Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
jlg759

Default Keywords for railroad photos

Hello All And Happy holidays.

I am getting ready to keyword my railroad photos I use lightroom but was wondering if anyone who puts keywords on their photos would like to share what information they keyword. I hope to be able to have a good system that allows me to find the information. My photos are in the same collection as my other photos so key wording becomes necessary. I thought about starting a second catalog and only keeping my rail photos in it but not sure what I want to do.

Joe
jlg759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Rich K

I use a simple system when naming my photos rather than actual keywording. I use the lead locomotive followed by the train symbol and then the date. Like this.

CSX5210_Q157_122312.jpg

A 4th term could be added like, mixed, coal, ethanol, grain, etc.

Just my method, but certainly not the most robust.

Merry Christmas to all.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
JRMDC

I use my photo sorting software - Canon Zoombrowser, came with the camera - to receive photos and put them in folders by date. My file naming convention is
RR[event].[location]citystatedate.train# with the parts in brackets optional.

I would like to set up something and have more keywords, but I have settled in to this system for now (and I do something similar for family and other pix, changing "RR" to "name", for example), especially as Zoombrowser also supports my Canon digicam. Should I even get a non-Canon camera, I will be forced to adopt something, and then I will presumably make a transition and do some tagging. Or stay lazy!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I also use the folders by date and keep a simple naming system for my editted pics. For example,

csxt2490sd3072

would be a CSX engine in lead. The 2490 is the IMG number the camera gives the file. So now if I want to start over from the RAW file, the 2490 tells me the exact file I need to get. The sd is for 60D. I used to use xti for my older camera. SD works because I want to keep it letters000letters000. The 3072 would be 3072 pixels large. Saved for RP would be

csxt2490sd1200

The same file name with something at the end would be a re-edit and could be anything from recrop to bw to color if I got a Bad Color rejection. Sometimes I am just lazy and give the re-edits a letter startign from a depending on how many versions I have.

I'm not the most organized person around, but this works for me.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich K View Post
I use a simple system when naming my photos rather than actual keywording. I use the lead locomotive followed by the train symbol and then the date. Like this.

CSX5210_Q157_122312.jpg
Same here, but I don't put the symbol in the file name, just the lead loco ID. I've never attempted to do any kind of keywording in a software program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I also use the folders by date and keep a simple naming system for my edited pics.
Close to the way I do it. For organizing, I have all my photos in dated folders with a small description of the contents as the folder title. Every year has a folder with all the dated folders in them.

If I have any trouble at all trying to locate the original location of an image I have online somewhere, I just look at the exif data for the date it was taken and I know right were that photo is on the hard drive.

This is what it looks like:

Name:  folder.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  138.1 KB

Last edited by JimThias; 12-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote