with a Nikon FG.

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 416822
Photograph © Mr. Pick

And my 4th Top of Past 24 was a picture I posted on a whim of a ditch cleaner.

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 417224
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Other favorites of mine this year:

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 416920
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 415306
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 406981
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 390840
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 391415
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Image © Mr. Pick
PhotoID: 414822
Photograph © Mr. Pick

Great year! I learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn!

Last edited by Mr. Pick; 12-31-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
railfanzone

A good portion of what I ended up adding here was taken prior to 2012, so I'll limit my selections to what I actually took in '12 - and I think you'll notice an underlying theme. And because I'm lazy, they're in order from newest upload to oldest.

My tribute to Richard Steinheimer's Christmas Tree shot
Image © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com
PhotoID: 418774
Photograph © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com

Probably my favorite reflection shot of all time, never mind night shot (and thanks for the PCA votes!)
PhotoID: 418137

An experiment that in some ways worked very well, and in others failed miserably. But I still like it...
PhotoID: 415340

A little juxtaposition in the subject matter - an ethanol train passing by a liquor store
PhotoID: 414850

One of those "in between shots" shots during a staged night shoot on the Grafton & Upton Railroad
PhotoID: 412103

A people shot from the Lerro Productions Valley Railroad Photo Charter and night shoot
PhotoID: 398698

A zoom pan from the second day of the Lerro Productions Valley Railroad Photo Charter
PhotoID: 398687

Rails make nice leading lines
PhotoID: 390440

And my last two picks prove that you don't have to have the sun at your back (nor see underframe/truck details) to take a good railroad photo.

First is a shot of a joint NECR, P&W and CN office car special along the French River in Thompson, CT
PhotoID: 389003

And a northbound Providence & Worcester freight along Clayville Pond in Griswold, CT
PhotoID: 387020

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Thanks
Tom

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

A few years ago I did az year byyear analysis of my RP contributions and now I can't seem to find it. If we put my ten years being a RP member on a list, 2012 would not be one of my best. True, I got 81 images (taken in 2012) accepted, but they were in hindsight by and large quanity shots, not quality. Money and medical issues kept me close to home. All of my shots were taken in the Carolinas. A few highlights for me was finally shooting the Air Force train down in Sumter.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This is moy most viewed shot of teh year which tells you a lot about my year.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I liked this next shot for a couple of reasons. 1.) It's the circus train. 2.) I like this location here in Columbia, but it's hard to get a train here in good light. 3.) It's a Norfolk Southern with CSX power. 4.) And I was very lucky to catch it. I was working on my old TV job then and I had somewhere to be, but I decided to test my luck and at least see if I could see the train. Only thing is if they were heading out in typical fashion, the train would have been backlit. So I was very surprised to see they were shoving the train around the wye and doing it slow enough to let me navigate traffic and get this shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I always love shooting off the bridge in Cayce that overlooks CMC Steel especially on those two or three times a month they use the Alco RS-1.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And I managed to catch the NS transfer to CSX from nearly the same spot on a day they weren't using a GE wide nose but were using three old Southern high hoods!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I still find it fun to chronicle my hometown railroad even with all of the changes they have gone through. This was the first time I caught an L&C train with no blue engines.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I like shhoting shortlines and branch lines and this was the first time I had shot this line in six years.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

More branch lineage.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And my first acceted pan. Next time I want to slow it down and get more blur. But I was pleased with it and feel I really lucky up with the placement of the cars and the road down below.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And, of course, my favorite from Foam Fest.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

This is an easy one for me. I've only been out for a chase once this year with exception to a few happenstance sightings which weren't RP worthy execpt for the last WNYP photo and a special project in which my list starts with.

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 393357
Photograph © Kevin Ashbaugh

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394100

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394111

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394125

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394177

Sold a one-time useage of this one to a Facebook page for their cover photo. Not sure why they chose to cut the loco out, but hey $25 is $25:
https://www.facebook.com/exploreVenango?ref=ts&fref=ts
Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394196

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 394263

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 400809
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

This year has been a terrible year for me, with railfanning being in the back of my mind due to the plethora of personal issues. I don't even have 10 taken from this year to post.

My first accepted night shot. Granted, it was the only one I attempted (of a train) in my 4 years of posting here. It was also my first, and the only NS heritage engine I would see all year.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 402842
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

My favorite from the CSX Santa Train.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 415319

Crowds are cool, as long as I am not in them. Also the most views I've gotten this year.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 415133

What I thought was a throw away shot, until I processed it.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 416756

Well past the peak of fall color, but the trees were still holding on to some.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 415326

Just happened to be out Christmas shopping and turned the scanner on.. I nearly got cloud screwed..

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 418615

First decent shot of the CSX local since 2008, with a recently painted GP38-2

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 418500

My last shot of the year, also my second night shot on RP.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 418803

And of course the one that I love, that RP didn't.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94434215_o.jpg

Last edited by Watain; 12-31-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
kszok

It's been great reading the various descriptions and viewing the images that accompany them.

RP only accepted 13 of my images this year. Lots of rejects this year, and I have been busier covering my daughters swim team, which allows me less time to get out track-side. What I have to share are my favorites from what RP allowed into the data base in 2012, but not necessarily my favorites from 2012.

In the order of being added to RP:

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 389443
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 394356
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 395865
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 401422
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 403957
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 417266
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 418727
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 419111
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 419173
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 419509
Photograph © Ken Szok

Railpictures

Last edited by kszok; 12-31-2012 at 05:18 PM.
kszok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Flowing

In no particular order...

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 414647
Photograph © John Higginson

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 392552

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 410028

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 409053

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 392733

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 390801

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 410030

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 404157

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 392093

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 394546
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Bob Pickering

Good day and Happy New Year!!!

Myself and Maryann had all sorts of railfan adventures in 2012. Some planned some were not.

So with that said, here are my top 10 based on views from least to most:

Number 10
FEC 714 leading a special in New Smyrna Beach.
Image © Bob Pickering (BP)
PhotoID: 395210
Photograph © Bob Pickering (BP)

Number 9
FEC's Toy's for Tots special looms through the fog in St. Augustine.
PhotoID: 417238

Number 8
Amtrak's annual Safety Patrol Special slides through Sanford. Kinda surprised me this is a highly viewed picture, but there it is.
PhotoID: 387249

Number 7
A trip to Bone Valley was way overdue and one of things I wanted to catch was CSX crossing the diamond in the grade crossing. And we did.
PhotoID: 389704

Number 6
A trip to California for Maryann to see her daughter's family revealed all sorts of railfanning opportunities along the southern California coast. Here Maryann after getting her pictures waves at the crew of the Coaster and whenever she is in my viewfinder for some reason, the hits go up.
PhotoID: 403837

Number 5
FEC 714 was in my camera again, this time at the famous bridge in St. Augustine.
PhotoID: 387507

Number 4
This was San Clemente California one of my most favorite places to watch trains.
PhotoID: 404454

Number 3
Another lucky catch, after dropping off Maryann at the airport for her job training in Vegas I railfanned the A line in Orlando and caught a rock train passing Auto Train in Sanford.
PhotoID: 392559

Number 2
This was actually taken Dec 31st of 2011 but I included it as it was posted right at the end of the old year and start of the new. We had found out 156 was leading 91 we had planned to go to Seville but clouds chased us south. We got him at Deland but decided chase south to Orlando. Here Maryann is seen waving at Matt and crew on 91 in Orlando.
PhotoID: 385480

Number 1,
This was last March we went over to Seville to catch Auto Train and 91 which we do sometimes and this ground fog had just set up but was low enough to allow the sun into teh scene. To our surprise the sun had lit the scene up just right as train time approached. As 53 came into view this pick up truck was pacing the train a bit ahead of it. I was worried that it would get in the way, but fortunately 79 mph won out and 53 overtook the truck at the right time. This is my highest viewed shot of 2012.
PhotoID: 392392

Now the "catch of the year" for me goes to that one catch that will likely never be repeated that was so luck to be there to catch.

The FEC 2000 had long been in storage and then in ill repair and then doomed to work yards. It was not supposed to be leading any trains. It was not supposed to be on the mainline leading a freight. It was not supposed to get into St. Augustine before daylight either. But the train gods decreed that it lead 224 this morning that I just happened to be off work and just happened to get up early and get on line to discover it was leading. And it just happened to have mechanical problems delaying the arrival until after sunrise.... This makes this shot the catch of the year.
PhotoID: 410577

Now my partner Maryann Norvik has taken it upon herself to join the ranks of rp.net and threw herself into the hobby after a lifelong love of trains. Maryann always always is my railfan partner on all our travels.

Here are her shots top 10

Number 10
One of her favorite places to watch trains is Del Mar Ca.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 406882
Photograph © MaryAnn Norvik

Number 9
San Clemente California
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 405293

Number 8
Her first Heritage unit
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 394027

Number 7
FEC 101 near home.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 390567

Number 6
Del Mar Ca.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 407251

Number 5
A trip to San Diego allowed her to catch some BNSF action as well
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 407349

Number 4
She also caught 714 in New Smyrna Beach
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 396433

Number 3
Maryann had job training at Las Vegas allowed her to catch some UP stuff.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 398468

Number 2
Her first shot ever accepted in the database was a rare catch standard cabs on NS.
Image © MaryAnn
PhotoID: 389420
Photograph © MaryAnn

Number 1
This is her top shot and one of her favorites Metrolink in San Clemente.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 406759

We both agree on the 2000 being the catch of the year....And her view of the 2000.
Image © MaryAnn Norvik
PhotoID: 410618

Last edited by Bob Pickering; 01-01-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
JRMDC

Like Jon, I don't have many uploads this year, also 16 (one shot in a prior year). I did my hopefully customary outing to Hancock WV in the snow, getting a favorite shot (and favorite caption for sure):
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 387848
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

And a new angle, previously blocked by WB tower, although I really should have taken a shot from on this spot years before with the tower, what was I thinking?
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 387738

I tried out a new destination, the marinas at Neabsco Creek, VA, and tried some night/dawn train photography for the first time, for the most part, with my own take on light streaks (which I often don't care for at all):
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 385873

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 386536

Hmm, I see the dawn shot was taken just before New Years so wrong year, but I think of that group of outings in Dec-Jan as a set.

Then, I started spending time on the CSX Capital Sub, not that far from me but I have rarely gone over there:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 414731

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 400283

The latter is also a summer solstice shot from the north side; another such shot is
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 403215

My first reflection shot on RP, I think; not much viewed and I think it was one of those cases where it looks a lot better in person than on film, here the color range seems to be dull:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 411378

Finally, just a cool shot, the sort of thing I enjoy finding:
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 414271

and... my last upload of the year (of a non-2012 shot, don't recall why I didn't upload it with the rest from that day), in which I decided to do a last minute e-holiday card on the 23rd, and then decided to upload to RP regardless of views just because I felt like doing it at that moment. So of course no one viewed it (cm'on guys!!!):
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 418631

Overall, few outings, but I was frequently trying new stuff in one way or another, so rewarding other than quantity.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-31-2012 at 09:06 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
chench1536

Since I've been in college, my ability to get out and shoot consistently has been, how you say...limited. I did happen to get 12 shots on this year, much attributed to my month long trip to the Pacific Northwest (Portland and Seattle). Even then, I did lot more documenting than actual rail photography. Anyway, here are my 10 best from 2012 on RP:

A snow squall in Marion produced some interesting material.
Image © Chris Henchey (The Hench)
PhotoID: 388685
Photograph © Chris Henchey (The Hench)

PhotoID: 388868

PhotoID: 388689

My first shot of MBTA's MP36 units.
PhotoID: 398803

A unique view of the MBTA subway system.
PhotoID: 400329

A different view of Steel Bridge in Portland.
PhotoID: 410004

A look down the 5th Avenue Transit Mall.
PhotoID: 408358

Probably my favorite shot from this year.
PhotoID: 409772

A rare sunny day in Seattle!
PhotoID: 409055

My new favorite vantage point in Boston, and a rare doubleheader.
PhotoID: 416467

We'll see if I can become any more consistent in 2013.
chench1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Here is my top 10 for the year.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Oh I guess I'll bite :

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 395769
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 387104
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 393592
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 400497
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 397136
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 406865
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 392747
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 412043
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 411606
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 396913
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Ben Sutton
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #21
mark woody

My top 10 from most to least views.

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 398213
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 415953
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 390121
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 394324
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 394328
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 394910
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 410772
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 407896
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 389255
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 401145
Photograph © mark woody

My favorites of 2012

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 407286
Photograph © mark woody

Image © mark woody
PhotoID: 407367
Photograph © mark woody
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #22
loomus78

A long October night at the Boyce, VA N&W Station which celebrates its 100th birthday in 2013 produced this scene as northbound 12R approaches.
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 413337
Photograph © Jon Wright

Taken in August after exploring some different angles at Harpers Ferry, WV
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 405337
Photograph © Jon Wright

Mance, PA in mid March and it was 75 degrees! I'm sure it was hotter in the cab as Q375 treks slowly up the hill after a traction motor blew and no pushers helping.
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 392649
Photograph © Jon Wright

This one has been on my bucket list for quite some time. Glad I could finally cross it off.
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 410231
Photograph © Jon Wright

Had an opportunity to get some night shots of the GCK/WM engines in Cumberland
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 400449
Photograph © Jon Wright

The short line Winchester and Western on it's original line between Winchester and Gore, VA
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 407736
Photograph © Jon Wright

Private Charter on the former WM Connellsville Extension
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 403839
Photograph © Jon Wright

Old Reading Lurgan across the Yellow Breeches Creek near Boiling Springs, PA
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 414699
Photograph © Jon Wright

The last weekend of the B&O CPL Signal bridges on the East End.
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 417933
Photograph © Jon Wright

What could be the last Winter of the N&W CPL signals along the former NS H line between Hagerstown, MD and Front Royal, VA
Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 419468
Photograph © Jon Wright

Thanks for looking!

Jon
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #23
cblaz

As always, here are quick links to the previous years' threads: 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2005 (no 2006 thread).

- Chris
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
cblaz

My Top 10 Best/Favorites of the 64 pictures (out of over 40,000 shots) I added in 2012, from 10 to 1:

10. Of course, the heritage gathering in Spencer, NC was one of the highlights of the year. Obviously, my favorite shot would be of all 20, but since mine's not on RP, here's another of my favorites, proving its worth sticking around to the very end of an event, to get peopleless shots of the two namesake railroads of NS.
Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 402562
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

9a & 9b. More heritage, this time out on the mainline. Even though I got all 20 NS heritage units at Spencer, and 5 of the 6 UP engines in North Platte a few years ago, I still want to get them leading trains. This year, I was able to check off one from each group, when I caught the PC unit in central PA after chasing the 765, and the Southern Pacific unit visited my backyard on a beautiful, but cold, November morning.
PhotoID: 406799

PhotoID: 415686

8. Moving to a new town in north Jersey has put me closer to a variety of new spots I never would have considered before, like downtown Newark. I was able to explore a little bit in 2012 and now I have a checklist of shots to get in the coming year.
PhotoID: 392139

7. Steam returned to a Class I mainline in Pennsylvania this year, with NKP 765 leading employee excursions out of Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. I was able to chase both the eastbound and westbound ferry moves between the two cities, getting shots of steam at some of my favorite Middle Division and West Slope locations.
PhotoID: 406798

6 & 5. Steam also returned in NJ, with the number of operational steam locomotives in the state doubling this year, to a total of 2, with the return of Black River & Western 2-8-0 60. We were able to catch her first movements out of the yard under her own power and on the last day of excursions in 2012.
PhotoID: 406075

PhotoID: 419087

4. This year, I got to enjoy one of the most ultimate photo charter experiences, 5 full days on the Cumbres & Toltec (after 2 days on the Durango & Silverton and 1 on the Rio Grande Scenic). I got a ton of good shots, which will hopefully make it on RP in due time, but here's one of my favorites.
PhotoID: 413157

3 & 2. Hurricane Sandy left a lasting impression on New Jersey, and luckily I was able to get out and document a little of the aftermath and recovery.
PhotoID: 413671

PhotoID: 415409

1. My favorite shot of the year was the ultimate right place, right time. After the heritage gathering in Spencer, we decided to overnight in Roanoke on the way home on Thursday. The next morning, while checking out all the hot spots before hitting the road, we caught NS shuttling the VMT's newly repainted bicentennial SD45 and three heritage units to the former station for a photo shoot with the NS photographer. On the way back to the museum for the weekend's display, the photo train rolled past the tower and some CPLs as a local pulled out of the yard, allowing for a shot of high-hood EMDs in 2012.
PhotoID: 402770

- Chris
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Bob Pickering

Some really good stuff here.... Thanks for posting folks.
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote