Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
sd9

Default "This photo should of got the rejection"

I love the comments people post on a photo, not to mention RP even approves them. You would think some people would do a little research before they posted the stupid comments, but ....no, (this reminds me of a photo of an insulator in which some people had the same opinion)
For a little more history on the "Im sorry but this has nothing to do with a picture of a train, This photo should of got the rejection" photo, I attached the link below
http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/his...ng/default.htm
BTW, Thanks David Hedlund, for sharing another forgotten part of Railroad history
Image © David Hedlund
PhotoID: 373883
Photograph © David Hedlund
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
nikos1

I dunno, its iffy, theres no railroad content showing, its essentially a boat roster. I love carfloat shots showing loading and offloading or maybe even just a view where we could see the cars on the deck but yeah, boat roster shot on a train site.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Just looks like a boat to me. Saying its railroad related, without showing anything that pertains to railroads just seems vague to me.. However it was accepted..
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

There was a "top 2" yesterday or the day before that was a really decent picture of a dirt road with zero railroad content. Im kind of surprised no one noticed that, that it got accepted, and that it got so many views. Maybe it was the "WTF factor"?

To be honest, I feel the same way as the OP about this shot...

Last edited by troy12n; 09-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I actually love Carl M.'s comment. I don't begrudge the photog from uploading it and it doesn't bother me per se that it was accepted, even though I agree with the folks who are being snarky about it. It's an L&N Church sign.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

Me thinks that those who attack are not railroad historians.

Everyone gets to enjoy what they enjoy about the hobby in my mind - the piling on to what you don't enjoy seems a bit sad.

It's a great, historic, RAILROAD shot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Mgoldman

A quick look to the avitar to the left will yield another unique photo that is railroad related with a interesting story behind it, though at least it in fact has a train in the photo.

It's an interesting argument that the boat could be acceptable material so long as a depot is, but I disagree. If you show someone, anyone, a photo of a depot and ask them what it is, they will say: "Railroad station". Ask them what the photo on RP is and they will simply say; "a boat". There is simply not enough connection to the railroad in that photo. If this was Trainorders or RYPN it would work well and as a history fan, I enjoyed it's acceptance, but in reality, it belongs on RP as much as an 18 wheeler with a CSX container on Interstate 95.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

What about this?

Image © Charles Knox Freericks (estate)
PhotoID: 214593
Photograph © Charles Knox Freericks (estate)

What others aren't accepting is that this is a railroad transport (it contains a freight train inside of it. It's the same as my dad's picture, but with a wrapper).
Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
What about this?

What others aren't accepting is that this is a railroad transport (it contains a freight train inside of it. It's the same as my dad's picture, but with a wrapper).
No issues w/ that shot...
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

so long as there's a freaking train in the boat, i don't see the problem....
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
What about this?

That's a great shot with a great history lesson in the caption. It's a barge with rail cars clearly visible.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

There is a similar picture of a ship with a giant Chessie Cat symbol on it in the data base.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
KevinM

Put me down with the camp that supports the inclusion of this shot in the RP data base. Railroad car ferries are very much a part of railroad history and there are other shots of similar vessels in the DB....just not many of those vessels actually underway. In a way, this shot fills a void of sorts in the DB. I don't see this as being similar to Admin allowing a shot of an Exxon Tanker. Exxon Tankers never carried rail cars between Great Lakes terminals. I don't care what the subject of the photo appears to be. I care what it is.

I could use the same argument that some folks are using to say that pictures of the interiors of steam boilers should be off limits, because we can't be sure they are LOCOMOTIVE steam boilers. After all, we can't see the exterior.....right? We know because the photographer says so, and part of our professional courtesy is that barring any compelling evidence to the contrary, we trust each other on the words we write. This car ferry is a bona fide piece of railroad history and hopefully, this image opened a few eyes.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Peter Reading
Aussie Driver

As it is, from Australia, it just looks like a boat. It would be a completely different story if there was an actual history of the boat and this transport in the caption, instead of the current "Ann Arbor Railroad Car Ferry". To me, all that says is this boat is a (motor)car ferry operated by a Railroad company. Nothing more. Can't see any trains, rail lines, nothing.

A short history, the to/from aspect, how and why it operates etc. would make this photo 1000 times better and offer an explanation as to why it is on a railway website.

Check out my photos at Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/7XwPU
Peter Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
This car ferry is a bona fide piece of railroad history and hopefully, this image opened a few eyes
So is MoW equipment, which is difficult to impossible to get on, even when you can usually identify that it is obviously railroad related.

How about this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg titanic copy.jpg (61.3 KB, 722 views)
Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #16
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
So is MoW equipment, which is difficult to impossible to get on, even when you can usually identify that it is obviously railroad related.

How about this?

LOL, that's a good one.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
coborn35

I find that it is less of a "thats not railroady" than "thats not a locomotive"
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #18
PLEzero

Who cares? If you don't like it, don't click on it. I agree that it's a bit of a stretch to be included into the database but it is railroad related. Either way, it's childish and very 'foamer like' to make a user comments about it under the photo. It's amazing and sad how negative the railfan community has become.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
Who cares? If you don't like it, don't click on it. I agree that it's a bit of a stretch to be included into the database but it is railroad related. Either way, it's childish and very 'foamer like' to make a user comments about it under the photo. It's amazing and sad how negative the railfan community has become.
Brad's dead on correct - what's the point in trashing?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
It's amazing and sad how negative the railfan community has become.
As though there was, in the past, some mythic "community" that never challenged each other about anything, that never disagreed.

Quote:
Brad's dead on correct - what's the point in trashing?
Who trashed? It's a nice roster shot. The issue of whether it should appear on RP is not an issue of trashing, at all.

I think at one point someone said "can't we all agree" or "can't we all just get along?" I modify that and say "can't we all just disagree?"

EDIT: upon review of the comments section to the shot, the above is withdrawn.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 09-06-2011 at 01:48 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Who trashed? It's a nice roster shot. The issue of whether it should appear on RP is not an issue of trashing, at all.
Hi J,

I could be wrong, but I think the reference was to the way in which some folks "decorated" David's photo with negative comments that he personally did not deserve. If there is an issue (and I personally don't agree that there is), then the issue is with the RP Staff for accepting the picture, not with David for submitting it. He committed no "crime". We all push the limits of the RP envelope occasionally, and his shot should not have all of that crap all over it because he tried something a little different. I would not blame him a bit if he deleted all of those comments.

The place to debate RP practices is here....not on someone's photo.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Conor Megaffin wrote:
This photo should of got the rejection: Poor Esthetic Quality.
Yes, yes it should'f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...I enjoyed it's acceptance, but in reality, it belongs on RP as much as an 18 wheeler with a CSX container on Interstate 95.
Bingo.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
As though there was, in the past, some mythic "community" that never challenged each other about anything, that never disagreed.

I think at one point someone said "can't we all agree" or "can't we all just get along?" I modify that and say "can't we all just disagree?"

I was, and I assume Brad was, talking about those posting on the picture itself.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think the reference was to the way in which some folks "decorated" David's photo with negative comments that he personally did not deserve.
Quote:
I was, and I assume Brad was, talking about those posting on the picture itself.
Sorry, guys

Quote:
EDIT: upon review of the comments section to the shot, the above is withdrawn.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #25
PLEzero

Quote:
Correct. I was referring to those that posted messages about RP under the photo. I believe that area should be reserved for comments on the photo, not about RP. There are plenty of more appropriate destinations to bash discuses RP practices.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote