Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #176
troy12n
Banned

No it does not. But I think what some of them are saying is that I have admitted my guilt and I am prepared to let the cards fall where they may. It's your right and opportunity to pile on. I knew you would be one of the ones that would. Fire away.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #177
coborn35

You knew I would? What because you did something wrong? There is a big difference between admitting you did something wrong because its the right thing to do, or admitting you did something wrong after everyone has already called you on it.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #178
troy12n
Banned

That's not what I meant. I knew you would because you and me have gone back and forth on some other things in the past. And that's ok.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #179
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I would say its pretty immature to photoshop the front of one engine on to another.
No, that's not immature in my book. That's pretty decent photoshop skills. It's at least better than fake snow. You could make a better arguement that it's immature to submit it to a screened web site whose rules specifically are against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Does it make everything ok because he is civil about it? So if I photoshop some shots I wont get yelled at because I am civil about it?
It certainly makes things better.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #180
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
That's not what I meant. I knew you would because you and me have gone back and forth on some other things in the past. And that's ok.
Yea people with strong opinions do tend to clash alot. I mean you see what you did wrong and I guess thats the best part.

Joe, you know what I meant.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #181
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
While we're on the subject, is this legit? I mean, REALLY???

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 318740
Photograph © Chase55671

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 231229
Photograph © Ron Flanary
Peter,

Not doing yourself any favors calling out a photographer like Ron Flanary. That's as bad as me calling out George Hamlin a few months ago. It's especially bad when the photo shows no evidence of photoshop.

As I PM'ed you before, you need to calm down a bit acting as if you're the forum police. I originally had a similar attitude and was notified about it, privately. Not trying to be rude, just pointing out a suggestion.

I think others might agree when I say you come off as a bit of a leader, telling others how to take their photos, when honestly, you need to work on how to take your own. I think this was just taking it to the next level, calling out a photographer like Ron.

As for my shot, no need to bring it up. Sure, it's relevant to what this thread has turned into, but at this point, nothing positive will come out of this thread. The photo in mention had a thread dedicated to itself back when it was originally uploaded. Since then, the issue has been resolved. End of story.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #182
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Chase, Ron's shot is as clearly photoshopped as yours. There's something you should know from staring at the recent eclipse, and that's this: The moon is small! You don't get it looking like that from a wide angle view, period. Anyways, that discussion's long past, and the photos are still apparently here, so it must be good enough to ignore them.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #183
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Chase, Ron's shot is as clearly photoshopped as yours. There's something you should know from staring at the recent eclipse, and that's this: The moon is small! You don't get it looking like that from a wide angle view, period. Anyways, that discussion's long past, and the photos are still apparently here, so it must be good enough to ignore them.
I didn't notice any odd pixels around the moon to indicate use of Photoshop, but you're definitely right about the moon appearing large, despite the wide angle scene.

And as far as the eclipse, I wasn't fortunate enough to see it, thanks to a low pressure system.

Chase

Sent from my iPhone
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 01-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #184
crazytiger

Yeah, I shouldn't have. It was just interesting on my part because I was like, "Oh, looks like a call out thread. What is one of the first things to PS? The moon, duh." So I poked in moon and searched through all the photos and clicked on a few that looked like they had moon size issues in the thumbnail and both of these were obviously PS'ed. So, I posted them.

BTW, I had forgotten about the thread about your shot. But I remember it now. I'm just asking to what extent is photo manipulation acceptable? Apparently to some extent, which is a lot further than RP says in their Photo Submission Guidelines.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #185
Chris Starnes
Administrator

The offending images have been removed from the database (or at least I believe I found them all) and the necessary administrative actions have been taken. If I have missed some, please shoot me a PM.

Adding fake snow to get around a cloudy/common rejection is a waste of your time and ours. I would suggest you put the same amount of time into finding new locations or creating interesting or creative compositions and people will actually respect you instead of creating an 8 page thread about you. Our apologies for not addressing this sooner.

Happy New Year all!
Closed Thread