Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
troy12n
Banned

Default Absolutely BRUTAL

My air conditioner broke on Wednesday, I had someone come out Friday morning to look at it, and my compressor motor is blown. Long story short: I can pay $2200 to fix it (a unit built in 1993) or anywhere from $3900 to $12000 to replace my whole air conditioning system.

Back story: Apparently the refrigerant my system uses is R22, and they stopped making it in 2010, and they no longer produce new R22 systems (condeners, air handlers), but they do make PARTS for them. You cannot mix R22 and the new "Puron" components, so I have to buy a new Condenser and Air Handler, I cannot buy a new R22 Condenser. But I can buy the compressor motor part for my existing condenser.

I have had 4 companies out to quote me for system replacement. I know nothing about this stuff, but am learning fast. I have a 3 ton unit and am having to decide WHAT company, WHAT equipment, WHAT SEER rating, etc. And all this at a time where money is tight.

So yes, this sucks. It's in the mid 90's here during the day and cools down to a dank 80 degrees at night, with 70% humidity.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Cry me a river so I can take my boat for a ride in it.. : - )
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
JRMDC

Good luck, Troy, tough decisions. I am sympathetic because power outages are common here, both summer storms and wintry ice storms; just a few nights ago I slept in the family room because the power went off and it was cooler.

But of course we will in the future ignore anything you say about the benefits of Florida weather.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
But of course we will in the future ignore anything you say about the benefits of Florida weather.
LoL, yea. I guess I would rather be in the cold with no heat than this right now. You can always bundle up, but you can only take so much off. Today at least it is breezy, makes it a little less awful. But it's just blowing around hot humid air.

Guess I wont be buying any new lenses this year.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
DWHonan

My sympathies, Troy -- money sure sucks, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
Cry me a river so I can take my boat for a ride in it.. : - )
Gosh, it must be nice to not have to worry about being a responsible adult and developing any sense of maturity. Seriously, dude -- don't mock a guy when he comes to his group of online friends looking for a shoulder to lean on.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Been there, done that.... I wish there had been a $2,200.00 option.

Six grand.

All I could think about was how many lenses I could've added to my collection instead. Add a MAC notebook, and still would've had change.

The good news is that a new air conditioner will save you enough to buy a new lens in only 12 to 15 years.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
LoL, yea. I guess I would rather be in the cold with no heat than this right now. You can always bundle up, but you can only take so much off. Today at least it is breezy, makes it a little less awful. But it's just blowing around hot humid air.
Hot, humid air becomes cool air if you drive fast enough, so go take a drive on the highway if you need a break from the heat. The moisture content makes the air feel cool the faster the wind is. That doesn't work with dry heat though.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Been there, done that.... I wish there had been a $2,200.00 option.

Six grand.

All I could think about was how many lenses I could've added to my collection instead. Add a MAC notebook, and still would've had change.

The good news is that a new air conditioner will save you enough to buy a new lens in only 12 to 15 years.

/Mitch
Well, the $2200 option is a really short term option which would be stupid for me to do. The air handler is 25 years old and according to the tech's I had out, "should have been dead by now". If it gets a leak, I just wasted $2200, because at that point I would have to do the "replace the entire system" option anyway.

At this point, I am trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra couple grand on a higher SEER rated unit which will lower my electric bill or not. These higher efficiency units have ROI measured in YEARS, so I think I may just get a 13 or 14 SEER unit and be done with it. I just need to pick a company I am comfortable with who has good customer service ratings.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

What is an air conditioner? What does it do?

(Sorry - had to go there - 75 degrees here, like it always is, every day of the year - with zero humidity).

Tough hit there, Troy. Hope it works out for you.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Ween

You could always sleep in your car with the air conditioning running...and you'll want to do it in the garage with door closed so the cool air stays in!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
You could always sleep in your car with the air conditioning running...and you'll want to do it in the garage with door closed so the cool air stays in!
If I was gonna do that, there is a nice tall bridge nearby

Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

When wisenheimers clash!

As an aside, I landed at Tampa Airport within about five or ten minutes of the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge collapse. Never been happier about a plane coming to a stop as I was that day... quite a storm.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

I remember that day like it was yesterday, I was haunted by the pictures/video of them digging that Grayhound bus off the bottom of the bay on the news for years. I dont even know why, but all those pictures on the news seemed so graphic to me at the time. I was in like 4th or 5th grade when that happened, and then a couple years later I got to watch the space shuttle blow up right in front of my face watching it outside from school.

Also, they left the old bridge just hang there for years while they built the new one, so every time you drove southbound, you drove right past where the span fell and you saw the road just END. That was a scary bridge to begin with, it had no solid deck, it was a grated deck and you could look straight down to the water, and as ships were going under it, people would freak out and just STOP, especially after it got hit.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

I was 18. It was my first time ever in Florida. My dad was working on a new hotel in Clearwater as a civil engineer (wish I remembered which one). Watching the news that night, saw the anchor crying as the bus driver (if I remember right) was his next door neighbhor.

The plane that we came in on was making noises like I've never heard a plane make. The ceiling panels were moving in opposite directions from each other. It was truly freaky. When the plane had all tires on the ground and had come to a normal speed, all the passengers broke out into a massive round of applause. The captain came on the loud speaker and said something about "that was a heck of a lot of wind, huh?"

They made us sit on the tarmac for about another half hour because the rain was coming down too hard to bring the jetway up to the plane.

To this day, I cannot understand why they didn't divert the plane at that point in time, seeing how bad the conditions were.

Last edited by Freericks; 06-01-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
What is an air conditioner? What does it do?

(Sorry - had to go there - 75 degrees here, like it always is, every day of the year - with zero humidity).

Tough hit there, Troy. Hope it works out for you.

With the exception of the every day of the year part, sounds like Fairbanks.

That sucks Troy. Been there too.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
troy12n
Banned

I found this a while back when it was the 30th anniversary of the accident, it's chilling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

Chilling is the right word. Wow... that is really upsetting.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
troy12n
Banned

You know, the hits keep coming. Last month it was the air conditioner, this month:

I'm starting to think that someone up there don't like me. What's the encore, a hurricane hits and destroys my house?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
viper

Default Things not to say or think

Never ask what else can happen or what is next, you WILL find out and you won't like it either.

Never say or think "It can't get any worse" cause it can and will get worse.

This guy gets up one morning and realizes his clock did not go off on time so he's late. Things keep piling on, can't find his shoes, the laces break, etc. Gets to his car, it won't start. He gets it stared and gets a flat. Fixes that and runs out of gas. His whole day is like this. He finally throws his hands up in the air and says "why me God, why me?". A voice comes out of the heavens and says "I don't know, you just piss me off for some reason".

Your comment made me think of that joke and I thought you could use a laugh Troy. Hope things get smoother for you soon.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote