Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default Light Field Camera

Some interesting new technology

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/2...-later-camera/

Apparently, one can shoot once, then later choose the focus point and whether the rest is blurred by shallow DoF.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

i read about this. sounds goofy to me. cameras already can autofocus. why change it later?
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
i read about this. sounds goofy to me. cameras already can autofocus. why change it later?
In case the camera you have can't. Some of the comments on the article answered your question though, surveillance cameras can sure use this. No more pixellated blobs of perps faces 15 feet from the ATM camera. Another use for this, battlefield surveillance. Poke your weapon over a wall or berm, snap the picture and look for those jihadies.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
If I understand what I am reading correctly, then I think one advantage is the multiple depths of focus. So I can take one shot, then later at home I can choose, say, whether I want the foreground blurred, the background blurred, or neither blurred. I don't have to get it right at the time, and I don't have to take multiple shots if I want to experiment with the scene.

Pushing that further, it appears that you can take a shot and at that moment in time info is captured on every object in the frame. So you can never mis-focus, never have your autofocus focus on the wrong point, because you are capturing all of them automatically.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I could perhaps see the advantage for some technical or security application, but for art? If you can't decide what you want in focus when holding the camera, you've got big problems.

BTW, I just got back from dropping off a couple of rolls of B&W film at the camera shop. I'm getting prints!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
lock4244

I'm curious as to how fast the camera can shoot... seems like a lot of data to capture and that'd make it slow. Unless it has one hell of a big buffer. I like the multiple depth of focus, that is really cool.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Pushing that further, it appears that you can take a shot and at that moment in time info is captured on every object in the frame. So you can never mis-focus, never have your autofocus focus on the wrong point, because you are capturing all of them automatically.
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention about this "camera" is the lack of a shutter speed. If it can instantaneously keep track of light hue, intensity, and other properties, then simply saves that info at a certain moment in time, it's the equivalent of a very fast shutter speed, and can be used in any lighting condition. Just think about it...handheld night shots without blurring!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
JRMDC

The (limited) stuff I read made no mention of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. It was said that resolution is greatly reduced - so instead of a 10mp camera one gets much less.

My loose interpretation is that they are using pixel sites to measure light coming in from different angles, so you need to use more pixels to capture the same scene. Alternatively, you will lose pixels (multiplicatively) in capturing any scene. So the reductions are on the order of 16x or 32x, if I was skimming the material correctly. Feel free to correct me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
In case the camera you have can't. Some of the comments on the article answered your question though, surveillance cameras can sure use this. No more pixellated blobs of perps faces 15 feet from the ATM camera.
Haven't you ever watched CSI:Miami? This technology has existed for years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The (limited) stuff I read made no mention of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. It was said that resolution is greatly reduced - so instead of a 10mp camera one gets much less.
J, take a look at this link I saw on another forum the other day: http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrend...ographyforever

There is a sample photo that you can click on to change the areas of sharpness and blur. It seems there are some image quality issues with the sample photo. Check out the weird grid that appears in different "sharp" areas of the photo. It's really evident on the guy in the hat scratching his neck.

I'm sure in years to come the quality of the technology will dramatically increase, but for now it seems to have some minor flaws.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 06-25-2011 at 05:33 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

The way I see this is that the camera takes a picture at a very small f-stop, possibly F64 or something to that effect. The software creates a blurry image and then you can move the focus field around. Just my guess. Of course 3D would have to come into play.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
The way I see this is that the camera takes a picture at a very small f-stop, possibly F64 or something to that effect. The software creates a blurry image and then you can move the focus field around. Just my guess. Of course 3D would have to come into play.

Chris Z
As I read it, it is different, it isn't a software thing, it is in the first instance a hardware thing, a different sensor design, one attuned to rays of light coming in from different directions, I think.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
JRMDC

This article makes the intuition underlying the technology clearer; at least it did for me.

http://www.economist.com/node/21527019

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots