Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
GBR

Default Fire

Is there any policy about the shots of accidents?

Image © Chris J. Allen
PhotoID: 422220
Photograph © Chris J. Allen

Although in the picture is not visible, but the bodies are there in the fire. In my opinion, no matter how good composition (with the advertisement) and interesting shot, it is not correct to publish here in a few hours after the incident.
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
magicman_841

It's unusual for RP, maybe, but there are websites devoted exclusively to stuff like that.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
DWHonan

Images such as, and worse than, this are published by news organizations all the time. There is no RP guideline prohibiting submitting newsworthy photos. Given those two simple facts, I do not see how it is "not correct" to upload the photo here.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

So how long should pass before the above image can be posted? It's a fine pice of photojournalism..... in spite of it being a wedgie.*

* See also inane thread on ObsCar YahooGroup
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
WMHeilman

I'm glad the shot was accepted AND got the mass views it did from being on the front page. Just a great (but chilling) example of what can happen if you're enough of a dumbass to try and beat a train to a crossing. I feel no sympathy for the driver. I can't say the same for the passenger...
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
KevinM

Personally, I'm not a fan of shots like that, and I found this one particularly distasteful, for the very reason the OP mentioned. I didn't need to see a shot of the carnage in Newtown, CT and I certainly don't need to see a cremation in progress.

There are times when one has to just put that damn camera down and either help deal with the issue, or show some respect for those less fortunate than the rest of us. Any one of us could make a mistake tomorrow and end up cashing in our chips.

It's OK for RP to have a documentary side. I'd just hate to see that become a tabloid side.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post
Is there any policy about the shots of accidents?

Image © Chris J. Allen
PhotoID: 422220
Photograph © Chris J. Allen

Although in the picture is not visible, but the bodies are there in the fire. In my opinion, no matter how good composition (with the advertisement) and interesting shot, it is not correct to publish here in a few hours after the incident.
You know this for a fact that they are there, or are you assuming they are?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
That would be a pretty safe assumption I should think in this case...
It is possible they foamed the car, did the extraction then the fire flared up again however.

Last edited by wds; 01-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Flowing

If nothing else, this photo has generated lots of talk. I find it particularly horrifying and my gut feeling is that I don't like seeing it on Railpictures. However, I acknowledge that the photo would be a powerful candidate for use in highway and railroad crossing safety education, such as an Operation Lifesaver program. If this photo wouldn't get the message across, what would? In those instances, it's the intent not to sugar coat reality and show the harsh consequences of thoughtless actions. However, Railpictures isn't the venue I'd have chosen for this 'harsh reality' photo had I taken it (which I probably wouldn't have in the first place).
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Ween

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1246217

Doesn't say it in the article itself, but the photo caption says:

"She was rushing her elderly father to the doctors office when she drove around a crossing guard at the Long Island Rail Road station."

Don't know if it was a routine visit (and she was running late) or if it was an emergency situation. Either way, the train wins...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
GBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
"Once the fire was extinguished, first responders extracted two bodies from the vehicle, which Arena described as ‘burnt beyond recognition.’"
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
"Once the fire was extinguished, first responders extracted two bodies from the vehicle, which Arena described as ‘burnt beyond recognition.’"
Very sad, cant help but feel sorry for the families of the victims, and the crew of the train. Considering that there are human beings in that car, I don't think it should have been posted. But then again newspapers do it all the time..
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
crazytiger

I'm going to pipe up in defense of it being posted for a few reasons. 1) That there were bodies in the car at the time the picture was taken, to me, doesn't mean it shouldn't be shown. This type of photo is published all the time. For that matter, no pictures of 9/11 should ever have been shown. Sh*t happens. 2) By all accounts, someone didn't heed the warning and paid for it. And as such, in the ensuing publicity, I hope this provides a lesson to someone somewhere that may decide not to bypass the gates in a given situation. That seems like plenty enough reason to me for it to be shown. Yes, it's disturbing, but I don't think that's a reason to reject this photo. If it were genuinely gory, I would have a different opinion. Finally, IMO, it should be up to the photographer to decide and, in this case, he elected to post it.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
GBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Finally, IMO, it should be up to the photographer to decide and, in this case, he elected to post it.
This has become immediately (and forever?) the most popular and most favorited image of Chris from 359. Maybe he already regretted the upload... (Just IMO, I don't know the Truth.)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb I would have photographed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
That would be a pretty safe assumption I should think in this case...
It is possible they foamed the car, did the extraction then the fire flared up again however.
LOL!

I thought it was great how all the comments on this image talk about how two people were killed, and yet none address that fact that they are still in there.

I thought about posting "Nice BBQ picture ya got there" but I figured the faithful would freak out if I eluded to the obvious.

Funny how shallow many of the people on this Site are, and yet they have kittens over something like this:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 324321
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

I would have taken the shot and submitted it, what the heck.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

It makes me glad some of you guys weren't around when Nick Ut took his iconic "Vietnam Napalm" photo for the AP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Ut

I'm not sugesting that Chris Allen's shot is on par with that. Certainlyit is not as far as a historical context, but life often is not pretty and neither is death, but sometimes it needs to be seen. Just as that awful day in Sepetember, 2001 when we saw people jumping from the highest floors of the World Trade Center.

I don't *see* the carnage here. I don't consider it gruesome, either. I know there were people in the car when this shot was taken, but I don't see any remnants. This should be here on RP and I'm glad he loaded it.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Is RP.net a photography site, or a news website?

On it's very own title bar is says the "Best Railroad Photos On the Net"... nowhere does it say RP is anything about news, or current events. They only accept "newsworthy" photos when they think it'll result in a click-fest which means it generates revenue for the site. (tarp-covered UP heritage units inside a dimly lit building, anyone, Bueller...?)

Quality is obviously subjective, the only thing that makes that photo remotely railroad related is that it happens to be in front of a LIRR commuter train.

I don't go to RP.net looking for news, I go looking for quality photos of railroad subjects. This particular specimen is piss poor in quality, especially for RP's occasionally enforced standards. First rejection should have been for "distracting shadows" (tree shadows on side of railcar, foreground in shade). Second rejection "unlevel" since it's obvious the photographer didn't level the photo at all. Thirdly, the cropping is awful, cropped off half of the passenger car, wires and poles hanging in the background with no place to go.

But it's RP.net... all is forgiven as long as it's "newsworthy".... nevermind that news reporting is not their forte. If it was, there should be a dozen screeners on duty 24/7/365 waiting for photos to get posted, not 4 or 5 that get to the screening queue as they find the time.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It makes me glad some of you guys weren't around when Nick Ut took his iconic "Vietnam Napalm" photo for the AP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Ut
I am glad you bought that shot up Joe, since people are always bashing on the quality and relevance for "grab shots."

This was a grab shot, and it won the Pulizer.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post

On it's very own title bar is says the "Best Railroad Photos On the Net"... nowhere does it say RP is anything about news, or current events. They only accept "newsworthy" photos when they think it'll result in a click-fest which means it generates revenue for the site. (tarp-covered UP heritage units inside a dimly lit building, anyone, Bueller...?)

Quality is obviously subjective, the only thing that makes that photo remotely railroad related is that it happens to be in front of a LIRR commuter train.

I don't go to RP.net looking for news, I go looking for quality photos of railroad subjects. This particular specimen is piss poor in quality, especially for RP's occasionally enforced standards. First rejection should have been for "distracting shadows" (tree shadows on side of railcar, foreground in shade). Second rejection "unlevel" since it's obvious the photographer didn't level the photo at all. Thirdly, the cropping is awful, cropped off half of the passenger car, wires and poles hanging in the background with no place to go.

But it's RP.net... all is forgiven as long as it's "newsworthy".... nevermind that news reporting is not their forte. If it was, there should be a dozen screeners on duty 24/7/365 waiting for photos to get posted, not 4 or 5 that get to the screening queue as they find the time.
You should win an award for this. Nailed it! RP is all about quality unless it's a photo of an accident, women, LTE, or a flash shot at night with 2 flashes

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
Joe the Photog

Quote:
The easy and most obvious answer is: Yes! It can be both and nowhere do they suggest otherwise. They obviously accept newsworthy shots and sometimes those shots are, shall we say, less than great. But this is a railroad photography web site and it would seem silly to reject a newsworthy shot because it's not perfect.
Quote:
I don't go to RP.net looking for news, I go looking for quality photos of railroad subjects.
And that's totally fine. For you.
Quote:
This particular specimen is piss poor in quality, especially for RP's occasionally enforced standards. First rejection should have been for "distracting shadows" (tree shadows on side of railcar, foreground in shade). Second rejection "unlevel" since it's obvious the photographer didn't level the photo at all. Thirdly, the cropping is awful, cropped off half of the passenger car, wires and poles hanging in the background with no place to go.
To be honest, I didn't note any of those issues except for the cropping until you brought them up. When I was in news if I went to shoot this scene and came back empty handed, my boss would want to know why. If I said, "but there were distracting shadows on the car, all those power lines and poles..." Well first, my boss would have a heart attack. And then they would have screamed at me so loud that windows would have shattered, the anchors ears would have bled and the boss would have broken vocal cords.

Of course, this isn't a newsroom, as you are about to say. But the point remains. You don't reject what frankly is a unique shot for reasons that people would have brought a typical shot in here for complaining about. It shows something I personally have never seen -- a car on fire after being hit by a train. I guess I have seen the aftermath before, but not the actual scene.

At a passenger platform, nonetheless. The real story here might actually be that only two people lost their lives and not more.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
GBR

There is no doubt that this image has a very strong dramatic effect. It could win press photo award.

But: This site is not only an informational database, for me (and I think most of us) this site is a forum where we can present our creations, we can get (competent) audience and we are competing for views, favorites, etc. In this picture, two humans currently die. Might be I am wrong, but in my opinion this theme is not “correct” to this site.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

Quote:
There is no doubt that this image has a very strong dramatic effect. but in my opinion this theme is not “correct” to this site.
The truth is that as much as debate the contents of this site, none of our opinions matter much. The admins and now the screeners rarely come to these forums anymore and since they took the photo, I suppose their intentions were clear.
Quote:
this site is a forum where we can present our creations, we can get (competent) audience and we are competing for views, favorites, etc.
Which is what the photographer of the photo in question has done.
Quote:
In this picture, two humans currently die. Might be I am wrong, but in my opinion this theme is not “correct” to this site.
It's not the only photo on the site that depicts death, though, and I do not recall a debate over those pictures. I realize this shot is a little different in that regards as the bodies have not been moved, but death is death.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The easy and most obvious answer is: Yes! It can be both and nowhere do they suggest otherwise. They obviously accept newsworthy shots and sometimes those shots are, shall we say, less than great. But this is a railroad photography web site and it would seem silly to reject a newsworthy shot because it's not perfect.

And that's totally fine. For you.

To be honest, I didn't note any of those issues except for the cropping until you brought them up. When I was in news if I went to shoot this scene and came back empty handed, my boss would want to know why. If I said, "but there were distracting shadows on the car, all those power lines and poles..." Well first, my boss would have a heart attack. And then they would have screamed at me so loud that windows would have shattered, the anchors ears would have bled and the boss would have broken vocal cords.

Of course, this isn't a newsroom, as you are about to say. But the point remains. You don't reject what frankly is a unique shot for reasons that people would have brought a typical shot in here for complaining about. It shows something I personally have never seen -- a car on fire after being hit by a train. I guess I have seen the aftermath before, but not the actual scene.

At a passenger platform, nonetheless. The real story here might actually be that only two people lost their lives and not more.
Joe, they reject more unique shots than that from this site all the time for the very same reasons I listed above... sorry, that dog don't hunt.

You're correct, a newsroom and especially news producer would have every reason to give you the riot act for not getting the photos. But you make my point with your pre-emptive "this is not a newsroom" comment. That is your profession and why you would have been sent to the scene in the first place.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
KevinM

No argument that most news organizations would shoot whatever they could while in the field. It is also true that the Program Managers and Editors at any major media outlet would likely cull out anything like the shot we are discussing, because of the potential public outcry over the insensitivity of showing accident victims being cremated....or worse yet, burning alive.

Only the tabloids would publish material like this. That is because they only care about views (sales). Community standards mean nothing to them because they don't have to renew their FCC licenses every so many years, like the broadcast media does.

I don't see any police, fire or EMS people in this photo. If this were indeed the scene of a fatal accident, it would never have been left alone, because the NTSB has to be involved and the evidence needs to be preserved. That really makes me wonder about the circumstances in which this photo was taken. If this person was on-scene and the authorities had not arrived yet....then why the hell wasn't he looking for a fire extinguisher vs. standing around taking silly-ass pictures?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
No argument that most news organizations would shoot whatever they could while in the field. It is also true that the Program Managers and Editors at any major media outlet would likely cull out anything like the shot we are discussing, because of the potential public outcry over the insensitivity of showing accident victims being cremated....or worse yet, burning alive.

Only the tabloids would publish material like this. That is because they only care about views (sales). Community standards mean nothing to them because they don't have to renew their FCC licenses every so many years, like the broadcast media does.

I don't see any police, fire or EMS people in this photo. If this were indeed the scene of a fatal accident, it would never have been left alone, because the NTSB has to be involved and the evidence needs to be preserved. That really makes me wonder about the circumstances in which this photo was taken. If this person was on-scene and the authorities had not arrived yet....then why the hell wasn't he looking for a fire extinguisher vs. standing around taking silly-ass pictures?
Kevin wins this thread hands down... and raises a very strong argument about the security of the scene...