Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
kooi2017

Send a message via AIM to kooi2017
Default Good Idea/Bad Idea

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=274874

This one was rejected for bad motive. Personally I thought it was pretty neat (yes, yes I know that is all that really matters ), but I thought I'd at least share it with all you fine forum people for some feedback since it didn't make the site. Honestly I'm still rather confused by the rationale of the reject. It's not too often you see a flare protected grade crossing and I thought this photo captured a dramatic scene with the illuminated smoke. Now I don't know if I will come across a photo op like this any time soon, but it would be interesting to know which creative night shots are acceptable and which aren't. So I'm just looking for a little honest feedback. Is this really a "bad" photo? If so what type of night shots would be better? Thanks.

Last edited by kooi2017; 08-05-2006 at 07:31 AM.
kooi2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

My overall impression of the photo: The left half looks great, the right half, not so great. That white blob of smoke just kills the photo, IMO, and the hazy streaking headlights. It's an interesting shot, but like the rejection says, it lacks esthetic qualities. It was worth trying to get in, because you never know, but that's a shot you should treasure for yourself.

If you get a similar opportunity, I'd try a side shot from the middle of the street. That might be pretty interesting!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

The picture is a big blob of white light. I can't tell if it is a train or an UFO landing. Even though it is a night shot, you still need some details.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Ween

Quote:
I thought this photo captured a dramatic scene with the illuminated smoke.
The first thing I thought was, "What the hell is that annoying white blob on the right side of the frame?" For me nothing too dramatic, and rare or not, it's just not visually pleasing...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
kooi2017

Send a message via AIM to kooi2017

Point taken. The category of the reject made me focus more on the idea rather than the aesthetics of the photo. I suppose it's really more of a bad angle than anything. The more I look at it, the more obnoxious the right side looks. Well, its not the first time I've screwed up the chance for a really neat night shot, and I'm sure it won't be the last. This is why I usually stick to daytime wedgies.

Last edited by kooi2017; 08-05-2006 at 07:37 AM.
kooi2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The first thing I thought was, "What the hell is that annoying white blob on the right side of the frame?" For me nothing too dramatic, and rare or not, it's just not visually pleasing...
First thing I thought was oh great, we've got kids screwing around with flares now...just what us railfans really need.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
First thing I thought was oh great, we've got kids screwing around with flares now...just what us railfans really need.
Exactly what I thought. If the train was moving across the crossing you could have shown the headligth streaks (although these usually get "Bad Motive" (but hey its worth a shot) and/or you could have flashed (nto the stuff you see stopping action but at least have gotten the RR logo to appear "ghost-like" over the crossing. I like the idea of the flares due to rarity but you didn't include anything that RAILpictures could accept other than the crossing. Get yourself some flares and abandoned crossing and a flashlight and you can get the same image. Just my honest opinion like everyone else.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote