Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Ron Flanary

Default Kudos, RP.net

From time to time, I’ve been a little hard on RP.net’s screeners for what I felt was a general lack of inclusiveness for the “different” photo that might be uploaded. Many such shots have been accepted over the years, but sometimes these shots get a “PEQ” tag that isn’t fair. Of course not everyone likes the “artsy-fartsy” train photos that approach pure art—those that show expression, creativity, unusual compositions, strong lines and use of light and textures. In fact, a heavy percentage of RP.net contributors and viewers like their train shots to be sunny, three quarter, and very conventional. In short, they see train photography as documentation rather than “art.” There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. There are no right ways or wrong ways (except in technical terms, which is a different issue).

However, for as long as I’ve contributed to this site (which goes to the very beginning), I’ve urged RP.net’s folks to broaden their acceptance of shots that might be “out there.” So---they’ve done it! All you have to do is look at some of Blair Kooistra’s imaginative images to see for yourself. And, judging from the view counts, many others agree. There are some others who have stretched themselves artistically, but Blair’s work (shots which were often taken 30 years ago or earlier) stands out.

Kudos, RP.net! I think you’ve really matured and evolved into a better site because of all this.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Ween

Sorry, but this one's just too in your face:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Sorry, but this one's just too in your face:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Good one!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
BurghMan

When I saw that photo, I though it was Rambo watching a CN train pass!
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
However, for as long as I’ve contributed to this site (which goes to the very beginning), I’ve urged RP.net’s folks to broaden their acceptance of shots that might be “out there.” So---they’ve done it! All you have to do is look at some of Blair Kooistra’s imaginative images to see for yourself. And, judging from the view counts, many others agree. There are some others who have stretched themselves artistically, but Blair’s work (shots which were often taken 30 years ago or earlier) stands out.

Kudos, RP.net! I think you’ve really matured and evolved into a better site because of all this.
Agreed. RP's offerings have become much more enjoyable over the last year as photographers like Blair and the Dannemans have begun contributing their incredible work -- a significant portion of which isn't the boring "sunny over the shoulder wedgie" stuff that seems to be so prevalent -- to the site.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote